pathology results finally

Andrea

We got the pathology results, the margins were clean and they removed lots of lymphs. The surgeon told my mom yesterday that she is now in the "favored" group of being "potentially curable", although I don't buy it. We see so many people living with NED, but then ED just returns and it is still more likeley than not it will come back. We just have to keep fighting. The surgeon said she will feel crappy for a few months from the surgery.

Another intersting thing, the report has her at Stage 2B. I called the surgeon office and the nurse explained that a mediastinal lymph was positive during the mediastonoscopy which automatically makes it Stage 3, but they cannot be sure till the "big surgery" and now they have her as 2B clinically. I don't think it much matters, we just need to wait and see. Don't get me wrong, I am GRATEFUL that we now have a chance. I just am overall bummed and depressed and mad at how this disease robs us, the uncertainty, etc.

My mom's oncologist wants to do his own tissue testing and then will decide upon radiation and/or chemo.

That's all for now. We started a trial which got continued, so I am going to work on finding a venue for the walk.

If the lymph nodes are the hilar lymph node then it is stage IIA, or IIB.

The regional lymph nodes are numbered 1-14. 1-9 make the staging N2 so it is stage III. There is a fairly big different between IIA, IIB and stage IIIA. Maybe that is why the Dr said you she is in the favorable group.

http://www.chestx-ray.com/StagingLungCa ... aging.html

http://www.chestx-ray.com/StagingLungCa ... pNode.html

If the lymph nodes are the hilar lymph node then it is stage IIA, or IIB.

The regional lymph nodes are numbered 1-14. 1-9 make the staging N2 so it is stage III. There is a fairly big different between IIA, IIB and stage IIIA. Maybe that is why the Dr said you she is in the favorable group.

http://www.chestx-ray.com/StagingLungCa ... aging.html

http://www.chestx-ray.com/StagingLungCa ... pNode.html

Thanks John. That was helpful. The new report says "this is now clinical stage 2b (t2-n1-m0).

During the mediastonoscopy, a l ymph in the right upper paratrachael was positive, so they made it stage 3 at t hat time.

This is all so confusing. And statistics are the worse, some websites say 23%, others high, others lower. I guess it is best not to look at those :)

Forget the statistics. They are old, based on outdated protocols.

Your mom is in better shape than you think.

I had much more extensive surgery, and they weren't as cheerful on reporting.

I am still here.

NED for 3 1/2 years now.

Your mom and you all are in my prayers...

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Andrea,

I don't know about the reports or the seemingly confused ways of staging. I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I wold also suggest using your eyes and ears and time with your mother to decide how well she is doing. Those things you are reading, are no more than guessess. The answer you seek is with your mom. Just give her all your love. That's what she wants and needs from you.

Elaine

Andrea,

Maryann is right don't worry about the statistics. It still doesnt seem like they are sure about the lymph node. In any case, has anything been done for the blood clots. There is some evidence that blood thinners, particularly low weight herapin (I think it is lovenox) has an anti-tumor effect, possibly because it inhibits angiogenesis

I was really confused about the lymph nodes also, the surgeon kept on talking about station? or "some term" 4? I thought there isnt an N4 - so I dug around the net and found out about the regional lymph node map.

Take care.

Thanks everyone :)

As for the blood clots, she is on cumadin for it. She went off and had lovenix shots before surgery. They took her blood on Monday to check levels ( i forget the name of waht th ey look for for clots), and her level was good, so they want her to stick with cumadin.

I myself am a FIRM believer that statistics are outdated and we should not look at them. They are based upon studies from years ago w hen treatments were different. I can honestly call myself hypocritical for even worrying about that b/c i am the first to jump up and d own and explain how logically they are outdated ;)

Andrea,

Something I don't see mentioned is the type of NSCLC your mother has, and the grade of the tumor, both of which Oncologists view as indicators of disease progression. This information would be found on the pathology report, too.

The lower the grade (better differintiation of tumor cells) typically the less aggressive the cancer, which means slower growing and less likely to spread.

Glad your Mom got such great news. :)

Thanks Fay :) It is Grade A, highly undifferentiated adenocarcinoma. Also called now broncheogenic carcinoma. So it is the fast fast spreading kind. My hope is that it they keep a close eye so should it come back, it is nipped in the bud ASAP.

I told my mom I very well could have saved her life b/c no one in their right normal mind would have asked for a chest xray for that minor minor cough (we had a family friend in NY die of lung cancer, she was a nonsmoker, so being neurotic, my radar was up). Since it is such a high grade, it really does seem like time was of the essence.

I suggested (jokingly) that my parents bow down to me or call me princess or do something to acknowledge me, so now they nicknamed me "Royal Henie" b/c I can be a pain in the butt. Heehee :)

Lyn,

I think it depends on the chemo. There was an article in the ALCASE newsletter that said that combining Taxol or Taxil not sure which one with lovenox worked better than just the chemo.

Of course, I am not a doctor, so it is really important to know what non-prescription medicine should be avoided and ask the Dr even about aspirin.

John