RLL Rats lobectomy

BBTN

Haven't posted for a bit as its been a flurry of tests and appointments leading up to my lobectomy. Anyway, my rats lobectomy was done on Friday May 26 at Vanderbilt here in Nashville. I was discharged Sunday 2 days later. I've been surprised at the lack of pain (not complaining I was expecting worse). Only Tylenol and ibuprofin but have the big guns if I need them. I'm seriously glad this part is done. Having intermittent shortness of breath and have also gotten crepitus which is so strange. Had xray yesterday as I was worried about all the swelling and shortness of breath. Results showed Stable small right pneumothorax. Increased subcutaneous emphysema in the right lateral chest wall and lower neck. Anyone have this afterwards? Tips? Tricks? The shortness of breath is what freaks me out the crepitus is just plain strange lol. I see the oncologist on Monday and see what the plan is 🙂

BBTN,

I'm relieved you got through surgery. 

I had all the symptoms you reported after my lung was removed. The crepitation or crackling sound made while breathing was unnerving but it resolved before I was discharged. Use the spirometer and it will accelerate its departure. Similarly, the small pneumothorax and emphysema symptoms were those I experience and my surgeon explained these are related to surgical-caused inflammation. Tips and tricks: keep using the spirometer and walk as much as you can, pushing yourself a little farther each day.

Now for your oncology visit--lung cancer is so very dangerous because of the frequency of recurrence after curative treatment. You've just had the most effective curative treatment. If you are offered chemotherapy, I advise you to take it. The big danger now is cancer cells might be circulating in your blood and lymphatic systems and post-surgical chemo takes them out.

Good to hear from you again.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

Yes my oncologist had already mentioned probably chemo after surgery. I am having horrible shortness of breath which landed me back in the hospital for a night. Aside from a small pneumothorax and some resolving crepitus they said my lungs are clear. They did prescribe a nebulizer with albutetol but it only works for a while. My pulsoxometer constantly says my oxygen is 97/98 ish but I still feel like I can't get my breath. Have an appointment with my gp and oncologist on Monday. Any advice?

BBTN,

Continuing shortness of breath now 14 days after surgery but high O2 saturation and improvement with albuterol, I think it is a little early for symptoms to resolve. You might add a pulmonologist to your team for a more detailed appraisal. I'd report this symptom to your doctors and keep using albuterol, the nebulizer, and walking as much as possible.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom,

I definitely will touch base with both my gp and oncologist on Monday about this. I did see a pulmonologist when I was in the hospital Monday, I've never had one yet which i find odd. He was super nice and helpful...I may keep him 🙂. It seems when I can't get my breath I go into a panic and it just multiplies. When I was in the hospital both times they gave me zanex which seemed to somewhat keep me from freaking out but it also made me sleepy sooo.I feel amazing other than this one problem, never really had pain just soreness.

I still get bouts of heaviness in my chest/needing a breath sensations from time to time and it has been over  a year since my lobectomy. I think it is connected to stress in my case as I find it resolves when I relax (or take Ativan), and also co-occurs with having to burp many times in sequence (no relation to eating etc), which signals to me that I have been swallowing air (anxiety symptom). It feels not good but passes.  I would check with your doctor though to confirm that nothing more sinister is causing it.

Lily

I've noticed I've been doing the burping as well...I thought it was a bit strange. Does the Ativan help? I'm just at a loss because otherwise I feel fine albeit a little tired but the excessive hunger for air is really starting to wear me down. Have appts with both oncologist and regular dr tomorrow and I will be asking them both about it.

Interesting, I had this for a while, even before my diagnosis when I felt chest pressure and repeated need to burp. Not sure if it has anything with lung cancer or is just a nervous system symptom. I notice I don't do that when I am busy with people, and I improve for me with Ativan, it is an easy drug and you can ask your doctor if suitable.

However, I did many checkups, and also check O2, ECG and heart rate often (I found the nifty Apple Watch so awesome for that) to see if there is any vitals changes that cause such symptoms (no, so far). I think you are doing the right thing telling your doctors and getting checked up. If they find nothing, it could be just like my case. I love Ativan but use it very sparingly as it is easy to get used to it and it loses effectiveness. I reserve it for bad days, like today, when I woke up off from the get go and was just mopey and so tired (it made me sing along music within an hour :). Hope yours resolve soon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.