Coming out of Lurk Mode

Guest Billie

Guest Billie

Hello Everyone,

Yes, I have been lurking and reading your posts for the past month or so, and have finally summoned the nerve to jump in and introduce myself. At first I thought that it would be too depressing to participate, but have since decided that you are a very up-beat group with determination to survive and face the beast with courage and determination

I am a 54 year young woman and was diagnosed in early October of 2003 with stage 4 NSC Lung Cancer. Though I was a long time smoker, it still came as a complete shock to me. It took me a while to accept the diagnosis. I kept thinking it was a really bad dream from which I would eventually awake. Thanks to a wonderful family, oncologist and LC Support Group, I have faced up to the challenge ahead and intend to fight this all the way.

I just completed( 3 weeks ago) 6 rounds of chemo with Gemsar and Carbo and have tolerated the chemo quite well. The chemo has been very effective for me and I have significant shrinkage in my turmors. I have continued to work full-time throughout the treatments and am determined to get on with my life. I am an avid golfer and I intend to get my strength back to start swinging the clubs again as soon as weather permits ( I am in Minnesota, after all).

Well, I will not ramble on, but did want to say how much I have learned from you folks and hope to be able to give back in some way.

I did have a consultation yesterday with an ocologist at the U of WI Cancer Clinc regarding the clincal trials in which they are participating for the GVAX Lung Cancer vacine. I will tell you more about this in a later post. Must get back to work now.

Thank you all again,

Billie

Welcome, Billie. Glad you are here and participating. My daughter spent a year in Minneapolis (1992-93) as an intern at the U. of Minn. vet school. We made a trip up there during that Thanksgiving. She is now practicing veterinary in the Houston area. The internship has been invaluable to her. Please let us here know how we may help and support you. Don

Billie,

welcome to the family. I myself an not a patient but both parents had/have lung cancer. Mom had NSC but lost her battle last august. Dad was just dx. in January of this year with Small cell.

I hope that all your treatments continue to go well and may your tumors shrink to itty bitty nothings.

Billie

Welcome. I wish someone could bottle your attitude and give me a swig--lol. Or maybe a case! I looke forward to hearing more from you and how you have learned to cope so well. I think if I could rid myself of some of the pain, I would be in better shape. Because on relatively pain-free days I do much better. Anyway, welcome!

Elaine.

Welcome Billie You are really close to several of us. Physically close. I live just south in the Burnsville . Connie lives just northeast. We all meet at Regions twice a month. We were there Tuesday. I was 50 at diagnosis. Boy do I agree there is a huge emotional ajustment to make when you first find out. What support group do you go to? I hear there is one at North Memorial also. Keep us posted

Billie,

Welcome to the group - sorry you have to be here! You sound like a really good addition! "ATTITUDE" effects everything, as it seems you have discovered.

Looking forward to hearing more about that GVAX Vaccine Clinical Trial!

Blessed Be,

Guest Billie

Thanks for all the welcoming responses. Here's the deal. The GVAX trials are open for Phase II. They are being conducted at various university Cancer Centers around the country. I found the locations listed on the website for Cellgenesys (The pharmaceutical company that hopes to produce and market the vaccine). The link is www.cellgenesys.com. The site also lists 800 numbers that you can call to see if you might be eligible for the trials. This phase II study is for late stage (IIIb or IV) lung cancer. One of the criteria is that you must have a tumor located near the skin where it can be easily harvested(such as a lymph node in the neck) or pleural effusion so they can draw fluid. They must have part of a tumor or the fluid to grow the vaccine. They will not do major surgery to remove part of the tumor in your lung. There are a number of criteria involved and your eligibilty will be determined by a number of tests such as CT Scans and PET Scans. The really great thing about this vaccine is that there are no side effects as with chemo. It is mainly for people who have not responded to chemotherapy. As for me, I won't know if I am eligible until after a CT scan, but it looks like I may not qualify because the cancer in the lymph nodes of my neck have shrunk so much that the doctors can't find them anymore.

Donna G > I actually live in Maple Grove and I do attend the LC support group at North Memorial. I am currently being treated through the Hubert H Humphrey Cancer Center there and think that they are great. What are Regions? Tell me more.

Billie

Hi Billie,

Just wanted to add a quick welcome to the Board. I was a little nervous about posting also. It's sort of like walking into a room full of people who know each other and here you are, the stranger to the neighborhood. :)

But everyone was so warm and welcoming that I was sorry I didn't "enter" sooner.

Wishing you all the best!!

Hi Billie,

Sorry you have to be here. But we are all on this beat the "C" and SURVIVE kick. We re all "SURVIVORS" Please keep us postd on yourself and any new information. It will possibly be of benefit and help a lot of others here.

Blessings and Prayers from So. California.

Karen

Ahh, Billie -- another Lurker flushed out!

Welcome, and as you have seen, this is far from being a depressing place: I found it just the opposite -- a breath of fresh air for my one lung! Shrinking tumors are a good thing, and I hope you get accepted into the clinical trial. It will also be good for you to hook up with Donna and Connie -- I would jump at the chance to meet with them at the Regionals, but alas, I live too far away up in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Where I might add, we have a golf course here that boasts the most rounds of golf played per year in Canada. ( We had one day of snow and two days of slush up here this winter, and the blossoms on trees and the flowers have been blooming for the past month!) Take care.

David P.