New Doc - New Everything

IIIp0

Even a new diagnosis~ We just got back from Moffitt today and after having talked with the oncologist there feel so so comfortable and confident yet again of his direction. While the initial pathology report leaned toward SCLC, he noted it was merely a differential FOR SCLC, but that it is indeed a Neuroendocrine Carcinoma: that looks, and acts like SCLC. In other words: it's a cancer of great proportions and many attributes. So he wants to change-up the chemo, probably switch to a CPT-11 once a week for three, and rest for the fourth.

And while we're more than confident with this whole thing, and are at a clinical-trial research clinic rated number 11 in the nation, we must make a 600 mile r/trip for the chemo treatments each wweek. Naturally the mind starts to go to overdrive as I wonder how we'll be months down the road??????? Here or there???? Here with a ditz of a doc; or there, with a humb-dinger but driving my husband 300 miles back in pain??? Maybe I just shouldn't think......

So before it's said and done, who knows? We're back in the fact-finding mode again, looking for other oncols in 100 mile radious that have a clue, and praying for the rest for another week or so.....

Thanks for listening~

Beth

That's the third DX isn't it? Wow--makes a person wonder. I know the same kind of thing happened with Carlene's husband Keith--it wasn't really SCLC but the one your husband has.

Well, at least you have some time to fact-find and to look for a DR closer who will maybe do the protocol etc that Moffat suggests. I do hope your husband gets stronger and I am sending good thoughts your way.

Don is right, in the end, it is up to him to decide. HE is blessed to have you looking out for him,

Elaine

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a list of nci designated centers. Are you any closer to Birmingham?

I think someone on here went to Emory in Atlanta, though it is not NCI designated

http://www3.cancer.gov/cancercenters/ce ... t.html#L20

http://merck.praxis.md/index.asp?page=b ... _banner=no

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... t%22+nsclc

The ectopic secretion of hormones by tumors remains an exciting and challenging field. A high index of suspicion is necessary to diagnose hormonal syndromes in patients with cancer who have unexplained symptoms or metabolic abnormalities. This diagnosis carries its own rewards, since treatment of hormonal excess may greatly decrease morbidity and mortality in patients with malignancies.

The role of hormones as local autocrine and paracrine factors in tumor cells is being increasingly recognized. For example, PTH-rP, the GHRH/GH/IGF-I axis, IGF-II and hCG are now thought to play an important role in cell transformation, metastasis, and angiogenesis. New treatments for cancer that are based on blocking these hormones are being tested with encouraging results. Synthetic hormone antagonists and hormone vaccines are currently undergoing trial. For example, vitamin D analogues with less calcemic activity than the parent hormone are shown to inhibit production of PTH-rP and decrease hypercalcemia [23]. Similarly, ADH antagonists may now soon be used routinely for the treatment of hyponatremia from ectopic ADH production [8]. Antagonistic GHRH analogues inhibit growth in vitro of a large number of tumors [17]. Finally, new studies with a vaccine targeting hCG are being conducted and hold promise for the future [24]. It is fair to conclude that the field of ectopic hormones may be moving from the esoteric to the clinical arena.

Hello,

When we were exploring clinical trials for my Dad, his oncologist volunteered that he could administer the clinical trial chemo on my Dad with instructions from the clinical trial doctor, that way we do not have to travel out of town every week. Maybe this is one option you might want to consider.

Good luck and praying that God gives you guidance.

Theresa