Hello to evryone!!!

Remembering Dave

Yes we are doing pretty good, I guess. I returned to work full time week before last and overdid it a little and then deffintely overdid it last weekend tilling up part of the garden and planting some Collard Greens, Broccoli, Cauliflower and onions. This week I had to take one full day off and then I only worked a 1/2 day today. I just feel so tired and then my job is so intense that I get a litle light headed towards the end of the day, guess you could say my brain just starts to hurt. Karen has not been doing very well these past few weeks either. She discovered she has a thyroid problem which runs in her family and started medication for that then her allergies have been so bad that I finally convinced her to start getting some allergy shots. All of that combined with evrything from the whole of last year has just came crashing down and she has been not feeling well. One year ago this coming Sunday she took me to the emergency room were I was diagnosed with SCLC on our 10th wedding anniversary and she has been there for me every step of the way even when I have been a total A-hole on steroids. I am so lucky to have her, I do not know how she did it.

I'm not sure how I feel in my heart one year later. I feel so very sad that some of the friends I made here are no longer here and yes I do feel guilty because I have no evidence of cancer now and others have not been so lucky. I got close to several people who we have lost and it is devastating. I thank God every night for giving me a little more time to spend with Karen and Faith. And I pray that everyone here can acheive complete remission. My next scans are scheduled for the first week in May.

Faith is doing great,she is such a little miracle. She has grown so much since we got her in Oct. of 2002. She still is strugling with talking but other than that she is doing wonderfull. She is definitely Daddy's little girl.

This is going to be a full weekend for me. Karen and I are going out tomorrow night for a nice dinner to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary and then Sunday is the St. Baldericks Day Celebration. I will be getting my head shaved to help raise money for research for Childhood Cancer. It is an event sponsered by The National Childhood Cancer Foundation, a national organization which has been given the top ratings by non profit watch groups. I have raised well over $2,000.00 between online donations and checks and cash people have donated. In fact I am in the lead for the shavee's here in Richmond VA.. I am supposed to be the first shavee and my story will be told and then linked right into the Childhood Cancer Research and the head shaving. The organizer of the Richmond event has been in touch with all the news organizations but does not know if anyone will be there to cover the event. By the way this is also the organization my sister BeckyCW has worked for for years. She has been going all over CA going to the different St. Baldricks events for the past several weeks. If you want to check out the site or feel you can help support this cause please see my web page:

http://www.stbaldricks.org/ShaveePhoto. ... r=15314437

This site also has links to the St. Baldricks site. Becky has been in the Cancer fund raising business for many many years and she pointed out that a lot of the advances for all cancers have come from the research performed for Childhood Cancer. I could not imagine Faith being stricken with Cancer, I would give my life for her. It is bad enough that I got it at the age of 38.

I do feel guilty about not organizing anything for Lung Cancer (don't worry I have not forgot about The Instigator), I just don't have the energy to do any organizing. Don't know if y'all realize it but Richmond is the home of Phillip Morris and employs a significant amount of people here. VA is very, very tobacco freindly.

I have missed you all, I will pledge to do better about getting online, I do pop in everyother day or so and read the posts but like I have said I have been so tired I just don't feel like posting. I see your joys and feel your pains and pray for you all. I better stop rambling here and get to bed, this will be a long weekend and I go in to get my port flushed monday, boy they sure will be surprised to see me bald again, ha,ha. Take care everybody.

David C

David, I have been thinking so much this week about your double-anniversary coming up tomorrow (both wedding and diagnosis). It has been a rough year, and yet -- It has BEEN a year, and I thank God you are doing so well! (and that you are my brother!) And I join you in thanking God that you had Karen to see you through, and Faith to love through it all.

Everyone, I would just like to brag a little that David has raised more money than anyone else in Richmond, so far, for the St. Baldrick's event he's doing on Sunday at the Festival. I also love that this is the Festival they were supposed to be going to one year ago, on the day when Karen had to take David to the hospital instead (where he was diagnosed shortly thereafter)... and THIS YEAR they're going to the FESTIVAL. :D What a difference a year makes...

BeckyCW

Guest Karen C

I just wanted everyone to know that I'm pretty sure that Faith took that picture from her car seat! A child's perspective of a baldy!

Karen c.

:lol::D:twisted:

David, you are doing so well!

My dad went to ER on March 27 last year and you both were dx very closely. This Saturday is one year anniversary for my dad and I truly thank GOD for this and wish many years ahead for my dad although doctors said he is terminal (I know it but I hate them telling me about that).

You have wonderful wife & daugther and I thank God for all these for you.

David,

A little late in replying. I hope you and Karen had a wonderful anniversary (double).

I'm glad to hear that Faith is doing so well. As I've said before, I was adopted as a baby and in MY book folks who take the time, effort and love to adopt and raise a child are special beyond belief (that goes out to Rick and Katie, also!).

Of COURSE you over did! It's a law. It reads as follows:

Anybody recovering from an illness will, as soon as possible, try to do exactly one more thing than the body will tolorate. :)

Take care!

Dean

Happy Anniversaries, David and Karen, as a married couple and as survivors of both Lung Cancer and Melanoma. I'm wishing you both many, many more such anniversaries over the years. I think you're both pretty special people and not at all surprized you found one another.

Best Wishes

Fay A.

PS to the above:

I really like the "perspective of the bald head from the back seat" study done by your daughter. She has real talent, and you should encourage her to take up photography now. Look at how old Tiger Woods was when he took up golf...about Faith's age. Let her take the shots and you guys do the developing. :)

Guest Karen C

Fay, that's pretty funny. Faith really has a camera fettish, maybe you're on to something! I bought her a camera at the dollar store - yes, a 35 mm camera at the dollar store. it's hard for her to push the button on that el cheap thing but she loves to just hang in around her neck and walk around with it.

thanks to everyone for your well wishes. I feel guilty that we both haven't been on the board much lately. I think our down, tired time is being replaced, ever so slowly, by busier happy things.

The fund raiser event on Sunday was just what I'd hoped it'd be - a real celebration. It was really wonderful and I think we, as a group, raised alot of awareness for cancer in general for the thousands in attendace.

God Bless,

Karen C.

Norme, you crack me up.

Fay, actually, word has it that Faith is headed for a career in directing films, if she chooses not to be Secretary of State, that is. :wink:

Dean, you're right -- they are very special people in anyone's book! (And no, I'm NOT biased! :lol: )

BeckyCW

Guest Karen C

Thanks again Dean for your kind words on adoption. I think we have another adoptive parent on the board - is that Ry? I can't remember who told me that their child was adopted.

Adoption is very special. I don't know why more people don't consider it. I think it's an awareness thing - people aren't aware of how easy it really is to do. Gosh, we thought it would be impossible for us - we're not rich or anything - but we flew right through the process.

God Bless everyone,

Karen C.

p.s. there's a bill trying to make it's way through Congress that will make children adopted internally eligible to run for Congress. It will probably take years to get through, but might make it in time for Faith to run for President instead of being Secretary of State! But Becky's right, if neither works out for her, she is just bossy enough to make a great film director!