Duke of Earl - Chapter 59 - Off the topic, I ask your help

ginnyde

Dear Friends,

Nothing new with the Duke and with this disease, this is good news.

As I have posted, my sister has just be dx'd with hypopharyngeal cancer. They are talking radiation and cisplatin concurrently. The dr. told her they would have to insert a feeding tube and do a trach because the radiation will cause swelling.

The question: Does anyone know will the feeding tube be taken out and the trach removed if all goes well or no matter what they are permament?

She is trying to make quality of life decisions.

And true to form for my luck. I had an appt with the vet yesterday to put our 22 year old cat to sleep. It was torture but it was time. When I got there the vet was closed, yep closed. I just couldn't take him home again, the Duke had said his goodbyes. Thank God for cell phones, found another vet who was wonderful.

Thank you for any help for my sister.

Love to you all,

Ginny

Well gee, how do I say that I'm glad it worked out for the cat to get the big nuke? :roll:

I would assume that the feeding tube would come out for sure once she can eat. We had a friend that received radiation in the neck area and had to have a feeding tube put in. It was removed once he could eat by mouth again. Not sure on the trach.

Hang in there Ginny...

Rochellle

I would think once things returned to normal the tubes could be removed but I guess that would be a DR. question.

I am sorry about your cat, I am at that same place with my 12 year old St. Bernard mix. She is starting to have major problems walking so I know that time is coming.

God Bless,

MO

Ginny,

My heart goes out to you, you have so much on your plate. How brave of you to send your old kitty peacefully off to the "happy hunting grounds" it is a hard but a selfless and merciful thing to do.

I do hope that your sister will recover well from her operation, you will all be in my thoughts and prayers. Paddy .

Ginny,

I'm no help on the medical questions, as usual, but I did want to say how sorry I am to hear about you and the Duke having to say goodbye to your cat. I've lost one cat to illness, and one dog to an accident, and hope I'll be brave enough to do as you did when my remaining cat gets to that stage. It must have been an awful day for you and the Duke. My thoughts are with you!

BeckyCW

Ginny,

My heart goes out to you and the Duke about your Kitty. That is incredible to have a cat for 22 years!!! That tells me that this animal was much loved and cared for. I am sorry about your sister. I have no medical expertise to offer, just my prayers.

Cheryl

Ginny,

Life has given you a full plate. You have much on your mind and heart. I pray that your sister gets what she needs to have some happiness in her life. These are tough decisions I am sure.

Losing your cat is like losing a family member and I am so sorry. She will be waiting at the bridge with Buddy and the rest of those we know and love.

May God keep you safe and give you comfort in all that is happening in your life.

Much love,

Shirley

Thank you all my friends.

The cat was tough but it was time. In some ways I am relieved, all of our rugs were turning into yellow polka dots.

Our primary called today, (he is a friend and neighbor too) to check on how the Duke was doing. I asked him the questions my sister had about whether the track and tube would be permanent. Small world, his BIL was dx last fall with the same cancer as my sister. He had a feed tube, but as soon as they can eat, it comes out. He said should be the same with the trach. This is good news.

Today is the 18 month anniversary for the Duke. I will be posting, I know, on his 18 year anniversary.

May the rebirth of spring bring us all peace and happiness.

Love,

Ginny