Our holistic doctor's approach

Many have asked what we are giving Mike. The purpose is to supplement his body's minerals, amino acids, vitamins, enzymes to cause his body to purge itself of toxins and to get his system "disgesting" properly. Chemo therapy is a "killer" of cells including the good ones.

The holistic belief is that if the body is in balance, it's own natural defense mechanisms will suppress and kill cancer. This is a known medical fact that every person has cancer cells. Something in every "healthy" person suppresses the cancer cells from growing amuck!

Does holistic medicine have the "key" to permanent health? I do not know. But when conventional medicine offers no hope, no treatment, no supplements, no NOTHING...you are willing to give anything a try.

While I give Mike these supplements...doubt creeps in. But we have no options...so it is this...an avenue God will use to "heal" Mike. Because there is a big difference between trying to find a cure....or praying and waiting for a healing.

Here is the list:

MetaGest - Betaine HCl, pepsin and Gentian root.

Mag-Chlor - Calcium, magnesium, potassium (About 60% of Americans do not get enough magnesium from their diet. Diet, ingestion of alcohol, sodas, and certain medications cause a loss of magnesium.

In the healthy person, only half of the magnesium ingested is absorbed. However, many lifestyles, environmental and dietary factors can further lower the availability of magnesium. Remember, most magnesium is present inside the body’s cells and is almost impossible to measure with blood tests.

Vitamin B6 - Needed for more than 100 enzymes invloved in protein metabolism. Essentioal for red blood cell metabolism. The nervous and immune systems need viatmin B6 to function. Your body needs vitamin B6 to make hemoglobin.

Vitamin B12 - Helps maintain helathy nerve cells and red blood cells. Needed to make NDA. Hydorchloric acid in the stomach releases B12 from protein during digestion.

Folic Acid - Necessary for the production and maintenance of new cells. Medications that interfere with folic acid utilization are anti-convulsant meds (Mike was on these for neuropathy pain), liver disease (liver cancer). If you take folic acid, be sure to talk to your health provider about also taking Vitamin B12 as folic acid can mask symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency.

Ultra CLA, which is conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), in the triglyceride, rather than free fatty acid. CLA is a naturally occurring fatty acid that may support healthy glucose and insulin metabolism.

Methionine - a neutral, genetically coded amino acid. It is essential in human nutrition. (It is a principle supplier of sulfur which prevents disorders of the hair, skin and nails; helps lower cholesterol levels by increasing the liver's production of lecithin; reduces liver fat and protects the kidneys; a natural chelating agent for heavy metals; regulates the formation of ammonia and creates ammonia-free urine which reduces bladder irritation; influences hair follicles and promotes hair growth.

Arginine is an amino acid, one of the building blocks of protein. As a supplement, it is being promoted not only to prevent heart disease, but also to boost muscle growth, improve wound healing, combat fatigue, stimulate the immune system, cure impotence, and fight cancer.

Fola Pro features Metafolin® the active, preferred form of folate called L-5-methyl tetrahydrofolate (L-5-MTHF). Provides L-5-MTHF, a metabolically active form of folate, helping to ensure all of the critical benefits of folate nutrition are realized. Requires no additional metabolic steps to be utilized by the body, making it a preferred choice for many individuals. Nutritionally supports many metabolic processes, including hormone metabolism, DNA synthesis, homocysteine metabolism, and nervous system function.

Disodium phosphate, a blood buffer salt, has properties which have been shown to be clinically effective in treatment of gallbladder and liver disorders.

This product acidifies the urine while at the same time it combats acidosis indicating a breakdown to its components, sodium and phosphorus, apparently the sodium being retained and the phosphorus excreted.

Powdered whey protein - Because of a compromised liver, vegetable protein is easier for the liver to "break down" and derive nutrition.

Acidrophilus powder - (Just like you find in milk) Acidophilus is the healthy bacteria normally found in the large intestine. It is especially helpful in fighting harmful bacteria which create carcinogenic compounds. Powdered acidophilus can be found at your local health food store.

Enzyme powder - to aid in the digestion of food. Contains all enzymes necessary - to break down fat, proteins, starches, etc. I blend this with fruit juice (organic)

L-Tyrosine - has been found to assist in optimizing thyroid hormone levels, increased mood, concentration, and productivity.

Liquid water soluble Iodine - is crucial for the health of the thyroid gland and is essential for the production of two key hormones that help regulate a host of body processes including resting metabolic rate, heart rate, heat production and energy levels.*

Aqueous Selenium - A trace mineral in our bodies that as Americans can not get enough from food. Helps the Thyroid and is believed to suppress cancer cells.

Mycelized Vitamin A provides pure vitamin A in a special water-soluble, micellized form. Supports vision, immune function, reproductive function, bone and cartilage development, and healthy epithelial tissue—the tissue that lines the body's external and internal surfaces. Features the micellization process—a technique that may enhance absorption by producing extremely tiny droplets (micelles) that are easily assimilated by the body.

Organic Black Strap Molasses - To build blood - Rich in natural nutrients such as iron, potassium and calcium.

And last but not least. A nutrient supplement that may hold a lot of "hope'" for many people. It is a supplement called PolyMVA (the MVA stands for Minerals, Vitamins and Amino Acids.) Check out their website PolyMVA.com. It would be worth it to any having cancer to check this out. Just see what you think. It's very spendy - but it's cheap compared to chemo and other drugs and treatments! What impressed me is the man who developed this "nutritional" supplement is a biochemist with 40 years of research in cancer "molecular" and "cellular" development.

Love and hugs,

Shannon & Mike

Mike dx w/ SCLC w/mets to liver 01-02-02

Remission 07-22-02

Reoccurence 12-03-02 with brain mets

Brain radiation successful

No options from Mayo 04-01-03

Continuing Cytoxin 4/07/03

Started nutritional supplements 4/17/03

Rayroy-

First of all - It's nothing like chemo. Chemo therapy is chemical therapy. Chemicals that are "foreign" to the body. That is why, in large part, chemo patients get so nauseated. It's our bodies natural "defense" to purge itself of poisons. Onocology research has worked hard to suppress this nausea to keep the poison in the body to kill the cancer cells. Unfortunately - they have not come up with an effective cancer killing chemical that doesn't also attack and kill healthy cells.

The "natural or holistic" approach we are taking uses powders, liquids and pills which are all elements, enzymes, minerals, vitamins, or amino acids that our bodies normally produce or get from digesting our food. Unfortunately, the 'chemical therapy' leaves the body depleted of the natural "good stuff". And keeps the body from absorbing the nutrition of the food when the chemo patient DOES eat.

The biggest reason that chemo therapy patients suffer from fatigue, anemia and nausea is that the chemo eats up or destroys the bodies ability to "regulate itself".

I have found out that people on chemo are prone to have low potassium, calcium, magnesium, phospherus, glucose, and iron - in addition to the blood counts they DO watch for...like hemoglobin, hematocrit, white cell count and platelets. But our oncologist never checked Mike's blood for these deficiencies.

Side effects to the holistic approach? Yes there are some - they are called symptoms of natural detox. As the body receives the proper levels of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes to properly "run" the body's digestive, respiratory and nervous systems, it starts 'purging' toxins in the system.

For Mike this journey has caused him to "periodically" have a phlegm producing cough (he has never had a cough - precancer or during cancer treatment). His nose runs (he never had a runny nose). He will occasionally vomit and sometimes has runny bowels. He also will run a fever for a very short period of time and get the sweats.

All of these uncomfortable symptoms come and go within 1/2 hour. As his body "builds up" to a purging...he feels more "sick" until his body momentarily "purges" - in any of the above described ways. Then he feels better for a few hours.

Our biggest problem is that his digestive system was suppressed so much by chemo and other drugs he was on, that when he got the "proper" natural elements vital for the human digestive system, his gall bladder went on strike. There are no stones and no infection, just the bile which should run as freely as water is thick like toothpaste and as sticky. Gall bladder pain from a "non functioning at capacity gall bladder is intense."

Through a concentrated effort -we started today - we are focusing all the attention on the gall bladder with pills, powders containing digestive elements.

Is it better than chemo for killing cancer? It depends if you believe the stories that are not backed by "scientific" proof. But hey - you know what? There is no scientific proof of God either....and I know He exists.

At least - when you have no options left with conventional medicine, holistic medicine realizes the tremendous capability of the body to "right" itself and heal itself. After all - Everyone has cancer cells. My body is doing it's job and it attacks those cells when they start running amuck. The holistic approach is to not TEAR DOWN with harsh chemicals but to build up with good nutrition and proper care of the body to allow the body to do what it is designed to do....repair itself.

Hope I didn't tell you more than you wanted to know...but more and more....I've been convinced...and the more I'm convinced...the more I'm commited.

Dad has been off chemo for almost a month and he feels better. We are looking at other options(cell vaccines) that are not toxic. Currently dad is drinking noni juice, and herbal teas. He eats pretty well. He doesnt want chemo any more who could blame him.

My friend who has done cancer research and works for a doctor said that I can try "heroic measure" using arginine 20mgs a day. He said some people with cancer had great responses. He also said that geninstein or (soy ??) can be good too! We have tried spes and some shark liver oil. Dads right lung is 90 percent covered with effusion, but left lung is good.

Thanks for all your great input on the holistic approach. I am very receptive to it.

• 5 months later...

Mrs. Mike,

I saw your posting on supplements and thought it was very interesting, I also read in your signature where you went to Cancer Treatment of America in Tulsa. I searched their website and was very impressed.

My Mom is considering multiple alternatives since we have gotten some suspicious test results this summer. She would like to explore alternatives to chemo and radiation.

Two questions. 1. How did you find a holistic doctor to counsel you on supplements? 2. What was your impression of the Cancer Center of America and what types of treatment did you seek there?