So Cal Lung Cancer Walks--I need feedback ASAP

Andrea

Hi guys,

I need your help. Boy am I learning! I am going to out of pocket expense to cover venue and insurance and then get reimbursed from the proceeds, so that is not an issue. But here are the issues as there are pros and cons to all ideas:

1. City parks don't hold enough people and they all rejected me.

2. County parks hold the people, have picnic seating area, will allow ampliphied low level sound, have rest rooms. Problem is, everyone has to pay $5 to get into park and also I cannot exchange money on Countypropery, so everyone would have to pre register (I see that as bad, but one pro is that I will know how many are coming, and for walk ins I can do an IOU voucher). Costs: $210 venue; $250 insurance; plus I have to purchase insurance.

3. Schools---I have called and am talking to a lot. I am talking to all the schools where the Cancer Society holds events. However, the Cancer Society is bigger than we are, so they can get more people and have more help and committees. Schools are expensive. $1000 rental fee for venue. Plus I have to get insurance. And porta potties.

I am thinking County parks and dealing with the money issue

I e-mailed the Hoag Cancer Center in Newport Beach and they said they cannot advertise for me since it is not a Hoag event, but that what we are doing is great and she forwarded my e-mail to the Lung Cancer coordinator.........I got an email from the Hoag Hospital Lung Cancer Coordinator and she is so excited and wants to be part of the planning committee and I am calling tomorrow. Yay! Hopefully the more people involved, the more they bring in more people.

I really think I am going to have to go with a County park and come up with a way around the "no exchange of money on County grounds". In a way pre-registering everyone will help with crowd control and I do need an idea of how many will be there. If a few walks ins come in, I can do IOUs or something. And I will sell raffles ahead of time too.

Besides the expense of the schools, renting porta potties and then meeting with the school parking committees and security seems like it would cut even more into proceeds and be a bit more than I can handle. Maybe worth it when we become a bigger organization, and have insurance and more funds, etc, but since this is the first event and the goal is awareness for future events, I want it to be practical, yet great.

I am looking forward to brainstorming with everyone! I am taking my anger out in wanting to raise money. I know a 32 year old who was just diagnosed with lymphoma today, she was virtually symptomless, it just rips at the heart.

Guest reneekoz

Well, if you have called all the schools, then I think the county park may be the way to go. That said, I would try more local high schools, and maybe even look in a "suburb" if possible. You should be able to get a better deal that what you have. I would NOT pay 1000$ at all! That is crazy! My school lets us use the place for free - I am shocked at what you are encountering. It is too bad. Let me know how/if I can help! In the end, it sounds like it will be great no matter where, and I am sure the county parks are beautiful!

What great news though about the Hoag Center! It will be wonderful for you to have assistance!

Let me know how I can help!

Renee

Guest reneekoz

Well, if you have called all the schools, then I think the county park may be the way to go. That said, I would try more local high schools, and maybe even look in a "suburb" if possible. You should be able to get a better deal that what you have. I would NOT pay 1000$ at all! That is crazy! My school lets us use the place for free - I am shocked at what you are encountering. It is too bad. Let me know how/if I can help! In the end, it sounds like it will be great no matter where, and I am sure the county parks are beautiful!

What great news though about the Hoag Center! It will be wonderful for you to have assistance!

Let me know how I can help!

Renee

Andrea,

I have a telephone number for contact of a person with ACS. They are forming a walk and event on June 20th-23rd here in Corona. The event is at Santiago High School. It is very well organized and they have all kinds of sponsors. Outback is one of the sponsors. I will find out all of the particulars that I can by the end of this week. I will PM my phone number to you. Evenings are good, except Wednesdays. I will do this now. I want to help as much as I can. Let's brain storm. I have done a few fundraisers. I have a lot of people from my church who want to participate...

Make it happen and "Cure" forever all of us, 8)

Karen