Clear scan

RJN

Ahhh, for some reason I was a nervous wreck before my scan results yesterday. Kept thinking it felt like being in a participant in Squid Game, where each new hurdle is potentially lethal. I don’t normally suffer from scanciety, but it is my first result of immunotherapy and 7 months since my adrenalectomy, so felt like relatively big risk. But my smiling oncologist reassured me before we even reached the room that I was good, and right now classified as having a complete metabolic response. I asked if it was fair to assume that this meant the surgeon had got everything (he wasn’t sure at the time and there were positive margins), and he agreed that if there was still something left it would have grown by now. So another 3 months of normal life!

Rikki,

You just made my morning.  So glad to hear that your scans went well.  I’ve not had a scan where I didn’t have some level of scanziety, but that is me.  Keep on going strong and enjoying life.

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

@RJN How did I miss this amazing news! I'm so happy for you. It's funny how feelings before scans can vary, from "ho-hum" to "I'm terrified about progression...." I'm just thrilled for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!

I love good scans! Might just be me, but it sure seems like there are more NEDs than a few years ago?

@TJM Thank you. It isn’t just you. I spoke to my two lung oncologists, and they are saying that lung cancer has changed a lot in the last 5 years, and I can tell that their attitude has changed tremendously even since my diagnosis 2.5 years ago. With immuno and targeted treatments, a better understanding of options for oligometastatic cancer etc they now have so many more strings to their bow. We are still at the Wild West end of things, but results speak for themselves, even if not yet reflected in official statistics!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...