Surgery done

Blossomsmom

Good morning all. Surgery is done (Monday afternoon) and I am home (late afternoon yesterday). Ended up with an upper right lobectomy and removal of 12 lymph nodes. Surgeon said it’s normal to feel like I’d been hit by a Mac Truck and that I did very well. She aced taking out the chest tube, speaking very fast to distract me and it was done 😊. We should get some of the details from pathology tomorrow, some results will take longer. Surgeon did say the lymph nodes looked and felt like they will come back fine but can’t be 💯 sure until pathology does their thing. Even though I read and reread Lou’s tips and tricks for surgery, I find I’m still surprised at how just a little walking around the house tires me out. Guess 20% less lung capacity will do that. I’ve been taking the pain meds and am comfortable for the most part. I have a whole new appreciation for our bed that has one of those frames that goes up and down at the head and feet. Especially after not sleeping much in the hospital. 
Thanks to you all for your encouragement and knowledge. It has been invaluable. I’m sure I’ll have lots more questions going forward down this road.

Blossomsmom,

Congratulations on coming through so well.  You're not far off regarding walking...prior to surgery I did 5-6 miles/day my first day home I could barely get around my home without panting.  It took weeks for me to get back to my pre-surgery condition.  Just keep your progress steady and don't overdo it and you'll see how your body will respond.  Remember your lung has been through a traumatic event and needs to relax and heal before it will function at its best.  Also remember that the spirometer can be your best friend.  I used to get up, walk around and then go back to bed for a nap (and I never usually nap).  Be patient with yourself, stay active in a smart way, eat well, stay hydrated so you'll begin to feel better faster than you may expect.

Lou

Congratulations.  Important results for you. Clean margins clean nodes will be back quick.  The biomarker testing may take some time.  Glad it all went well.  Do your rehab as they tell you. Don't skip it and keep moving. Before you know it you'll be back to normal. 

Soooo goood hearing from you, Blossom!!  I'm so glad things went well, you are home and starting your recovery.  Here's to clean nodes and margins as edive said.  Lou's experience hopefully will reiterate how important it is to rest while being up and about a little here and there.  Hoping you begin feeling a little better every few days or so.