Medicare question

kimblanchard

I know I read it here somewhere but---- With the dx. of SCLC we are automatically eligible for Medicare, right? Then it takes 3 months to become effective?

I have been working but am looking at my options now. I am just so darn tired. I get a scan Friday and am a bit anxious because of the fatigue and my appetite is not very good either. But----I would get 3 months pay continuation then I can go on disability from work with 60% pay and keep all my life insurance which is considerable for about a hundred a month. My husband's medical would kick in as a supplemental to Medicare. I guess I'm just anxious because it would be such a change. Plus can I afford it?? OOOOOOOhhhh. This is not what I had planned for myself. I'm just so darn mad.

I totally agree! I did not plan this either. I was working when I was diag. I was unable to work after that point due to all the side effects of the chemo etc. I applied for disability and had the waiting period of 6 mos. Then after 2 more years I was eligable for Medicare. It became my secondary because my hubby's ins. is my primary. He is still working. I am now 47 yr. I pay the part B on Medicare which is around $60 I think and so far it has helped with the extra parts my hubby's ins did not pay. Hope this helps.

Good Luck, Love Cindy

I also had the same terms as Cindy. However, if you have income from work (even 60%) if it is more than 800.00 per month then you are not disabled for that month. In other words your short term disability from work can be below 800.00 and you are considered disabled for that month. The way they explained it to me, you could have 800.00 per month income from any source and they could process your claim. If you have more than 800.00 then your 6 month starts when you drop below that. This was 2003 figures and may have changed for 2004. Hope I did not confuse you.

The way I understood it when I was given my SSDI benefits was that I wouldn't be eligible for medicare until I was over 65, on dialysis or had been on disabilty for 2 years. Right now I have medicaid with huge monthly spenddown of $650 a month.

I should be able to get Medicare after this coming November. I'll admit that I don't know very much about Medicare though, but I'm hoping it will help more then having get incur that huge spenddown every single month thats for sure.