lung cancer on prime time TV

TeeTaa

Okay - at the risk of being ridiculed for my choice of TV viewing, I wanted to share with y'all something mentioned in tonight's episode of The O.C. (the Fox show about a bunch of spoiled rich kids in Orange County, CA and their totally unrealistic lifestyles :lol: ) Anyway, in the teaser after the show where they show you glimpses of "what's coming up next week" they had a new character appear (the actress who played Alice in that diner show a while back, but I can't remember her name). In The O.C., she plays the mother of Sandy, one of the main characters. Apparently, she's been diagnosed with advanced stage lung cancer and has "come back to say goodbye."

It'll surely be interesting to see how the show handles this new situation, and it'd be REALLY nice if they used it to raise awareness of the disease or at least use it as an opportunity to encourage people (especially the young viewers in their target audience) not to smoke. Yeah, yeah, I know . . . keep dreaming . . . this is primetime TV we're talking about . . .

In case you're interested, the show comes on Fox on Wednesday night at 9:00 Eastern time.

Y'all have a good one - now I'm gonna go redeem myself by flipping on TLC or the Discovery Channel or something!

TeeTaa

Guest Karen C

TeeTaa,

Don't know what's worse, the OC or endless reruns of Law and Order (our mindless TV viewing of choice). I think I have a crush on Lennie.

thanks for the heads up, might have to catch that to see what they do. Not sure I like the "came back to say goodbye" part. Isn't there always hope?

God Bless,

Karen C.

Guest Karen C

TeeTaa,

Don't know what's worse, the OC or endless reruns of Law and Order (our mindless TV viewing of choice). I think I have a crush on Lennie.

thanks for the heads up, might have to catch that to see what they do. Not sure I like the "came back to say goodbye" part. Isn't there always hope?

God Bless,

Karen C.

Tee Taa,

Thanks for sharing. I don't watch the show, but I'll have the hubby record it for me. Kids are spoiled in California. I am not originally from her. Orig from Missouri. My kids were raised in the rurals back there. Not as woodsy as where you live. It looks very beautiful where you and all of your family live. Would be a place I would love to visit in the spring or fall. Too humid otherwise...

Blessings from So. California

Karen

PS, How is TBone doing?

Maybe a few of us (or a LOT of us!) should write to Fox about the story line. First to thank them for not ignoring lung cancer, second to tell them it's not a hopeless disease, third to make suggestions for how they could use the program to do a public service.

askfox@foxinc.com is the email address I found for Fox Broadcasting.

- Teresa

Don,

Thanks so much for the info - I lay in bed last night racking my brain trying to come up with Linda Lavin's name!

Karen,

I'm hoping I didn't offend anyone with the "spoiled rich kids in CA" comment - I was only talking about the TV show! :oops: (And heck - I can't say much, as I'm raising my two kids in an affluent northern suburb of Atlanta where the high school's parking lot is FULL of BMW's, Mercedes, etc. AND I live within two miles of Paul Newman and Chipper Jones. BUT suffice it to say we don't get invited to their dinner parties!! Anyway, my kids ARE being raised with good values, and they'd rather be in the country in south Georgia than here at home any old day - as would I!) :roll::roll: And if you do come to visit, it won't be this city life I'll show you . . . we'll head to the woods!!

TeeTaa

Oh my gosh TeeTaa, my family are regular viewers of the show and you should have seen my face when I saw that preview. My husband's response was...."well, that aught to be interesting!" I too hope they don't portray it as all doom and gloom, however it is tv!

Let me just say that we have an 18 year old son, so we can relate to that show.... actually, we plan our Wednesday nights around it! hahaha :lol:

Thanks for bringing it up!

TAnn

Tee Taa...I saw the OC last night too! ha ha. The Kings were losing so bad to the Lakers I had to switch to something else. I was surprised to see Alice and the story line for next week... I will definitely watch it next week. I'm 30 and love that show, ha! Oh and really, Marisa is going to go to Ryan's ex-girlfriend's house to go stay with them? That's a little unbelievable...but it looks good.

The show can be our guilty pleasure...everyones got to have one show they will never admit they watch!

HA HA I LOVE THE IDEA THAT THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE WHO WATCH SHOWS THAT THAT HAVE NO SOCIAL VALUE WHATSOEVER!!

My day consists of reruns also. Law and Order, Judging Amy, NYPD Blues, Judge Joe and Judge Marilyn. There are times when I have to leave and I actually tape a rerun to rewatch it :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Cindy 8)

I think it's just hilarious that so many of us watch this "trash" on TV!! I guess maybe we're living vicariously through these folks! It reminds me of when I was pregnant with my first child and our oldest sister Cathy, who is a college literature teacher and VERY intellectually-oriented (heck, I didn't even think she knew how to turn on a TV!) had to admit that my being induced on a Tuesday was a huge problem cause that night was the season-ending episode of NYPD Blue!! (Okay, so now I have to admit something y'all probably won't be surprised about . . . we ALL go to the hospital when someone in our family has a baby. There are always at least 20 people in the waiting room!!) Anyway, the fact that Cathy - of all people - had to admit this guilty pleasure was almost enough to put me right into hard labor!

Teresa - I like your idea about contacting Fox TV, and I plan to send them an e-mail here shortly. You're right . . . maybe if they hear from a lot of us, they'd give us a plug. I plan to include a link to LCSC and the tribute that Rick did.

One more thing about The O.C. - the idea of Marissa going to Chino is ALMOST as unbelievable as Paris Hilton being a graduate student!! And for those of you who don't watch the show, you just don't know what you're missing!!

Y'all enjoy your day!

TeeTaa

Oh and unbelievable that Paris Hilton would go after Cohen out of 2,000 people that were there???...oh and that Ryan is this tough macho man at 16 that is going to stand up to a guy that's way bigger and older than him. How did they get in that place without ID's anyways?

Okay, does anyone watch "Forever Eden"? I can't even believe I'm admitting to watching it! I never thought I would be into reality tv, but it's so far from reality that I find myself really enjoying it! The Apprentice is by far my favorite!

Teresa, I think that is an excellent idea about plugging this website at the end of the show!!!

Tee Taa,

No, I'm not upset please don't think that. I know waht you are saying is true. My children were raised in the good old mid-west. Missouri. There are a lot more morals, better school and life style where you live. I would say starting in Utah and going east til you get to New York and the big cities the raising of children is a lot better from all aspects. The big cities are the real down fall. Too fast and advanced. No quality family time... How sad!

Blessings, :)

Karen

Gotta love this "thread" on this topic. Now I finally have a reason to watch this show and see what my high school freshman is watching! Glad to see you all aren't afraid to air your dirty television laundry with us all. I personally am a Seventh Heaven closet watcher!

I'll be sure to watch "OC" next week! Thanks for the heads up.

Just a warning . . . if you're expecting ANYTHING like 7th Heaven, you'd better buckle your seatbelt and hang on tight! Granted, I've only watched 7th Heaven a few times, and it's been a while, but I don't recall any trashy-looking moms sleeping with their daughter's ex-boyfriends, a hotel tycoon's psychotic teenage son (who lives alone in the hotel's suite), teenagers going to parties where drugs are MORE than abundant and not at all hidden, less clothing on the average teenager than you see in the A&F catalog, and a combined Jewist/Christian holiday called "Christmakah."

So are you intrigued?!?!

Enjoy!! :lol::lol:

TeeTaa

Guest cheri

If it doesn't have anything to do with Dora the Explorer or Kim Possible, I don't get to watch anything! My 4-year old has taken over the remote! :lol:

Ok, the Duke has you all beat, he watches the food network and Star Trek all day.

I told him when he is feeling better, he better put all that knowledge to work and cook me some scrumptous dinners.

Me, I am the intellect here - it is Survivor for me. Boston Rob is just the sexiest thing and I am old enough to be his Mother, hopefully not old enough to be his Grandmother.

Ginny

Funny, Ginny....I'm a Survivor junkie myself...

BUT, I find Boston Rob to be a self-important weinie...(I had another word to put there, but censored myself...LOL)

I MUCH prefer Rupert (must admit, I liked him better the first time he was on) as he reminds me SO MUCH of my Cookieman - no beard on Cookieman, causes a rash on MY face...

I thought Colby was the hottie...just too darn skinny! :roll: