I Smell My Dad

KC

My father passed away on Sunday, March 21, 2004. Since that day every once in a while, no matter where I am, I can smell him. It's not cologne or anything like that, je didn't wear cologne. It's just his scent. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Yes! yes! yes!! Especially the first couple of weeks my mom died. It's just her scent...I wouldn't be able to describe it, it's just HER, no one else. I did also smell her perfume a couple of times, Shalimar...I know no one else that wears that scent...and I know my husband didn't put it on to wear around the house. JC, they are here with us. Thanks for reminding me...I feel comforted remembering those moments I smell her.

I've been smelling him all morning. Like it's coming right from my chest. It's the same smell that was on my hand the first two days after he died, because I was holding his hand for hours while he lay there dying. It's so strange.

My grandmother passed away of pancriatic cancer about a month before I was diagnosed with LC. With her death so fresh in my mind, my diagnoses was very frightening to me. About 8 months later, after my treatment was through and I had returned to work, I was driving home one night in rush hour traffic (Center City Philadelphia) and while sitting at a traffic light I SMELLED HER. The only thing I should have been smelling at that time was car fumes......it wasn't a perfume smell -- Just my sweet grandmom's "smell". It smelled like her old wool sweaters mixed with her shampoo and it took me back to my childhood. I felt like she was sitting right there in the car with me.

I told my mom about it and she asked me if it "freaked me out". I thought about it for a minute and realized the answer was no. It didn't weird me out....it actually comforted me. I made me feel like she is always around, watching over me. I hope I am so lucky!

Heather

My mom and I wear the same size clothes so when she died I received all her clothes (boy was I lucky because she had great taste and great clothes!). anyhow they of course all smelled like her and there are a couple of outfits that I've decided never to wear, but I put them in the back of my closet to keep just for the smell. Every once in a while I pull them out and smell them. I love it.

Anne

With Johnny it's coffee. He always had a cup of coffee in his hand. I smell fresh brewed coffee in the strangest places and at the oddest times. I have the last set of clothes he wore and his jacket and shoes. After 16 months they should not still have his scent but they do. Like all of you have said it is nothing that I can discribe it is just him.

My husband has an assortment of favorite T-shits he wore

during his treatments and after, I sent some to my dearest friends

and they wear them in stressful situation and all go smooth for

them.

I also kept many for myself and do the same and it is his smell

that always prevail even after being washed many times.

The chimes are the most beautiful souvenir I can have,

his vocal cords were paralized and I put the buttons of chimes

on each side of his bed, so he could call at all time in case I would

not be with him. One button brought a beautiful melody, the other

one just a ring, to this day (chimes disconected and in a box) the

melody still plays at odd times, many people that were around

for the last weeks Mike was alive, do know the sound very

well and are sure that Mike is around when the melody plays when

they are with me.

All I can say, Mike is gone but he is still with me always.

J.C.

My husband had a very good sense of humor and since the day he died different people have been smelling smoke in my house. This has been going on for over a month now and all of my kids have experienced it and so have many friends who don't even know about it. In the beginning we were constantly looking for the source of the smell. One night about a week after he died my daughter and I were searching again for the source of the burning smell and she said "do you think that it might be dad trying to let us know he is here?". I was flabbergasted and a bit sceptical but then for a few hours it got worse. Finally, that night one of the smoke detectors in the house went off and would not shut off for several minutes. We searched and searched but could not find the source and then I was convinced. I spoke out in the night and told him "ok, ok, I believe it. . .I know you are here honey." Since then it continues to happen when you least expect it. I still go searching for the source of the burning smell and then I realize it is him and I have to laugh. We do not tell too many people about it because we don't want it to go away but it is unmistakeable. At this point I can even ask him to let me know he is here and within a short time, once I have forgotten I have asked, all of a sudden the smell is there. Even our two year old grandbaby has smelled it and announce that something was burning. We have had professionals check all of the wiring, we have replaced questionable outlets, cleamed dusty light bulbs, sniffed many appliances looking for the source and there is nothing. Even my very sceptical 82 year old dad has had to admit that it is here and there is no source. Bill quit smoking years before he was diagnosed and the smell is really not that of cigarrette smoke. It is more just a smokey scent. I love it and hope it does not stop. I feel him all around me and it is very comforting.

Two days after my father passed away, I was up late at night with my brother getting things ready for the visitation. The door was open to his bedroom and one of the cats was in there. My brother tried to get the cat out, but he couldn't. My father hated when the cats when in his room. I was in the back of the house and when I came back to the den, my brother said did you hear the alarm go off. I said no. He said it went off, like I had opened the door or the window of something. Three short beeps whenever you open a door or window. I didn't hear it at all and I told him I had not opened any doors or windows. There was no reason that should have happened. I said, it must be Daddy telling us to get that cat out of his room. I really hope it was.

• 18 years later...

Hey K.C. I am experiencing the exact same thing.  It's almost a smell of death though.  Like my dad was indeed wasting away as he died for 6 months. I cared for him 24/7 in that awful 6 months.  I told him everyday while he layed there practically paralyzed from heart failure how much I loved him.  And when he died on April 22 2022 I can still smell him as he was a couple of weeks before he passed. And like you said,  it's like I'm covered in it. Like it radiates off my chest. I can't explain