I have tried Reikki and find it very relaxing. I have not tried the essiac tea but many people believe in it. My doctor does not want me using it while on Iressa, so she may want to check with hers before using any strong supplements. I have had some luck with the Iressa and am now on the same Iressa and Celebrex as your Grandmother. I wish her the best.

I wonder why the Essiac tea would cause harm to the Iressa? I am not sure my grandma's doctor would even know what the tea is. I asked him about sugar at her last appointment and he said that no diets will help and that sugar does not fead cancer. I have heard many things to contradict that, so either he is uneducated or he doesn't like any alternative supplements. He is her oncologist too which makes me think she needs a different one.

You need to ask the Dr. if she is getting chemo because our Dr says that it could cause more harm than good during treatment. Something to do with the blood counts. I have two unopened bottles if you want them, you can pm me with your address and I will send them NC to you! Please ask the Dr first though. :wink: My sister took it a couple months before she died of breast cancer. It was too late for her by then. My husband is taking Mannatech supplements which have kept him feeling good thru chemo and radiation. If you want more info on it let me know and I will get you more info in it.

Tess

Is your Grandmother on IRESSA? You mentioned she is on Iressa! Slow down my dear, your getting one step ahead of yourself and we're trying to follow and help you out.

Iressa efficacy can be counteracted by an enzyme call CYP3A4 inducers.

Also toxicity can be increased by CYP3A4 inhibitors

IRESSA is mainly metabolized by the CYP3A4 isoenzyme system and may interact with other drugs. Substances that are inducers of CYP3A4 activity may increase metabolism and decrease IRESSA plasma concentrations. Therefore, co-medication with CYP3A4 inducers (e.g. phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampicin, barbiturates, or St. John’s Wort) may reduce efficacy.

Substances that are inhibitors of CYP3A4 activity may decrease IRESSA metabolism and increase its plasma concentration. Therefore, co-medication with CYP3A4 inhibitors (e.g. azole antimycotics such as ketoconazole and itraconazole, macrolide antibiotics such as erythromycin and clarithromycin, protease inhibitors, grapefruit juice etc.) may increase toxicity.

International Normalized Ratio (INR) elevations and/or bleeding events have been reported in some patients taking warfarin when on IRESSA. Patients taking IRESSA concurrently with warfarin should be monitored regularly for changes in Prothrombin Time (PT) or INR.

Drugs that cause significant sustained elevation in gastric pH may reduce plasma concentrations of IRESSA and therefore may reduce efficacy.

Because of these potential drug-drug interactions patients must discuss all of their medications with their doctor or pharmacist.

Guest Phyllis

My onc said that the problem with sugar is it inhibits your bone marrow's ability to recover from chemo. (I think that is what he said) I pretty much eat whatever I want. I could not have grapefruit though while on Xeloda because it does effect the chemo. All drugs are different. When I was on the trial for Iressa, I was not given any advice on what to eat. I now know I should have asked.