desperate for hope!

:cry:

my mother was diagonosed with NSCLC on 2/9/03. she has had 2 rounds of chemo (Taxol cocktail) 3 days ago (5/1/03) her left arm went numb and she could not move her fingers. we thought it was a mini-stroke or side effect of the cheom. she was supposed to start radiation yesturday and when we went in today for the arm her oncologist ordered a MRI that showed two legions on her brain. She had a PET scan last week that showed two tumors in her chest. Today I found out PET scans dont see the head and even though her main tumors shrunk considerable in her chest it doesn't stop it from spreading to the head.

now she cant have chest radiation because the tumor is behind her heart and to radiate through her heart would do severe damage to it. But they started aggressive radiation on her head for the tumors they found today. They are telling us 14 radiation visits should kill those tumors.

my question is whats the chance that it will kill the head tumors and does anyone really have long term survival for the crap disease.

her onc. is still telling us he can treat her but is he giving us false hope. I am desperate to help her but I am helpless. her chemo for the chest tumors starts over in two weeks.

to watch someone you love go through this sucks and i just want to throw up. WHY DID GOD FORSAKE HER!!!

:cry:

Numbness in a hand or arm and loss of function can also be due to a tumor on the upper spine. That is the case with my wife. The numbness and loss of some function in her left hand signaled to us something was wrong and that was when an MRI of the upper spine showed a tumor, which turned out to be NSCLC. Don

For info on Gamma knife, read a post under the LATE STAGE NSCLC and look for a post by Alyse that states in the topic title something like: sad news and want to know about gamma knife. I posted a reply about the procedure, my dad had it in Jan. 2003. I hope this helps. Good luck with your mom, the beginning is a time where you reel from all the info. (and lack of it, too), but there is much that can be done for your mom. Keep us posted, and take care, Deb