Whether to boost immune system during inflammation?

berisa

As you know, my dad surgery to remove the infected bone was done. The latest brain CT scan done this Monday showed the wound of his brain is being in inflammation and antibiotics are given everyday since after surgery. Neurosurgeon said since my dad has been received brain radiation before surgery that this may take longer time for recovery. Does it make sense???

Since my dad is taking Yunzhi, natural mushrooms that help boost and adjust immune system, do you think this will interfere the recovery from inflammation?

In general, during inflammation, should the immune system the weaker the better for avoiding triggering inner body self-defense mechanism, or on the contrary, the immune system the stronger the better of recovery?

I don't know!! It is like a gamble, my dad's lung tumor is stablized during last 2 months without treatment but only by Yunzhi, if we now stop him taking Yunzhi, I am just afraid that it will weaken his immune system and letting the cancer go strong.

What is your opinion and general knowledge on inflammation???

Berisa,

Have you asked your father's doctor if you can continue with what he is taking. It sounds like he should continue. Especially sjnce he is stable and it seems to be working for hi. I wouldn't stop or change anything there. He just had the surgery and he is on the mend right now. Give the antibiotics a chance to kick in and go there thing. This is lust my opinion. I hope this helps a little. You and dad are in my prayers...

God Bless and gentle hugs from So. California,

Karen

Berisa,

Sorry for all the typos. Couldn't sleep, got up and came to the computer and must have been half asleep when I posted to you. Hope you could read everything ok. Will do better next time. Praying this all works out for your father. You and your father are in my prayers...

Blessings,

Karen

Inflammation is used by the immune system and has been associated with cancer. There was an article in TIME recently about this.

I just learned that there are two kinds of cytokines. Cytokines are your bodies way of activating/controlling the immune system.

There are two types of cytokines - anti-inflammatory and inflammatory.

I read the Yunzhi (corilous versicolor or turkey tail) can actually reduce

inflammation.

Anti-inflammatory cytokines

a general term for those immunoregulatory cytokines that counteract various aspects of inflammation , for example cell activation or the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines , and thus contribute to the control of the magnitude of the inflammatory responses in vivo. These mediators act mainly by the inhibition of the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines or by counteracting many biological effects of pro-inflammatory mediators in different ways. The major anti-inflammatory cytokines are IL4 , IL10 , and IL13 . Other anti-inflammatory mediators inc lude IL16 , IFN-alpha , TGF-beta , IL1ra , G-CSF , as well as soluble receptors for TNF or IL6 .

It should be noted that the common and clear-cut classification of cytokines as either pro anti-inflammatory or pro-inflammatory may be misleading. The net effect of an inflammatory response is determined by the balance between pro-inflammatory cytokines and anti-inflammatory cytokines. The type, duration, and also the extent of cellular activities induced by one particular cytokine can be influenced considerably by the nature of the target cells, the micro-environment of a cell, depending, for example, on the growth and activation state of the cells, the type of neighboring cells, cytokine concentrations, the presence of other cytokines , and even on the temporal sequence of several cytokines acting on the same cell.

MaryAnn, actually Yunzhi is a natural supplement - one type of mushrooms and the doctors have no knowledge in this because they never study this thing. They usually treat it as "chinese medicine" that they will not recommend patients taking those things during treatment. Since they have no knowledge in this then they are conservatively afraid of any chemical reaction occurred while taking both.

Doctors don't know my dad now taking Yunzhi. John is right, basically Yunzhi makes the inflammation recovered faster. But, I am just afraid that will interfere my father's recovery since I am not an expert in this aspect.

Thank you all and I think I may keep him taking Yunzhi and observe....

Keep u guys informed.

Berisa,

I think your right to be asking those questions and I'm not surprized you're not finding the answeres you need. As I posted elswhere my wife almost died due to an interaction between a suplement and a medication she was taking. She asked two doctors (a GP and a Psychiatrist) before she started the suplement and they ok'd it without, it turns out, knowing enough about the suplement.

Keep asking and see if you can find an MD who's taken the time to study up on various suplements.

Dean

My dad feels severe pain at his wound but fortunately doctors have found out what the bacteria are from his wound. There is two kind of bacteria found and not easy to treat. They are giving corresponding anti-biotics to treat it. I hope he will be fine and recovered soon.

His left arm and left leg are weak, don't know why as neurosurgeon said the side effect of craniotomy is vision problem only.

Good news is, his delusion problem seems gone already. He is still on meds and it will last 3 months.

Tomorrow we will meet the neurosurgeon. Will keep you all updated. You all are always in my thought.

Hi Berisa,

Glad to hear they finally found out what is going on with your dad. Now they can get him on the right antibiotics and get this infection under control. As my nuerosuergeon told me, anytime you go into someones brain you are making a big disruption there and it takes time to heal. He said you are going to have inflammation and swelling. That is why they give you Decadron or other steroid to reduce the after effects of moving things around up there. It will take a few months for things to get back in place and funtioning normally. Your father will have a great recovery and this will be behind him. Hang in there and prayers for him and your family...

Blessings,

Karen