hope for my dad

cathy

Hi everyone..... just wanted to say after reading some of these messages I feel a bit more hopeful for my dad. he has nsclc stage 3ab. Icant wait to tell him about all the (similiar) trials he has had to deal with are pretty much the norm. Even though his doctors assured him, its so much more comforting hearing all your stories. The funny thing is when the doctors told us there was a 10% chance that he could beat this I said its better than no chance at all! Ihave to say the look on his face wasnt too encouraging, I think they are so use to their statistics. It's good to know I can come to these boards and really relate. cathy.......

p:s maybe I should have mentioned I'm new here

Hi Cathy, although I am sorry that this website is necessary for you, I must say that it has been a big help to me and I think you will find it is a great place to come to for information and support. My dad has NSCLC, extensive stage (mets -metastis' to his spine and he recently had 3 mets to the brain-which we believe were taken care of with gamma knife), he was diagnosed in January 2002, and is doing pretty well. He started Iressa and we are hopeful that it will either slow or stop the disease from further progressing, or that it will "melt" it away. We'll find out in a month how it is working for him. Anyway, I just wanted to welcome. I truly believe that a positive attitude will work in your dads favor, so if his mind set is the same as yours, he's got a big plus on his side. You didn't mention, when was he diagnosed? How is he handeling things? If you have any questions or need to relieve some stress, this is the place to go. The people here have been truly wonderful, and I know that it has helped me to have this board to turn to. It has helped my dad because I've gotten some very useful information and advice as well. Well, take care, Deb

Welcome, Cathy. You and your dad and family will be added to my prayers. This is a great place to seek support and help with worries and questions. I've gleaned a lot of information here and hope you will benefit also. Take care of yourself, too. We're going to assume that this will be a long-term commitment in spite of what skeptical doctors may say, and you'll need your energy.

Deb, Rosanne and Tiny...... thanks for getting back to me. My dad was diagnosed in Oct. 02. As far as his mood, its pretty good, he's the type of person that would put on a happy face because he wouldnt want any thing to hurt his family. He wouldn never complain about anything and never let you know if or how bad he was hurting. Just a very kind easy going man. My dad is 70 years old and I can think of only one time in my life that he raised his voice to me I was a teenager and I'm sure it was my fault.. Any way everything is backwards with his cancer. He already had surgery to remove the tumor, which as you all know, was probaly not the ideal situation. He is in his second week of radiation, which is going well...We just take one day at a time. HE has an appt. with his onc. mon. With all your problems thank you for taking time out to listen to mine. I will be reading up on you rprogress as well..... cathy I almost forgot I'm from st. clair shores Rosanne, its along Lake St. Clair I'm not very good at direction, but maybe an hour from you.... talk to you soon