Duke of Earl - Chapter 60 - Just an update

ginnyde

Dear Friends,

The Duke is doing okay. The side effects from the Iressa are mostly under control. He only had a rash on his nose and that only lasted about a month. The big D and the nausea are ongoing but are minor if the Iressa continues to keep him stable.

This a.m. we went and had his port flushed. (If anybody if considering a port, Earl's has been a Godsend and he has had no problems. Get an RX for Emla cream, a numbing cream. Put on about an hour before the port is going to be used and cover with a bandaid. Earl says it is completely numb and he feels nothing when the needle is inserted.)

Late morning we went to Nova Care to start his PT. They determined lots of weakness and balance problems. Both our primary and our onc. thought PT was a good idea. That Earl's muscles have atrophied after over 18 months of inactivity. Will let you know if it helps.

I really hope Earl gets some more energy. He really has no life right now - bed to recliner to bed. With the nicer weather, I hope he can get out and do some things.

My sister started her radiation today and will have it daily for 7 weeks with Carbo/Taxol once a week. She will have a feeding tube inserted since they say her throat will definitely swell from the rad. She is a trooper.

We have a 20 minute blizzard here today, in April??????

Hang tough all my friends, I need ALL of you here.

Love,

Ginny

Ginny,

You and The Duke are such a staple to this board and I always enjoy reading your updates. As much as you need the board, all of us need you....

I am glad that The Duke is starting PT and combined with the nicer weather, hope that he gets a bit more energy. Winter isn't too encouraging as far as leaving the house and combined with all that he has gone through, I can see the cold weather not helping!!!

Keep updating as always... wishing the best to you and yours.....

Ginny,

I sure hope and pray that the PT will do Earl a world of good. He sure deserves more energy. That bed to chair to bed routine is no good. He needs to walk around the house or outside when possible. It is amazing how just a little exercise can do wonders for our loved ones.

Hope you are doing okay to. With Earl and your sister, you sure have a lot on the plate....

Here's a hint for the Duke on his port . Instead of using a band-aid you can use Saran Wrap. Place it over the Emla cream and port, this way when you take it off you don't pull the hair out. John got so tired of losing chest hair to tape and band-aids.

Glad all is well.

Rochelle

Hmmm, Ginny....sounds like you now have the OPPOSITE problem of when the Duke skinned his face and did a header while attempting to retrieve the bird thingy....maybe if you put some ICE in that recliner he'd be more inclined to "misbehave" and scoot on outside! :wink:

Take care, enjoy the spring!

Becky

Ginny.....Glad Earl is going to PT. It helps to have someone else beside the wife to motivate some activity. Jim has the big D too, but no nausea. When does Earl take Iressa in the morning or evening? I read somewhere if you take Iressa at night you will have less side effects during the day. Best Wishes to your sister, Earl and you. Carolyn

Carolyn,

Earl is taking the Iressa with his 'nighties' (I know isn't this obnoxious). The only reason is that the pill dispenser was full with his morning pills, so the Iressa fit in the night slot. Very scientific.

BTW, I suddenly see a kind of turn around with the Duke, he seems very excited about this PT. Prayers that it works and gives him some energy.

Ginny

Ginny - maybe it's the idea of the "medical community" saying that he deserves more out of life than sitting around. It's one thing when family says it, but another when the dr. does. Kind of implies that they believe you have a lot more living to do.

Either way, hope it works out well.

Ginny,

Just wanted to reply today. My messages will be short for a while, but caring. I am so excited that the Duke is excited about the PT. Praying this helps him get his strength back and the Iressa keeps working and he is able to get back doing the things he enjoys. God is good and always hears our prayers. Prayers, hugs and in my thoughts each day!

Blessings,

Karen

Hi Ginny,

I had been stuck from recliner to bed to couch for a while too.As soon as I got my appetite back and started walking outside a bit I felt a lot better.The first couple of days I was sore but it is helping my attitude for sure.I see that he is excited about PT now.That is good.Just a little helps me a lot.I pray for the best for all of us.TBone

Hi Ginny,

I'm still here. Happy to here Duke is doing OK. Ada loved her port - she was mad that she didn't get it earlier in her treatment. Anyhow, I'm happy things are OK - hope you guys can get out and enjoy the spring weather.

Jim