Sign in to follow this  
Guest daddysgirl

new here - anyone know anything about Bevacizumab?

Guest daddysgirl

Hey guys, my name is Ashley...I just found out 2 weeks ago that my father has lung cancer..now today I found out that a small tumor is on his shoulder. I am dying inside knowing what he is going to have to go through. The doctors would like him to do the experimental drug thing, its called Bevacizumab. Can anyone give me info on how it has affected other peopl doing this trial?? Thanks

Welcome Ashley, From what I have just read it seems like it works fairly well when combined with chemo. It seems to have an increased rate of serious side effects when compared to basic standard chemo. But in my opinion preventing angiogenesis is crucial in stopping the cancer from growing, once chemo has shrunk it. There are a lot of less toxic ways of doing the same thing as bevacizumab, but it is a good start.

Best of Luck,

Cary

Targeting VEGF

In lung cancer, the largest clinical experience has been reported for bevacizumab, an anti-VEGF antibody. Phase 1 trials have demonstrated its safety and, because of the long half-life observed, weekly intravenous doses of 5-15 mg/kg were recommended for further study. A randomized phase 2 trial that evaluated the combination of paclitaxel/carboplatin alone or with bevacizumab at either 5 mg/kg or 15 mg/kg was conducted.[12,13]

The objective response rates were higher in the 2 groups receiving bevacizumab, whether the response was scored by the investigator or by an independent review panel. Time to progression (TTP) was longer in the bevacizumab groups, with the longest TTP in the high-dose group. Survival was also longest in the high-dose bevacizumab group, but it was longer than expected from historical controls in all groups. This might be attributed to the fact that the patients in the chemotherapy-alone group were allowed to cross over to receive antibody at the time of progression.

The study was complicated by the unexpected development of a severe, and occasionally lethal toxicity, pulmonary hemorrhage. There were 6 deaths from this complication in the bevacizumab-treated groups, but none in the chemotherapy-alone group. This complication was more frequent in patients with central tumors, especially tumors of squamous cell histology. The results of this trial led the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) to institute a randomized phase 3 trial comparing paclitaxel/carboplatin alone with paclitaxel/carboplatin plus high-dose bevacizumab. This trial is currently in progress.

Unexpected bleeding problems have also been observed with several small VEGF receptor-directed TKIs. Clinical trials with one of these agents, SU5461, were discontinued due to lack of efficacy, but phase 1 and phase 2 clinical trials with most of the other agents listed above are continued