having rough time with chemo

close to the edge

OMG the nausea is so bad. even with the meds 24-7(compazine) :oops: got progresavily better over the week but it will start all over again tomarrow with more chemo tomarrow. am trying to eat small meals that dont smell before you cook them. bananas/jello/salty foods/gingeraile/ if any one has any other suggestions it would be great. feeling tiered too. guess that goes with the territory. including tomarrow 8 more therapy's to go............. :lol: best wishes to all luv & light

Close,

I didn't do chemo so have no suggestions on foods, etc. (and I HATE Jell-O, especially the green stuff). All I can offer you is a voice in your cheering section, so here goes:

Chemo's icky - makes you sick...

Give that cancer a big hard KICK!

GOOOOOOooooooo TEAM!

One day at a time, focus on getting through one day at a time...there IS an end in sight, keep up the countdown...

Hang in there!

Becky

Do they give you anti-nausea medication in an IV prior to chemo? What chemo are you on, I don't see that you mentioned it? Sounds like you're doing all you can, none of the chemos John had hit him like that. Feel so bad for you...

Rochelle

Hi- I hope this can help. My dad was going through some tough eating times, and all that he seemed to be able to eat was soup, and pound cake. I guess all thats easy on his stomach. He eats what he can when he can, and usually smaller meals. Fruit and vegetables usually dont stay down. Hes pretty much living on pound cake. At least its something that tastes good. Try that, you never know! Jamie :)

For me, Zofran worked much better than compazine--it's really expensive, but I have a prescription card, so that didn't matter. They told me to take the anti-nausea meds whether I felt bad or not because you couldn't knock it out once it started but you needed to keep ahead of it.

Despite taking the meds, I got a little queasy and fruits and vegetables did not work at all. Jello was good, 7-up was good, chicken noodle soup and saltines was good, white bread tasted good both toasted and not. I think the key was whatever tasted good and would stay down.

I just had that terrible metallic taste in my mouth for the duration. Remember, keep your eye on the prize at the end--this will be worth it and it will be over one day.

I took Zofran the entire time, I think 3 x a day, and I believe I had iv premed of zofran and lorazepam. I also had lorazepam 1 mg 2 x day it's good for nausea and anxiety as well. Didn't do compazine at all.

I know exertion or pain would accelerate the nausea. I spent a lot of time in the recliner. I did see many people with the anti nausea wrist bands, that isn't expensive and couldn't hurt to try.

I ate very small meals, but tried to keep something inmy stomach all the time. I was also taking prilosec, which helped with the nausea some.

HAng in there, cookie, one foot in front of the other. The only way to get past this is through and out the other side. Remember, it's GOOD for you!

Be thankful we're alive now and not 80 years ago......

When all else fails, lose yourself in reading a good novel or watching a rental video and take naps. Lots of naps. And bubblebaths.

Bless you, hang on, you're in my prayers.

XOXOX

MaryAnn

tell the onc. nurses that admin the chemo all this. they can change the anti-nausea meds pre-chemo. when mom and dad were doing chemo they had to change them about 4 times each to offset different side effects. some anti nausea meds gave headaches while others gave horrible upset stomachs while others still gave awful taste in their mouths.

cant hurt to ask.

Dear Close,

I had the WORSE nausea imaginable. Nothing worked at all for me, not after 3 months of trying until 2 weeks ago. I started two new things then (l) started to go to acpuncture and 2) taking zanax 2-3 times a day. I can hardly believe it but I sure am enjoying it. Here's hoping you find something just for you.

Good Luck.

Francine

God Bless us All

I second the thought on telling the nurses who give you the chemo--they can change to other types of anti-nausea meds.

The other thing is drink lots of fluids all the time--you do not want to dehydrate--that is bad bad bad. Should always be drinking lots of water and juices but now especially it is critical.

I ate a lot of Cambell's chicken-n-stars soup w/ saltines and sipped on green tea during my really bad chemo-nauseau days. I also bought a Betty Crocker Cookbook for cancer patients that had suggestions on simple recipes to eat when undergoing radiation or chemo. (Of course, I never felt like cooking them myself, but my best friend used to come over and make me some meals now and again).

The best advice I got from my chemo nurses was to take my Zofran (anti-nausea pill) BEFORE I actually felt sick -- it is great at PREVENTING it, but not so good at TREATING it.

I also had some pretty bad dehydration, which I learned can make you feel r-e-a-l-l-y bad -- headach-ey and just an overall "fuzzy feeling". Make sure you drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and don't hesitate to let the nurses know how you are feeling -- they used to determine my dehydration by simply taking my blood pressure and after getting a bag of fluids, I always felt better!

Hope this passes for you quickly and you feel like your old self again soon!

Guest Phyllis

It would help to know what type of chemo you are on. You need to let your nurses and docs know you are having a bad time. I know I get lots of pre-meds before the chemo and lots of saline during the chemo. I take Zofran and have experienced no problems. This is weird but chinese food seemed to sit well with me when I did have problems. Especially, egg drop soup. The problem with eating a lot of sugary stuff is it may end up making you more tired than you realize. You know sugar high and then you crash. I think my one onc said that it made it harder for your body to build back its bone marrow on something like that.

Guest Phyllis

It would help to know what type of chemo you are on. You need to let your nurses and docs know you are having a bad time. I know I get lots of pre-meds before the chemo and lots of saline during the chemo. I take Zofran and have experienced no problems. This is weird but chinese food seemed to sit well with me when I did have problems. Especially, egg drop soup. The problem with eating a lot of sugary stuff is it may end up making you more tired than you realize. You know sugar high and then you crash. I think my one onc said that it made it harder for your body to build back its bone marrow on something like that.

Sorry you are so sick. My Dad gets Kytril (anti-nausea) IV right before his chemo. He also takes either Kytril or Zofran tablets every 12 hours after his treatments AND takes compazine every 4-6 hours. He only takes the Kytril or Zofran for 2-3 days after treatment. I don't know if all of this has done the trick or if Dad's body is just able to take the chemo well........either way, it has worked so that's what we are continuing. Dad has not been sick one time. Hopefully your onc. nurse can help you. Call them today!

Angie

Guest Billie

I told my oncologist that the nausea and vomiting were what I feared most about the chemo. I started on Taxol and Carbo, but was switched to Gemzar and Carbo because of an allergic reaction. My doctor promised me I would not experience any of that and I didn't. He said that there were some really good drugs out recently to combat the nausea. He prescribed ANZIMET for me. I took it once a day for 3 days following chemo. It is also very expensive, but very worth it. So, I agree wholeheartedly, you must tell your doctor and chemo nurses about your nausea. They can help.

Good luck and best wishes for smooth sailing though the rest of your treatments.

Billie

I also took "Anzimet" with Kytril and it did the trick for me. Yes...it's a new and expensive drug so it might only be feasible for chemo patients with prescription drug coverage. Don't give up on finding the right combination of anti-nausea meds that will work for you. All our bodies take the chemo so differently....it stands to reason the feel-good drugs will be individualized too.

The Ativan (lorazapam) worked better then the zofran. I went to my happy place for the day, and life was good. Much better then feeling sick. And I didn't get hooked.

Once I decided to take it easy for two days, life wasn't bad. I lived on chicken rice soup and yogurt. Had no appetite for three days, but that wasn't a bad thing, and it CAME RIGHT BACK!!!

gail

One of the things I think worked for me was I had them give me my IV anti nausea med's SLOWLY, so it had more time to work. I have been told by some doc's that this IS A GOOD IDEA! I have suggested this to many of my Support Group Members and they have all said it worked well, as have some breast cancer patients. It's worth a try. Maybe you need to change your Compazine, they have others!

I hope your feeling better REAL SOON my DEAR! Stay as strong as possible. We're here for you!

I had the combo carbo/VP 16. My doctor said I would not be nauseated but I was. I never "lost" it but it was hard for me to eat until he started me on Zophran. That worked well but like the others have said it is great for prevention but not for treatment. I started it right after chemo each time and took it every 12 hours for about 3 days. It left a terrible taste in my mouth but I could tolerate that much easier than the nausea. The anti-nausea meds they gave me in the IV prior to the chemo also worked well for a few hours. I was also given some steroid with it that had me feeling really well for about 24 hours. I used that time to eat and get things done that I had not done. Hope this helps. Like some others said,

tell the nurses and/or doc. There are things that will help.

Nina,

aka Nushka

My mom gets an iv form of Anzemet before chemo, then Anzemet pills 100mg at home. They are very expensive-$268 for 4 pills at the drug store. Always ask for samples, the drug companies should be giving the onc office plenty. See if the drug works for you before investing in your own prescription! There seems to be lots of options out there. Best of luck and sending good thoughts your way.

could you get the doctor to give you Kytrel and decodron for the nausea?

My hushad took both and it did help some, he was still a bit nauseaed but not to the point of being down with it.

I know this effects everyone different and there is not much worse that I can think of as being sick to your stomach 24-7. It makes like a real drag. But hang in there in will get better as time passes. Kayd