My husband was diagosed Jan. 30 with Lung Cancer

Guest Barb46

Guest Barb46

My husband Marvin, a wonderful person, who I am married to 24 years in July, was diagosed Jan. 30th. He had copd and the doc. was watching a spot for 1 1/2 years. (I think we should have operated right away but really didn't know anything). When the spot changed after, CT's Pet scans and biospys didn't show anything like cancer, he said we should go in and see the one spot on his node that they never saw before, and see if it is positive. I am sorry that I am rambling but glad I found a board for the mate of cancer as I am a little down, but holding up for him and am concerned about the end of the road.

He has 10 more days of radiation and 8 days more of Chemo. I think we are half way home. Of course we don't talk about what if? But I ask you what are our chances that with progressive chemo and radiation, (he had to stop as he couln't eat or drink, so we are only doing the last 10 days of radiation without chemo, that the node will shrink and then we can go in and take the piece of the lobe and be cancer free? Am I dreaming or are there statictics that show we could be cancer free? Thank you for all your help and insight. Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Welcome to the family. I am glad that you have found us although sad that you have to seek us out.

As you continue to read on in this board and meet the wonderful people on this board you will see a lot of survivors that have defied statistics and their doctor's prognosis. You certainly came to the right place if you are looking for support, knowledge and/or just to vent your fears or frustrations. This disease can be beaten or put at bay until newer and more powerful treatments are discovered. Positive thinking is a key and also lots of research.

Please feel at home and make yourself comfortable. We are here for you.

Theresa

Welcome Barb,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I am glad you found us though. There is a lot of support knowledge and caring on this site, and we try and be here for each other, no matter what your need.

Please try not to pay too much attention to statistics. They are usually old, and use data derived from outdated treatment methods. Your husband is an individual, and even if the odds are 1 in a million, who's to say he can't be that 1.

That said, there have been examples that I have seen of people on this board that underwent treatment (radiation / chemo), and were able to shrink peripheral nodes and tumors to the point of being able to have successful surgery.

I will be praying for you and your husband.

Carleen

Early on, my father's doctors told him his cancer was too widespread for surgery or radiation. A doctor in FL told him that without surgery he would probably only survive 6 months. After his chemo, things looked a little better so he was able to receive radiation. It is now a year and four months later and he is still around. As you have read from other posts, there are plenty of success stories on this board which may help you realize that his chances may be quite good.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

Lucie, my wife, was given 9 months statistically. She is now 1 1/2 yr. survivor, and doing well. Hope is always a good thing to have. Many cancer patients and families, including our own, now don't look down the road to the end of the journey, but live each day of the journey as full as we can. We see that as more important than how ong the journey lasts. Good luck. Don