New to Board...Need encouragement.

TJSMOM

My dad had a chest x-ray and cat scan done last week and the pulmonologist sent him to have a PET scan done. We got the results today and he has two small hot spots in the upper part of his left lung. My mom, sister, and I are all really upset and confused. His Dr. told us that if the spots showed hot it was probably cancer and if they were cold it was probably scar tissue from where he had TB when he was younger so we went into the scan thinking if they were hot they were automatically cancer. They came back showing hot but now he wants to do a scope and biopsy the two spots. He said today that he want say for sure if they are cancer until then. He said we should consider ourselves lucky so I think that's positive but I am so scared....I haven't been able to do anything but cry since I talked to my mom. Any information would be a great help. I am sorry I'm rambling.

Hi,

Welcome to our family, but sorry for the reason you had to find us. The doctor is right, if the spots are indeed cancer and confined to your dad's lung, that is very good news as surgery can be performed. The first few days and weeks are very overwhelming and upsetting, so come here often. There is lots of support and information to gain from everyone here.

Blessings,

Denise

Hi,

Yours is a typical reaction when learning of a loved one's cancer diagnosis. Being scared is normal but once the reality sinks in and you are able to distance yourself from the initial diagnosis then you will realize that there is hope and there are a lot of treatment options for your Dad. You will meet a lot of people here that have defied the odds that their doctors have given them. They are surviving and living their lives. You have come to the right place. There are a lot of support, sharing of info/knowledge, love and caring in this board.

I'd rather that you did not have to find us but now that you have found us,

welcome!

Theresa

Well, I can't say that getting a dx of cancer is "lucky" .. but .. if it is cancer and the tumors are small then THAT is lucky. Lung cancer is no longer the death sentence it has been in the past and the earlier it's caught the more likely the cure.

Now the thing for you to do is realize this is a LONG way from over. There is much work yet to be done and getting an accurate dx is esential for gettign the right treatment.

Hang in there. It's a bumpy ride at times, but one that doesn't have to be taken alone.

Dean

Welcome to the family. We will be here to support you when you need it and to answer what questions we can. Sounds like your Dad's Dr.s want to be sure what they are dealing with which is a step in the right direction!

Prayers that the biopsey comes back as clean!

God Bless,

MO

Thank you so much for your support. I am a little calmer than I was when I first posted. Please know that you all are also in my prayers. Thank you for making me feel so welcome and for helping to calm my fears. I have read some of the other posts and you guys are amazing. I will keep you posted and visit each day. God bess you all.

Hello,

I have to ditto what the others said, so sorry you had to find us. It sounds as if your Dad is being dianosed at a very early stage - that is great! There are so many favorable options for him.

I am wishing the very best for all of you.

God Bless.

Hello,

Welcome. Sounds like your father's doctor is doing all the right things. It is real tough when you first get a diagnosis but there are many people on this board that are here to help you and your family get through this. My prayers are with you and your family.

Hugs,

Nancy B

Sorry to welcome you here but this is the best place I have found in many ways, you will get a lot of help. It does sound early, if it is happening at all, that part of it is lucky.

To address the emotions - we were all devasted for about 2 weeks, then the emotions settled down. We are still emotional but the worst of it was right at first. We just all cried it out and the shock part did pass.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Margaret

I remember how shocked and scared I was when my father's doctor first mentioned lung cancer. At the time, my parents were in Florida and I was in Maine. It was so frustrating being so far away from them and them not really being able to convey clear messages from his doctors. It's been over a year now and my parents are living within walking distance from me. Although we all still have our down days, we have many more ups than downs.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Hi,

Sorry you have to be here and sorry about the news on your dad. You will find so much information and support here. We are all family and here to help with all that we can. Please come here often and let us know how things are going. In my prayers...

Blessings,

Karen