Need a little help from friends

gail

I see the oncologist on Wednesday at 3 PM and am already having a nervous breakdown. I woke up yesterday with a brand new pain on my left side. Pretty much there all day. Now understand, I've had lots of pains before, and nothing lasts long, but for some reason I have myself worked up on this one. I finally reached for my ativan today, since I had myself in such a high state of anxiety. Guess what???? I left them at school in another bag!!! (No, I am not popping pills at school---just changed bags and forgot to change them)

Then I had another anxiety moment trying to decide what to do. Decided God did not want me to take the pills. I did find three old ones, but didn't take them--I'm saving them. :lol:

Wnt to my best friends instead, and sat in her massage chair. That helped.

And I decided to share my feelings and fears with the one group that will understand the best!

Love you guys

gail

Gail,I think we all do that.I preach to every one about mind over matter and I see the uncologist thursday For 3 month checkup and I'm going nuts as well.Every ache,twinge and pain seems like it's you know what is causing it.Like Don says we have to calm down.Now isn't that better?????

Hang in there girl.

FRANK L.

Don's right, Gail. BREATHE! BREATHE! BREATHE! Sometimes I think the anticipation for the tests and checkups is 1,000 times worse than the disease. I don't care what anybody says - knowing is better than not knowing. As soon as we know, good or bad, we usually calm down a little and just deal with it. In the meantime, it's pure torture, isn't it? Another good calming down technique is to relax your shoulders. If you can fully relax your shoulders, all the tension goes away - it's almost impossible to feel stress with relaxed shoulders. Try it! :P Our son is always getting worked up about something, and I just touch his shoulders and tell him to relax his shoulders. When he cooperates - it works!! When he doesn't cooperate . . . . well, that's another story.

Peggy

Gail,

Must be left side pain week, lol. I went to the ER tonight with a major pain in my left side. For now they think diverticulitis but I will get a CT scan on Monday to double check. Prayers and best wishes that your pain is nothing more than pre-scan nerves.

God Bless,

MO

Gail,

I completely understand. My scans are not until April 19 and won't know the results until April 21 but I am already thinking about them daily.

I believe Peggy is right. Its much better to know. Take deep breaths and go get the meds that you need. Heck that is what they are for and you are not going to get addicted to them if you take them only when you need them. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you ....let us know.

Nina

Gail,

I am sure every little itch and creak is scary during test time. I think stress can cause all sorts of strange manifestations. This pain may just be stress. Take any pill that will help you to relax as best as possible and go hear the 'good' news this week.

Ginny

Thank you everyone!!! I feel strongly that God wanted me to handle this one by reaching out and asking for support. So I did, and today feel much better, and ready to seize the day.

I am off to church with my mother---an hour away, but it makes her happy .

gail

Gail,

I am glad that you are feeling better now. Sorry I missed your post yesterday!

As far as the pain is concerned, been there, done that as you know! Hope the next few days go fast for you!!!

Gail,

I'd say relax, but that would be the pot calling the kettle black ;)

I am thinking good thoughts and I would bet anything that if you surveyed 20,000 people, they all had unexplained left side pain :) And the more you think about it, the more it hurts. Vicious circle.

Looking forward to hearing good news.

Gail,

All will be fine. As they say, it's all in our head. Just don't panic. God spoke to you and you listened and was able to calm down. You are a survivor and this is just a little pinch and it is annoying. Keep us posted on how you are and what the results were. You are in my prayers.

Blessings and gentle hugs,

Karen

Gail,

Let's think back a few weeks to that phone conversation we had.....the one where I told you I had crazy back pain and it kept getting worse and worse and worse......and I INSISTED on an MRI and it was completely clear....and the very next day the back pain was GONE.

I apparently manifested the pain in my back from anxiety.....and you told me to relax, breath deep, and get a massage.....it is now my turn to pass that advice back to you! :wink:

That doctor's appointment can't come fast enough and I will be sending some quick prayers your way to ease your mind until the appt!

Take care,

Heather

Guest Phyllis

We have all been there. I have my appointment for the test results tomorrow, and I could just climb out of my skin sometimes. You just have to be optimistic and hope for the best. Good luck!

Gail,

Best thing to do is go on a two day bender and forget about EVERYTHING until Wednesday...

But, back to reality....remember to breathe....and relax....and tell that little voice that is giving you so much trouble to shut the hell up! Darn voice anyway....keeping us up at night with that out of tune chorus of what if and why me and what next! Geesh!

So, over the weekend, I worked on relieving my stress...

Hubby had church for four hours Saturday night - him being a good Catholic choir boy and all... SO, I prepared for it...pillow for the bathtub, bath salts, candles, strawberries, wine... Filled a bucket with ice and put the bottle of wine in it, filled the tub with warm "salted" water, lit candles, put in a nature CD, put the phone in the bathroom (if I HADN'T, it surely would have rang!), sliced strawberries and dusted them with sugar, grabbed a wine goblet and climbed in... Water is SOOOO soothing... poured a glass of wine, munched some strawberries, submerged myself in the waterfall CD...refilled my glass, had more strawberries, sank deeper into the tub....grabbed a loofah and exfolliated, refilled the wine glass... Would you believe I drank the WHOLE bottle? LOL - my husband couldn't, either!

I DID manage to get out of the tub myself and dry off...crawled into some nice clean sheets and waited for him to come...mostly awake...and SOOOO relaxed...

Ahhhhh....

Try the water therapy, Gail... maybe buy TWO bottles of wine... :wink:

Becky

(I ain't gonna waste my breath telling you not to worry...doesn't work when I tell myself that, either!)

Gail,

I sure do understand what you're going through--every single time my 3 month follow-ups get closer, I get all kinds of weird pains--they all go away as soon as I'm out of the doc's office.

I never, ever used to be like this--I have gone for years without taking a sick day at work, but now, with two cancer diagnoses out of the clear blue sky, I never know what to think but I sure have lost confidence in my own health.

I know you'll do just fine--I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you--you do the same for yourself.