I am back

Andrea

Hi everyone,

I just got back. It was hard to be away from the board for that long! My mom just told me that my grandfather passed away yest. When she said "a bit of sad new" I almost died myself thinking it was her. There was a family decision not to call me and "ruin" my weekend b/c there was nothing I could do. He was 95 and while I was sooo close and loved him sooo much, it is hard for me to mourn him because my heart is just breaking and mourning for for dear Andrea B, Stephanie, Natalie, and so many others who are way too young.

When we were driving through Santa Barbara I said in the car "oh, my friend Fay lives here, I wonder if she is a regular person or lives in one of these $11million homes"....I was telling my inlaws that even though I never met anyone from here, I consider everyone a true friend. It is so hard to explain :)

Anyway I had a good time, for those thinking of a vacation, California is truly beautiful. I saw the "country" side of CA which I never really knew existed.

I bought the perfect wall plaque in Solvang for me and my mom. It says "Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair...it passes the time, but gets you nowhere". It was appropriate :):)

Sorry to hear about your grampa, my favoritest one died last June - a month shy of his 90th birthday. I think of him a lot and every time I smell Old Spice :)

Hope you and your new hubby didn't decide to save $$ and share a double room with the in-laws! Ain't a true vacation if ya have to "behave" and have a chaperone or two... :oops:

..don't ask LilyJohn for beach pointers if traveling with your in-laws....LOL (Love ya, Lily, you make me smile!)

Becky

Becky,

You are too funny. Did I tell you that they offered for us to save money and they would pay for a suite hotel room and we could sleep on the sofa bed??? Brian and I were like nah, a sofa bed is not comfortable. We got our own room :) Although sometimes it was like they were in the room. We stayed at 3 different places, a different place each night and at the first place I heard my father in law sneeze three times through the wall :) I asked him the next morning if he sneezed at such and such a time and we cracked up :)

Andrea,

I'm just a regular person...that means I can't afford to live in Santa Barbara. LOL

I live in the unincorporated part of Santa Barabara County...out in the boonies, or rather the Mesa. It's quiet, and a little bit like living in an episode of Wild Kingdom, but I like it. Things are becoming a bit crowded around here these days, though. Because housing is too expensive in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, housing is being built in my neck of the Mesa (new three bedroom cookie cutter house runs about $450,000 to $650,000 in my area....much more affordable than Santa Barbara or SLO, where the same thing will run you $1,000,000.) So I'm looking at moving out of this area... I need to find another rural paradise that is within driving distance of a major cancer center. :roll:

Glad you are back.

Fay,

You said something that was on my mind the entire trip--getting cancer care in certain areas. We got to Solvang Thurs night, saw Solvang Fri for a little; drove to Sam Simeon and took a Hearst Castle Tour on Fri and then down to San Louis Obispo; Sat we saw Santa Barbara, lots of rural area and spent the night in Carpenteria and came home today.

The rural areas were BEAUTIFUL. I was in awe! And I saw the new homes in those areas and was wondering the prices :) But I did think about how hard it would be for cancer patients in even more rural areas, not within even an hour of a major center. That was on my mind the entire time b/c we drove through so much of it.

I think everyone here should come to California for a vacation so we can all meet :) I know, easier said than done ;)

As for my grandfather, thank you. I really can't be sad. I am more sad of the losses here only b/c 95 years old is a GREAT age to live to without ever having any major medical problems. I got into a debate four months ago with someone at work about that----she said a loss at any age is equally hard. While I agree loss of a parent at anytime is hard, anyone who makes it to their 90s is blessed :)

Andrea,

I'm glad you had a nice trip and got to see some of the more beautiful parts of the California countryside. Also very sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. :cry: I'm sure you will miss him, but as you said, living to age 95 is wonderful.

I'm glad your father-in-law apparently had the grace not to say what HE heard through the walls - ha! (I mean, I'm sure you and your new hubby had some fascinating but private converstaions on the other side of that wall.) I hope your in-laws understood that the main reason you didn't take them up on the offer to share a room was that you didn't want those long conversations to keep them awake... :wink:

Seriously, I'm glad you got away and had a nice time. You deserved it !

BeckyCW

Guest Karen C.

Andrea, so sorry to hear about your Grandfather but glad to hear how well you are handling that. I think when a person that age passes it's more of a celebration of their life, what a good thing, to live that long and have loving family! My grandmother died about six years ago just shy of her 95th birthday and the saddest thing was that we wouldn't have her home to go visit again. I mean, we missed her greatly - that's the point. After she died my uncle and his wife moved into her house and it wasn't the same house at all without her in it!

Anyway, glad you had a good trip, and our condolences to your wonderful family.

God Bless,

Karen C.

Aorry to hear about your grandfather. :cry: But, glad you are back with us. You are my "neurotic" double. :wink: I don't feel nearly as neurotic when you are here. :lol: Hey, you better get over to the "Just for laughs" message board and defend yourself. Mr. Ry has been taking advantage of you being on vacation. (Lawyer jokes) Glad you're back!

Angie

Andrea,

I'm so sorry about your grandfather. Although he lived a long life, I'm sure it hurts just as much. My grandma died when she was 88. Everyone still cries about her death (this was 10 years ago). At my wedding everyone said, "oh I wish she could have been here" We still do it with every Christmas, etc. I always crack my family up though because I always tell them "heck, you want the poor woman to be alive until she's 120?" I'm glad to hear he lived a long life.

Andrea,

So glad you had a nice three day trip. sorry about your grandfather though but 96 and mostly healthy is great. If we all could only be so lucky.

My son and his family are heading for California in July and wanted me to come with them but not this year for me. would love to see it and have a guided tour guide too.

Hope your mom is feeling somewhat better..

Andrea,

Sorry to hear about grandpa. He did have a full life and was truly blessed. We love to go to Solvang, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. We take our fifth wheel (40' and all the luxary of home) and camp in the camp grounds there in San Luis Abispo. It is beautiful this time of the year. You can do the grunnion hunting on the beach in San Luis Obispo and go to all the little shops right there on the beach. If I recall, this happens twice per year. Fay, help me out here... I loves Anderson's Restaurant (in Buellton) they have the best split pea soup. We always stop on the way or coming back from that area. I hope you had a relaxing and fun mini vacation. You deserved a break and much needed time with your hubby...

Blessings and hugs,

Karen