Long term survivors

chloesmom

Anybody seen the issue of US News and World Report with Cancer on the cover? Big article regarding the issues of long-term survivorship. Articles about people who are many years out from cancer treatment and the problems they have encountered because of it, both emotional and physical.

Reason this is good news is that people ARE SURVIVING THIS DISEASE FOR A LONG TIME NOW!!!!!!!!! I think this is something to be excited about.

Now, they are talking about the long term bad effects of radiation, and the heart problems that develop in a lot of years after cisplatin treatments, both of which I have had, but the article talks about having to address long term survivors of these caustic treatments, where before they didn't even worry about these in a long-term perspective, because long- term was unheard of.

According to this article, survivorship is becoming part of integrated treatment plans at the big cancer hospitals in the US, and hopefully, by the time we are affected with the side effects of our current treatments, solutions will be in place.....

I say this is a good reason for a happy face today!@ :D

Boy I guess I'm first in line! I started Cisplatin in 12/97 with radiation ( and VP 16) then had more Cisplatin ( and VP 16) after I had a lobe of lung removed , finishing up in April 98 because of neuropathy ( missed the last doses) I'll have to check up on this. Of course I am a 6 + yr survivor enjoying the company of NED which is a whole lot better than the alternative.

Hebbie--Just talking about cancer in general, but still--

Donna--Aren't you happy though having to possibly deal with prospects of side effects in the long term rather than the alternative? I sure am. I'm also really really glad that researchers are looking at long term quality of life of survivors............

Thanks Donna for researching. Just saw on NBC, the clip about lung cancer and women It was a good message. Spoke about how it's not just a smokers disease and effects more women than men. This is good to hear on the news. Maybe we'll get more funding for research and a cure...

Blessings,

Karen

Guest Karen C

yep - that link works, and it's a really interesting article.

You know, I envision a long term survivors forum on this board with people giving each other advice on health issues to be on the lookout for in the future.

Karen C.

Thanks for getting that link for me--I don't have the issue here, and I tried to Google it, but didn't have a lot of time to investigate today.

A long-term survivor's link on this board--wouldn't that be great? And even greater, to have it crowded with participants??????????

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

From the article:

Says oncology nurse Catherine Harvey: "We are now only beginning to understand that how you live with the experience is more important in many ways than how you die."

So true - so very true. Thanks for the info! Some of it was hard to take but for the most part it was great. Survivors - yay! :D:D