Going into GVAX trialsl

Guest Billie

Guest Billie

Well, I was accepted into the Clinical Trials for GVAX at the U of MN in Madison. The Cancer Center there has submitted an application for approval to my insurance company to cover the cost of the surgery. Get this!!!!! If my insurance company will not pay, I will have to pay out of pocket and the cost is between $7,000.00 and $10,000. Can you believe it??? The development of the vaccine and all subsequent tests will be covered by the sponsor, however. I am feeling very confident right now that this is the right road for me. We haven't scheduled a date for the surgery yet, but it should be within the next couple weeks. Four weeks after that to grow the vaccine and then the treatments begin. 5 to 6 injections at a time, every other week, for about 5 treatments. I do need your support and prayers that this trial works for me, as the chemo was not as effective as was hoped.

Thank you all so much. Talking to you all really does help.

Billie

Billie,

The very best of luck to you!!! I hope that this GVAX works for you. I am so glad that you made it to this trial. Please let us know how everything is going. Meanwhile, rest up and get ready for the surgery. I am pulling for you!

Sending out positive thoughts and prayers.

Theresa

Guest Karen C

Billie - good luck. I hope the insurance company picks up the "co-payment" but if not and this works, it's well worth the money! Maybe the cancer center would even write it off. But I bet it gets covered.

You sound so upbeat and optimistic - good for you!

Keep us posted!

God Bless,

Karen C. (David C's wife)

Good luck Billie!!!!!!!! That is great news!!!!!!

As for the cost, I now no longer believe in the phrase that "money can't buy happiness or health". In certain circumstances with cancer, if we don't have the money to do the trials........ oy vey.

Keep us posted!

Billie,

Congratulations. WE are all anxioous to know how this works for you. You are the first person I have heard of actually accepted into the trial. What kind of NSC do you have? Is it adenocarcinoma and do you have BAC features? Keep us up to date please!

Cheryl

Guest Billie

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and I will keep you posted all the way. Cheryl, I really don't have my full diagnosis, except that I am stage 4 with mets to lymph glands and adrenal gland. I asked my doctor about the BAC feature, since I didn't know what that meant, and he said that no, I do not have that. When I finished chemo on 2/27/03, all of my supraclavicular nodes had disappeared and so I could not participate in the GVAX trials. However, just two weeks ago the nodes returned. I called my onc. and we did a CT scan of neck and chest last week. The cancer is growing again in my lymph nodes and adrenal gland, even though the tumor in my lung has shrunk. Anyway, while I was still in the doc's office last Friday morning, he called the doctor at U of WI ( they did residency together) and explained that my neck nodes were now big enough to procure a useable specimen for the vaccine. They agreed to take me right then and there because I had already met all the other criteria. My oconogist is also encouraging me to go this route rather than any other treatment. I spoke with the U of WI Cancer Center again today and I told them that I was going forward with the surgery and trial whether insurance covers it or not.

Best of luck and prayers are being sent your way!! How very exciting :D Please keep us all up to snuff on your progress. As for the money... I hope you are covered but if not It will be worth every penny if it works for you and becomes an option for all that suffer this grim disease!! All good things come to those that wait... you waited and now it's time for the good things :D One thing we must all remember is there is ALWAYS hope. I believe in miracles.

Billie,

I, too, have applied for the GAVX trials. I spoke to them last week and they said I passed the first criteria and are sending me written forms now. I am also stage 4 with adrenal gland involvement. I am on my second bout of chemo with Taxotere since Cisplatin and Gemzar did not work. Please keep us informed and I will do the same. I do believe this gives us some hope!!!

CathyR