Confused

I have been reading through different postings here and getting a bit confused... My oncologist told me when I was diagnosed with SCLC that my chances were very good ... I have it in both lungs, my liver, and I believe the pancrease and also a small spot on my adrenal gland... from what I have read this would be considered extensive SCLC not Limited SCLC but I read somewhere on a post that there is no cure for Extensive SCLC so is my doctor not being honest with me? Also I talked to him about quitting smoking and he said lets do one thing at a time, so is he treating me with chemo for no reason because I read someones post here that their oncologist said if they continued to smoke the treatment would do no good.... I'm confused.. which oncologist is right?

Jane

Your doctor probably feels you under under a lot of stress so it would be difficult to quit. If you feel you can handle it ask for some help like wellbutrin or the patch. In just a few days your body will thank you. Donna G

PS we have several extensive SCLC people in our local group that are doing just fine.

It seems your onc. is a firm believer in hope. I'd say that's a good thing. Quitting smoking will do you a world of good, so go right ahead and ask for the help you need. "Cure" is a misleading word. "Remission" and NED are where you want to get first. Those goals are certainly possible. Long-term survival is possible. Out-lasting the beast while waiting for a true cure is possible.

I hope you will do well with treatment. Many people do.

Jane - you can certainly beat the extensive SCLC. As far as smoking goes, Dave's oncologist (he has limited SCLC) told him that it was caused by his smoking and if he didn't quit nothing he did for him would help, the cancer would probably come back. Dave and I both wanted to hear everything single little thing we could do to beat this monster and were grateful he was honest about that. Dave quit cold turkey - and it's been over a year now since his diagnoses and so far he is NED (no evidence of disease).

Unless you are terribly stressed and just can't quit, I would encourage you to. It has to maximize your survival and the effectiveness of treatment.

It was really hard for Dave, I know - but he spent the first week of his diagnoses in the hospital and started his first chemo treatment there and then it was pretty much BAM - totally immersed in treatment - and I think that the difficulty of quitting was sort of mixed in with everything else he was going through. I think it's still hard for him, a year later, but getting easier. And I know he's GLAD he quit.

hang in there and good luck,

Karen C. (David C's wife)

My Onc. told me he would not treat me if I continued to smoke (I quit the day I started chemo) as the chemo didn't work as well if you were still smoking. It was hard and still is hard but I wanted to give myself EVERY chance of the chemo working. The first 3 days are the worst as you start to withdraw but with firm resolve and a little outside help (if needed) you CAN do it!!! Good thoughts and best wishes being sent your way!

God Bless,

MO

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Perhaps whether or not smoking interfers with chemo, depends on the drug used. Each is different.

I would hazard a guess that your doctor was indicating that SCLC is more amenable to chemo and radiation so in a way you had a better chance than having NSCLC. Yes, I know it does sound like double talk but there is an element of logic there.

Try to substitute, as much as you can, other activities for smoking. Have you tried creative imaging (meditating sitting up or lying down visualizing such things as YOUR little monsters hammering the cancer cells to death or your version of God or Fate pouring mystical silver white dust over the cancer cells. This fog gathers up the cancer and sweeps it out of the body. You then can send in fairies to stand guard that no more cancer cells appear.)

When I was doing chemo, well our insurance only allows it in a "clinic", i.e., a large room where nobody knew anyone and we were scrounged together trying not to stare into other people's faces. Anyway, I saw that the drug drip, drip, dripped, with an interval between. I mentally stationed two faeries in the tiny space where it first dripped. As the drip came out it had to get a pass from a faery stating it would only harm bad cells and leave the good cells alone.

I know. I'm strange.

Also, try to cut down to 3 or 4 cigarettes a day or whatever works for you. But I think it a good idea to at least cut down.

Good wishes from the faery sprites, the Fates, all Gods and Goddesses.

bean_si,

You're no stranger than I in my radiation skivvies envisioning the tumor flaking away from the bone like chicken stewing in a pot.

I like the fairies better.

I am at one or two a day, and nicotine gum. It's been four years, and I only lasted 8 months post surgery before a heavy depression had me to where I didn't care if I smoked or not.... and addiction being what it is, this is where I am now.

We all do the best we can.

Prayers,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Guest Jonathan

Hi,

Well, Any oncologist that does not advise a patient with lung cancer to stop smoking immediately is a poor oncologist. Plain and simple! I would also venture to say most oncologists would agree with me. If I were you, i would quit ASAP, to maximize your chances of survival/remission/cure.

As far as a cure for small cell, it is rare, but also, it is always possible and has been seen before. Extensive stage may be more difficult to beat, but again, we have seen it done. There are two different acceptable first line treatment approaches to small cell lung cancer today, and both work well.

However, for extensive stage, one is showing better results in current studies, than the other.

The standard way, or the first way is to use either cisplatin or carboplatin with etoposide (VP-16). This is effective and widely used.

The other newer way that is showing slightly better results (especially with extensive stage) is the cisplain and CPT-11 regimen. Here they take out the etoposide and use CPT-11, a new drug instead.

Each oncologist uses what they think is best, but as far as today the studies are showing that CPT-11 and cisplatin are better.

Good Luck and God Bless you.

Jonathan

Your oncologist may be absolutely right. However, if you have unanswered questions, please seek a second opinion. It will make you more comfortable about your treatments if you fully understand your prognosis. I've been having treatment almost four years now and when I come up with doubts, I get that second opinion before going ahead. Good luck to you.

I love an optimistic oncologist! What you describe IS extensive sclc. What most Dr say is it is not curable BUT!!! there are several who live in 'remissin' or NED (no evidence of disease) I have been in rermission for 1 yr the first time and almost 9 months this time.

I would seek a second opinion tho. It never hurts. Some Dr are much more aggressive than others.

As for the smoking :twisted::twisted::twisted: I have quit and started, quit and started. Everytime the stress gets too much-Oh Well. My oncologist says it is best to quit, it will help with the breathing. Those small cell cancer cells are there and once the barn door is open-well you know what I mean. You will be less short of breath and no smoke smell.

Please ask any question and hopefully someone here can help. PM me if you want.

Cindy

I think my oncologist and nurses are great actually :-) He said one thing at a time about my smoking because he didn't want me to be too stressed out. I just have to wonder if it is working against the chemo treatment tho. I want to quit it just gets stressful with the cancer stuff and the kids (my 16 year old knows everything! and my 13 year old daughter is 13 going on 21 it seems at times hahaha) Soon my mother in law will be here to help relieve some of the burden, my husband has to work so he can't be here as often as we would both like, he is as much as possible tho.

Jane

Hi Jane,

My Mom's oncologist told us that the chemo (carboplatin & VP-16) would work better if she stopped smoking. He also told us that small cell usually comes back at some point. Hope this helps. I always wanted my Mom's onc to tell me everything. God bless...

Lyn