newcomer husband has stageIV lung

char1048

Hello my name is Charolette and my husband was dx on 02-09-04 with adenocarcinoma of the left lung with metes. to brain ,adrenal glands and he has 2 masses on both sides of neck. They say non operable and non cureable he is stageIV. He has had 1 dose of chemo and just finished 3 weeks of radiation on brain will go back to chemo on Monday. He is very tired from the radiation and has a lot of swelling of feet and neck. He said he will not let this beat him. He is 57 and just retired on his last birthday august 6/03. So this came as a big shock to me when he was dx. I lost my father about 10 years ago to small cell lung cancer so I kind of know what is a head for us. We will fight the battle. Thank you This picture was taken at my nephews wedding on MAY 29, 2004

Hi Charlotte,

Welcome! I'm only here for about 2 weeks, so I'm still new, too. I've never joined one of these boards before because I couldn't imagine talking to "strangers", but I am really glad I came here, and am glad you found us. My husband has similar diagnosis and he also became very tired from the brain rad, but didn't have any swelling. You said your husband says he is not going to let this beat him. Our son fell apart when his dad was dx'd, but hubby got right in his face and, like your husband, he told him that he was going to "beat this thing" and he wasn't going to tolerate him acting like he had been given a death sentence. He was quite forceful (as in LOUD), and just wasn't going to tolerate any talk like that. I just LOVE that kind of attitude, don't you?

Again, welcome!

God bless you,

Peggy

Hi Char, I am glad you joined us. It was nice to talk to you in the Wednesday chat.

Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. The treatment is going to be hard on your husband but hopefully the cancer will respond.

Welcome to the wives club.

Rochelle

Welcome Charolette. Sorry you had the need to find us but glad that you did. Come visit us often. We will laugh with you, cry with you or just be there to listen when you need to talk. It was nice chatting with you last night. Keep us updated on the progress of your husband. You will find a lot of people here at stage 4 and are doing well. Take Care.

Bruce

Welcome Charlotte,

I tried to get into chat last night, but my DSL was misbehavin. Couldn't get it to stay online. Maybe next week we can meet in chat. I know you met some pretty awesome people last night, Ry, Lisa, Becky, Debi, Norme, Bruce and I know there were many more. You will find so much support, treatment info. and just caring and loving people here. I canot say enough good about this site. Rick and Katie Brown, Administrators of this site are just awesome. I cannot give them enough recognition. You will come to know them too...

Sorry you have to be here, but this is the place to be if you need the support. i have added you and your hubby to my prayers list and he will beat this, no doubt. Positive attitude, faith and belief in our Lord means so much. Please come here often and let us know how things are going...

Blessings and hugs,

Karen

Sorry for your troubles but welcome. This is a good place. My husband was diagnosed a couple of weeks before yours. The treatment was really tough but he feels much better now. For one, all the pain has stopped and he has gained back his weight, at least for now. Blessings to you and your family.

Margaret

Welcome, Charolette. Glad you have found our little band but so wish you didn't have to be here...

I hope that you can gain the knowledge you will need here, enrich yourself with the experience of others instead of making the same "mistakes" that have happened to some, borrow strength when you need it and lean on the rest of us when the weight of the whole world is pressing down on you.

The biggest thing to remember is to breathe - long, deep breaths. Slow deep breaths...close your eyes and focus on the strength inside you and pull it up when needed. Next big thing is to remember to take care of yourself, too. Make sure you eat, take sanity time away from the cancer and recharge when needed....and when the pressure builds up, make sure you cry to release it. If you keep tamping it down, it WILL come out at the least opportune time for you.

Take care, and hang on for the ride.

Becky

aka Snowflake

Hi this is Charolette and I just want to thank you all for your kind words and your encouragement as I said Rich and I will fight the battle and we will win. We just have to get him through his treatment and he will be fine. Thanks again all will keep you all in our prays, and keep you informed of his progress. -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Billie

Charlotte,

I'm glad you found this site. I've only been here a short time, but i've found I can talk to the people here when I can't anyone else. Let us know how we can help.

Billie

Hi, Charlotte. Glad you found us, though it's always sad to see someone joining this struggle.

Make sure your husband reports all side effects - some meds can be changed. My mom doesn't get the decadron anymore because she hates how it makes her feel. I don't know how many oncs will let a patient drop the decadron, but mom seems to be fine without it.

Hope your husband feels better soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello every one well Rich had second dose of chemo on monday he is feeling a little sick from it and has no energy also developed a rash around his waist area does any one know if that goes with his treatment he is on taxol and carboplatin. He wont let me call the doctor yet he said if it gets worse i can. He goes back in 3 weeks for nexted chemo. If anyone has experinced this please let me know thank you. char

I had carboplatin and taxol - once every three weeks, for four treatments. I didn't have a rash. I'd call the doctor's office about that. I felt miserable beginning the third day after chemo. I used compazine, kytril - the first few days, zofran after I stopped the kytril, and ativan for nausea; percocet for pain. It's really important to take the nausea meds before you need them. I thought it was a miserable experience, altho. I didn't mind the actual time at the oncs. office to get these poisons (about 5-6 hours). It (chemo) is doable, however, and now (5 mo. since last chemo) I feel great.

Was he given benadryl as part of the "cocktail?" If not, maybe that's why he has the rash - or maybe he needs more of it next time. Anyway, I'd let the doctor's office know.

Best wishes to both of you.

Muriel

A rash after taking new meds (in this case chemo) always shouts to me - ALLERGIC REACTION because I am allergic to two medicines that caused a rash. However, I don't know all the chemo side effects, so this could be one and not be an allergic reaction. Like he said, if it gets worse, then I would call the doctor.

Good luck,

Peggy

The first thing you need to do is convince hubby that ANYTHING different is reason to call the Dr. This disease turns us all in to hypochondriacs BUT it is usually needed. If his Dr's are worth anything they will be happy to answer any calls and questions. It does sound like he may have an allergy and should have it checked out.

I am also on Carbol and taxol but I get the taxol every week and the carbo on the 3rd week. So far it has worked well on my lymph nodes (not so good on my liver) but we are sticking with it for now. I always get Tagamet, Benedryl and a steroid prior to my chemo and have not had any nausea or problems from the chemo. I eat like a horse on chemo night from the steroid and I do notice an unusual case of "gas" on the 3rd day after chemo (thank goodness that is Sunday). Other than that I have had few side effects from this combination.

Prayers are with you and your hubby.

God Bless,

MO

My husband has been recently dx'd also with adenocarcinoma, stage IV. I have learned how dreadful those words are but my guy is also committed to doing everything to beat this and keeps talking about all the things he is going to do when he gets this behind him. His conviction is so strong it gives me inspiration. Actually, I find I do much better when I truly turn over my worries about the future to God and stay away from "what if X happens".

I try to do my part to help Wayne by researching all areas of treatment and checking for clinical trials that sound promising - I always have lots of questions for the Oncologist. I also find doing this helps me to feel useful and gives Wayne more assurance that he is being supported in this journey.

Good luck to you and your hubby. I will add you to my prayers.

(I would report a rash to the Dr. Maybe there is something he can take to keep it from getting worse.)

In June of 2002 I had 1 cycle of carbo/Taxol then radiation, hip surgery and then back to chemo. I also developed a rash like you describe after the 2nd chemo. I talked to the onc. about it and they said they didn't think it was related to treatment.

In my case it continued to worsen through cycles 2-3 and then went away. I had a total of 8 cycles at that time and it never returned. I used Aveeno (sp) soap and such to minimize the symptoms and waited patiently for it to go away. I suppose it was some sort of allergic reaction but we never figured it out.

I hope it goes away quickly. Best of luck, Dave S