My mom was diagnosed with Lung Cancer in march

Hi, this is my 1st time on this board, I found out my mom has Lung Cancer (stage 4). Its been so, so hard!! Im so very close to my mom, shes only 58 yrs. old, and so full of life and so much fun....I cant imagine this has even happened to her. Im so scared!! The Dr.'s dont give much hope for cure at all, but I read so much about alternative medicine, etc.

What im confused about is the Dr. is calling it stage 4, but it has not spread out of her chest into a distant organ like the liver, brain, bones, etc., does anyone know much about the staging? Everything I have read sounds like my mom's cancer would be in stage 3. Also, I have 2 girls, ages 7 and 10, that adore and love their Grandma more than anything!! Shes been around them since the day they were born. This is such an awful thing to have happen. I cant imagine her not being here to watch them grow up and get married and have kids (her great grandkids), etc. I would love to talk with anyone on here, support is always helpful, Id love to hear everyones story about their battle with Lung cancer or a family member's!!

HI Chococat, So sorry you have the need to be here , but happy that you found this great board, there are lots of inspirational stories here, and tons and tons of loving caring people who have been where you are at and also where your mother is at.

Just wanted to welcome you here. Sending positive vibes to you and your mother. Take care.

Sorry about your mom. remember there are a number of people here who are long term survivors. So it is not an automatic death sentence

Did it spread to both sides of the lungs? Then it would be stage 4.

You should find out about the histology (cell) type.

They will tell you adenocarcinoma, squamous, etc.

Since it did not spread out of the lungs it could be BAC (a subtype of adeno). This has a tendency to be stay in the lungs.

Find out how many tumors, size, and grade (differentiated/undifferentiated). Maybe RFA (radio frequecy ablation) is a possibility or even a chemo embolism?

Ask about clinical trials, if she is indeed stage 4, before treatment starts. If you start treatment TOO soon, if will affect her choices later. But definitely get answers FAST and push to get treatment soon.

Take care

Thanks everyone!! Its feels good to have your input. I looked up that website above.....and I guess that does make sense now. My mom has already started chemo (Taxotere and Carboplatin), Its been about of month of treatments so far. It must be working because the fluid is not returning and her side pain is pretty much gone!! Still stage 4 is the scariest part!!

I also have her taking a product from the health food store called MGN-3, is anyone else familiar with this product? Its known to boost the immune system, increasing natural killer cell activity, and helps with the side effects of chemo, shes only been on it a week, so hard to tell yet. Again, THANKS EVERYONE for your kind words!!!!!!!! I know I'll be on this board alot!!

Chococat, does the handle mean you like chocolate a lot? My wife is a chocoholic! She has NSCLC, Stage IV, with bone mets, diag. last October. She has gone through chemo/radiation and now chemo. So far, so good. You and your daughters can be a source of strength, comfort, love and joy to your mom through this. Best to you all. Don

I am sorry to hear about your Mom, I just lost my Dad in March from Lung Cancer and I know how hard it is to watch. I was the same as you, I had him on MGN-3 and CQ10 they work great together. I also had him on Coral Calcium and Poly-MVA and that did great also. It was hard for me to give him this stuff all the time because he lived in Texas and I live in PA. I flew down often and made sure that he got all his Herbs and It worked when he had it. You need to go to WWW.polymvasurvivors.com and learn more about how you can help your mother. It is a very informative site and you will learn a lot that you were not aware of before. Coral Calcium is very important, along with the MGN-3 and CQ10. You can go on to the Polymva site to order all the products that you need right from the poly-mva survivors website.

They are great people and will help you anwser any questions that you might have. Remember she will need to take higher doeses than what is on the bottle, I know they can be expensive and you might want to shop around to find better prices. I found Coral Calcium Supreme from (Bob Barefoot) really cheap from P&C distributors (pncdistributors.com) I have my family and friends on Coral Clacium.

I wish that I could of been closer to my dad and make sure that he got everything that he needed and I know that I would still have him today. Remember NEVER give up!

I wish you all the luck in the world!

Melissa

Hi chococat,

Welcome to our lung cancer survivor family. I am truly sorry about your mom. Cancer SUCKS!

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been stated by others. Just that we are here for you any time you need to vent, cry, celebrate, are scared, need prayers and good vibes. Keep thinking positive, there are survivors out there that beat the damn LC, and your mom could be one of them. I know that the staging IV is very scarey, my husband is a stage IV, but if your mom's cancer is centrally located, that is generally condusive to a better prognosis.

I will be praying for you,

Carleen

Hi Chococat,

You have found a great site to get support, hope and answers. My mom was also diagnosed in March and I felt like my world came to a stop. My daughter just turned one and I can't imagine my mom not being around to see her grow. My mom is my best friend, I see her everyday and now knowing she has to deal with this disease seems so cruel to me. My mom is undergoing chemo/radiation and we have her going in for a second opinion this week. I have realized there is hope and I make sure to enjoy everyday with her. Your mom will be in my prayers!!! Andrea

I dont know what to say, except THANKS AGAIN, I enjoy reading your posts!! Im sure I have a long, rough road ahead of me, even if my mom's a survivor, there will be many challenges ahead, it all get so confusing!! All the different info. out there, I just want to try it ALL, but have to narrow it down.

I do have my mom taking coral calcium and MGN-3 and a good multi vitamin, etc. Im looking into other things as well. How much coral calcium would be safe?? Being that it has quite a bit of vitamin D....I know vit. D is very toxic if consumed in large amounts.

I would check with a nutritionist on the amount of coral calcium, and any other suppliments your mom is taking.

The oncology ward in the hospital my husband is going to has a nutritionist on staff, you may want to check if yours has one.

The reason I say to check with a nutritionist that is very familiar with cancer and chemo therapy is that some vitamins can actually hinder the absorbtion of chemo drugs and therefore you may lose some of the benefits. Make sure her doctors know everything she is taking and how much. Then, you can ask what they would consider the maximum dosage recommendation.

God Bless,

Carleen

I ditto Carleen's message. Nothing natural or artificial put in the body, except maybe water, has all good effects. All have some side effects, especially possible interaction with other meds, etc. I say this as a retired research chemist. I am real anxious when people take stuff without knowing the full effect of them. I have also been to presentations where the speakers talk about interactions. For instance, grapefruit negates some heart medicines. So do find out the total story on these things, and don't rely on the person selling it to you to be unbiased. Don

Hey Chococat-

I sent you an personal message again. I don't have your email address with me here (it's on my work email). My mom might come up to Sacramento to get treatment and wanted to ask a little more about your mom's doctors and treatments. More detail on email.

Let's keep positive!!! We are going to help our mom's beat this thing!

Natalie