Iressa & Cytoxan

I don't want to scare anyone but I feel I need to put this information out there so others are aware.

I know there are many on this board who have done well on Iressa. My husband is not one of them. He was in that small percentage that developed interstitial lung disease from it. The inflammation took hold of his good lung and ruined it. He is still on 4 liters of O2 at rest, more if he exerts at all. He was started on Cytoxan (along with prednisone which he'd been taken) to stop the inflammation from continuing. It did do that but the damage to the lung had already been done. He has now been diagnosed with bladder cancer which is a possible side effect of Cytoxan use. But no one told us. My husband was just told to keep up his fluid intake so that he wouldn't get a bladder or urinary tract infection.

Again, I don't want to strike fear in anyone. I just want others to be aware of potential side effects no matter how small the percentage is of experiencing them.

Chrissy,

I am so sorry about your husbands horrible affects from the Iressa and Cytoxan. It was so unselfish of you to post this to warn others. Your family will be in my prayers. There are others who have had the lung complication from the Iressa. The more warnings to take breathing complications seriously, the better.

Thank you and good luck.

Lisa

I am so sorry to hear the news. Thanks for your unselfishness in warning us all about it. If Dr's would just be more straight forward!!!! Kiss each other for me and I am saying a prayer for you both right now and will continue to do so. {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

The chance of ILD is supposed to be around 1%. If you have had chemo or radiation [boldI[/bold] would be more cautious with Iressa.

Iressa works best with BAC, females and non-smokers.

It works in about 15% of the people.

So since it only works in 15% and 1% may get ILD, it is important to weigh the odds.

I guess the same thing has to be considered with other treatments. What is the quality of life. For which patients does the threatment work best?

Lab tests and animal models are used to initially test drugs. While they arent ideal they are still used. Why cant more chemosensitivity testing be done? If may not be ideal but it provides some information.

It is hard to decide, but no choice is really wrong.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. They brought tears to my eyes. My husband and I continually say that even though we have to live with this horrible disease, that because of it we've met many, many wonderful people such as everyone on this board. Thank you.

Chrissy, I just got out of the hospital this last monday after spending 8 days there for a pnuemonia, I couldn't pin the resident down to say that it was caused by Iressa, although they stopped my iressa while in the hospital, and I'm still off it pending an appointment with my ocologist this afternoon, I have had pnuemonia more then several times, this last time I was sicker then I've ever been and took a lot longer to bounce back. Personally I think it was the Iressa, (but I'm not a doc) will have to see what onc says today, not sure I'm willing to go back on it as the "rash' has taken over my head , face and chest .

Thank you so much for posting about your husband.

Guest Phyllis

I am also sorry your husband is so sick from those drugs. My oncologist had mentioned to me a Tarceva clinical trial, but it would not have been for me anyway as he said if Iressa did not work on an individual Tarceva would not either. I am just wondering if Tarceva is going to be the same type of drug as Iressa but maybe without the side effects. Once again I am very sorry about your husband.