2 years with no cigarettes

David A

Today is about the 2 year anniversary of when I had my last cig. I must say the 1st year was a struggle at times, but last october(03) when there was more cancer found, it became much easier, not many cravings, in fact the smell of cigarette smoke repluses me and makes my breathing more labored, I've also become more vocal when people are smoking in the parking structure of the local cancer center(which is prohibited), I need all the clean air I can get. In a way I've become a militant ex-smoker much like my sister. I figure if I can quit anyone can as I was a 2 plus pack a day smoker,and usually smoked heavy nicotine cigs like Winston and Camel filters. Anyone struggling with this strong addiction, don't quit quitting, I tried several(30+) times, one time it will it take.

I hate when I see young teens smoking, thats seems when nicotine addicts us most, thats when it got me, smoking is the one thing I would change in my life if I could, but hind site is 20/20.

Sorry bout the rant!

Guest Billie

Congratulations David !!!!

I think only us former smokers know what a feat you have accomplished. I am only at the 2 1/2 month mark, so am still struggling. The cravings are gone, but I still want one every day. And when I have a particularly stressful day .......Oh boy! do I want a cig.

So, "Way to Go" David. I am so happy for you.

Billie

David, I am just over 10 months and I also have become one of those militant ex smokers. I have to go in to the hospital every day for a shot and I always walk through a cloud of smoke from people smoking in and area that is clearly marked NO SMOKING. I have made several comments to them and also to the security guard on duty. He usually goes out and ask's them to move. What I REALLY hate is seeing a group of Doctors and Nurses standing in the smoking area having a cig!!

I do agree that quitting is one of the hardest things I have ever done and I thank God for giving me the strengh and conviction to see another day through without a cig.

God Bless,

MO

Way to go DavidA.,It's been a year for me so I know how hard it is to quit.However once in awhile I cheat(chew tobacco) when it gets like Iwant a smoke real bad but very seldom that happens anymore.Glad your up and around,mabe you can keep the chat ladies in check now.I can't type fast enough to do that.

GOOD JOB-NO SMOKES

FRANK L.

Good job, David. Quitting was the hardest thing I have ever done. That was one of the reasons I never started back as I didn't think I would be able to quit again. I quit 12 years before diagnosis, so 16 years now. I chewed the nicorette gum for a year but it kept me from smoking - now I can't stand the smell of it. Congratulations to you - keep up the good work!

Hugs,

Nancy B

Congratulations David.

I was like you I started early. When I was 15 I was smoking Camel, & Lucky Strikes. When I could not afford cigarettes, I rolled my own. I Quit Six years ago on Rochelle's birthday. It was a present to both of us. Also note Jillian was conceived right about the same time, give or take a few days. So we were rewarded in many ways.

For those of you that have not quit. Keep on quitting. I know I tried, it seems well over a 100 times from the time I started. I smoked 32 years. I remember trying to quit in High School. I said then "Oh I can quit any time." I knew I was wrong even then. If anybody needs information on how I quit PM me.

When I was on chemo treatments my sense of smell was really heighted. I could smell that crap coming from cars traveling ahead of me on the expressway. I still do not like the smell at all. I have to hold my breath when I pass a group of people smoking out front of a building. It makes me cough.

When I see young people smoke, I always think boy if you knew what I have and been going through you would spit that thing out of your mouth.

I feel really bad that my selfishness, very well could have brought this horrible disease to my family.

Keep up the great work David.

Way to go David. I too smoked 2 packs a day for 35 years. I was wanting to quit cause we were buying another house and I did not want to make it smell. I went from 2 1/2 packs to 1/2 pack for a week or so but when I was dx I left my Dr office and lit one in the car. That 1/2 pack went to ZERO fast. I quit cold turkey on dx. Sure I want one now and then but I know I would not stop at one.

People ask how I quit. I look at them and say ...Simple. I looked at a 2001 x-ray and a 2003 x-ray side by side and saw the difference. I looked at a big white spot which was called CANCER. They reply did the spot go away? I reply...YES and SO DID ONE OF MY LUNGS.

Wish I could share this with teens today. Anyway, congragulations and stay SMOKE FREE.

Bruce

Wonderful that you have been smoke-free for 2 years! Keep it up! And all the other former smokers who posted, too!

I have a brother who continues to smoke. His smoking certainly doesn't make me love him any less, but my heart seizes up with fear for him every time he excuses himself to go outside and whenever I hear him cough. But quitting has to be his decision. One of my older sisters also smoked for several years, but quit about 15 years ago. Seems to be healthy as a horse. The odd thing is that I never smoked, and I'm the one with LC!! :shock: No idea what caused it, but I tell myself it might have been worse if I had smoked. Who knows? It's a moot question.

Let's all keep waking up each day and blessing the fact that we can draw another breath and be here for each other.

David,

Congratulations on the 2 year mark!! Who would have known, huh? There was a time when I could not imagine life without cigarettes. I haven't gotten to the point where I am militant, but at least I can get through each day - sometimes an hour at a time- but I get through it! :wink:

David,

This is great David, smoke free for two years. A huge Congratulations and also congrats to the rest of you, what an accomplishment. Isn't it a wonderful feeling and we don't smell like nasty cigarettes and we're trying to breathe the cleanest air we can. It's amazing when you quit and you smell other people's cigarette smoke, I can actually smell the chemicals from the paper and the tobacco. This is maybe just me, but the smell is so repulsive and disgusting. I too smoked for 35 years, 1-2 packs per day. I had never ceased to quit or even tried. I would panic that I was running out of cigs. I would always make sure I didn't run out. It was an obsession. I really enjoyed smoking and had no desire to quit.

My stepmom in 1999 passed from LC. Very quickly, dx'd in Aug 1998 and passed Jan. 1999. It didn't even sink in then and I didn't even think of getting an x-ray for me or think I needed it. I didn't associate LC and cigs. I wasn't really paying attention. My father had emphysema (sp?). How sad for my family an myself. In Dec. 1998, I developed the worst case of brochitis that I had ever had in my life. My doctor didn't even do an x-ray then and I didn't think of asking for one. Maybe if I had, this LC may have been caught earlier. There again a doctor not doing his job, he knew I was a smoker and should have ordered a simple x-ray. It took me almost 3 months to get better and get my strength back. It really knocked me for a loop....

On January 10th, 2003 went to the doctor for chest x-ray results and he asks me does LC run in your family. I said no, he says well we have a serious problem here. I went in a smoker and walked out a nonsmoker. I have not touched one since and have no desire to ever smoke again. I am also a militant against smoking. Especially with young people. Thank goodness in my family, the kids on my hubby's side of family and on mine, do NOT smoke. I am just trying to get my SIL and BIL to quit. Smokers for years, SIL just started Wellbutrin to quit. BIL ???? Praying each day for the best. I have to give all credit to my Lord, Jesus for me quitting. I didn't have the strength to quit. He is always there for me... :D

Blessings,

Karen