Prayers Needed!

Guest KellyB

Guest KellyB

Hi everyone, I hope I can count on some prayers and words of hope. My Dad was once again admitted to the hospital today for shortness of breath and heart arythmia. This is the third time in as many months. He has gotten so bad these past few months it is heart wrenching. He was released form the hospital about 4 weeks ago with the hopes that the Iressa would help him. The doctors tell us that his lungs are just so bad (he has severe copd) that now they are staring to put a strain on his heart. He has never had heart problems before. His onc says he won't give up on him, but this disease is so horrible, I do not know what could possibly get better? We have seen him go totally on O2 24/7, nebulizer every 4 hours, bipac machine during the night and he has been housebound for 90+days.

My Dad is a big guy with a bigger heart and I feel him slowly slipping away from our lives. His family is the most important thing in the world to him, I try so hard to be strong and I feel myself collapsing inside. How will my 3 girls loose their beloved Grandpa...My husband's Dad died of cancer in 1994 when I was pregnant with my first, now they will have no grandparents except my Mom.. That single aspect is what eats me alive everyday. I know it sounds horrible but I feel like my kids deserve a full life with 4 grandparents and I am angry that they have been short changed...I know I am rambling I am sorry, I have seen several people on this site pass away the past few weeks, Becky, Judy... I have been following their stories for a long time.....Life is so unfair ...I need to go to the hospital ...Thank you all as always for listening I will try to update soon

Kel

I am so sorry Kelly that you and your family have to go through this. I hate this disease. I am praying for you and your Dad. I know, I lost my wonderful father on March 21, 2004. He was my daughter's only Grandfather, as her biological father has no part in her life nor does his family. So we are both fatherless and it is heartbreaking to me that she got short changed. That is what hurts the most and it hurt my father too the last 2 weeks of his life, he was so upset saying how my daughter was getting cheated. I hope your Dad pulls out of this and turns around somehow. If you need to talk, PM me.

Karen

Kelly, I am so sorry that this is all happening, but it is wonderful that your fathers doctor won't give up on him, he sounds much like MY dads oncologist. Prayers are being sent, and let us know how things are going.

Where on Long Island are you? I am from Long Island, too, West Islip. Take care, and if you need anything please feel free to PM or e-mail me. Deb

Hi, Kel. Sorry about your dad. The arythmia in the heart can be caused by the lung cancer and treatment. My wife had a minor case of it and now takes medication for it. I send prayers your way.

As for grandparents, it would be nice if we all had 4, but life doesn't always provide that. I had none, my children only had 1 (my mother-in-law), and we all did just fine. Unfortunately, life isn't perfect, but we can rise to the occasion of what we get and do our best with it. I wish your dad well in the coming days. Don

Guest KellyB

Thank you all so much for your replies, it is so nice to feel that a whole group of people understand what I am going through. By about 10:30pm last night my Dad was admitted and totally stabalized, It turns out that a potassium rx was not right for his heart(he was taking it to counteract a diheretic) (spelling?) He is on so many damn rx it is no wonder. I knew something was wrong when he complained of indigestion and heartburn within 2 days of starting it. He had such a wonderful nurse last night and when we left at midnight he was comfortable and sitting up eating and joking. I love my Dad so much and he had everyone in the hospital cracking up with his jokes and poking fun at himself. You are allwonderful and I feel like I know you personally. I know he is still in a bad way but I always hope. At one point he started to cry feeling guilty for putting my Mom and sisters and me thru this. I can't even imagine how scared he must be..... Thank you all as always I am praying and hoping for all....

Kelly

Kelly, I'm so happy to hear your dad is doing better. Isn't it a wonderful feeling when they've been so bad to see them sitting up, eating and joking. I had that happy feeling lately with my own dad. I hope he gets better and better every day.

Blessings to you and your beautiful family.

Peggy

Its so hard for all of us here, caregivers and those with cancer. :cry:

Your dad sounds like a wonderful and brave man. I lost my dad 8 years ago and I still miss him so bad. Our dad's are our first heros in life. Its hard to see them get sick when we always thought of them as strong and fearless protectors. I am so sorry for your children too. Just give them as many good time with grandpa as you can. God bless and take care of your children's mom! :wink:

Kelly, glad to hear your dad is improving.

Hang in there - sounds like your dad and his onc are prepared to fight hard.

My dad's mother died when he was 13, and his father died when I was a toddler. So I had only my mother's parents as grandparents, and my grandpa died when I was 8. But we have always been close to my mother's aunt and uncle, and they were always like grandparents for me. If anything had happened to my parents when I was young, they would have raised me.

Close family is wonderful, even if you can't have grandparents. Just do the best you can, and love your children.

Dear Kelly,

I am so very sorry your dad is not feeling well (though sounds like it will help getting the rx's straightened out). I know that you are experiencing a downturn in your dad's health, but through my experience things can change upward again instantly. My mom was given days and she came back and survived another 4 months. My mom never gave up hope and I couldn't give up either.

I also send you big hugs, because my heart aches for you and your pain over the thought of your daughters losing their precious grandpa. My heart breaks everyday for my daughter, who will never get to see her grandma again. Life isn't fair and I am trying to figure out the whys now. So much of my grief is centered around what my daughter is missing. I was lucky to have my mom for 32 years. Please know I understand and feel free to PM me anytime if you need to talk.

Hugs,

Andrea B.