anyone have bad reaction to etoposide?

hobored

my husband did great with 1st round of chemo but reacted pretty severely to etoposide this time....high heart rate, could not breathe, and high blood pressure...no problem other 2 days...lots of steroids ahead of time.

if you had a reaction one time did you have it again?

thank you so much!

I also had mild symptoms as you decribed, But, at that time for me it was difficult to tell the difference between a bad reaction or anxiety. I also had cisplatin along with the etopicide. I did feel a bit wheezy and that did get better. Hope this helps some. Good luck with your treatments & there is positive energy headed your way.

Rachel

my dad had the high heart rate while he was on this chemo with Cisplatin/Carbo. His heart rate was obviously high but after few days, it returned to normal. I had told the oncologists but they said they didn't hear about from other patients.

What did your oncologist say about this?

My sister receives etoposide & carboplatin & she's also given dexamethasone (a steroid) IV with each chemo tx. because her oncologist told her that many people have allergic reactions to these chemotherapy drugs. I also know from personal experience that steroid tx. can cause shortness of breath, anxiety, increased heart rate. I hope this helps a little....there just seem to be so may things that happen to the body from the chemotherapy.

Guest SoniaD

My Mom had the same reaction. They pre-medicated her with steroids and benadryl but that didn't cut it. They ended up giving her something to relax her because they thought it might be anxiety and it worked.

I too had some sort of reaction with my first round, I believe it was from the chemo but not really positive all I know is I thought I was having a heart attack my heart was racing and my chest seemed to have pressure also my arm felt somewhat numb and tingly, they did an EKG and all was ok and a chest xray to make sure nothing had changed inside. It was probably anxiety for me I'm thinking. This time around with the chemo I got shingles... very painful stuff.

Jane