Back from Florida

TBone

Hi everybody,

We got back from Florida yesterday and had a great time.The fishing trip was fun but we didn't catch a whole bunch.It was both my sons first attempt at fishing in 150 feet of water.They learned a lot and we will be going back.I think we came back with about 40 lbs of grouper and snapper filet which will make for a couple of good fish frys.

I am going to my radiation oncologist today to see if he can do something about this terrible leg pain.I sure hope that he can because nothing I have tried will stop it.Tomorrow I go to another doctor to get my chemo port.Can someone tell me what is involved in this procedure.How long does it take and where do they put it?I have no clue.Thanks for any info.Praying for us all.TBone

Welcome back T-Bone!! It must have been awesome fishing with your boys!! I really hope they get that leg pain under control - AND FAST for you.

I can't answer personally about the port, but I have heard very good things about it. I am sure many experienced people will be mosying along. :D

Welcome back, TBone! So glad you had a great time with your boys. You all needed that, regardless of the fish count. Lucie has a port -- it is put in under the skin just below the collar bone and above the breast -- at least, that is where hers is. It is out-patient and you will be home fairly quickly. You have to watch for infection once it is put in -- like burning, or redness or heat in the area. You have to be sure the attendant who uses it in the future always washes it with saline and heparin after use to keep it clean and flowing. Good luck on that and the radiation -- when Lucie has had radiation for pain, it has worked. Don

Welcome back, TBone,

Mine (Portacath) is under the skin on the left side about 3 inches below the collar bone and going to the left internal jugular. Most people's are put in on the right side, or in the arm. If you are having a Pic-Line then maybe Ry can tell you about her's.

Glad you guys had a good time fishing. Where are your sisters? They've been pretty quiet since you went to Florida. Hope all is well with your group.

Hoping that the docs can rid you of the leg pain very soon.

Tbone,

I have mets to both femurs, sternum and pelvic bone. Went through 15 rounds of radiation. The radiation took away the pain, but I must warn you, the pain got worse on my pelvic bone before it got better. Something to do with the position of the tumor and swelling of the adjoining good tissue.

The good news is, I am virtually pain free in the areas that were radiated, just a little occasional soreness. Bad news is, dependent upon where the tumor is, radiation in this area can effect the rectum, just as radiation to the lung can effect the esophagus. Rather unpleasant, but worth the pain-free results.

Good luck

Jerrye

Hey T-Bone! Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit down here in my neck of the woods. Wow...Grouper AND Snapper! You got yourself some great eating fish there. Dennis used to do lots of fishing here and always kept us stocked with fish. I enjoyed fishing with him but haven't been at all since I lost him. But...I'm beginning to do more things again that I used to enjoy so ...who knows? That Snapper sounds really tempting!!! Dennis had a port installed and had very good luck with it. I was really glad he chose to have the port rather that all the "sticks and pricks." My heart used to really go out to some of the patients in the chemo rooms at MD Anderson who did not have a port. I've seen some really gruesome things their when nurses were trying to get IV's going without ports! I'm sure you will be very glad you have the port! Welcome back ...you've been missed!!!!

TBone

Glad you had fun on your vacation.

I have had my port in two years in mid June. Most of the people above covered a lot about ports. Hear are a few things that were not covered.

They can be on either side. Mine is on the left because they were doing radiation to the rt side and did not want to cover my rt lung.

It is about the size of a 50 cent piece and has a tail that goes all the way to close to the heart. This way the chemo can mix with more blood sooner. Thus not doing damage to the vein or artery.

Ask for a cream that dulls the skin over the port when they insert the needle to give you the chemo. The cream is applied one hour before your appointment. I wet the area around the port. Apply the cream. Then put a small piece of saran wrap over the port and cream. Some people use a Band-Aid put that side of my chest has hair. I use one called Lidocaine and Prilocaine. They did not tell me about the cream on my first visit and about went through the roof when they inserted the needle in to the port. :shock:

I have to go every 5 weeks to have my port flushed, since they have not accessed it regularly.

Lastly they told me no lifting. They did not say for how long. I milked it for as long as I could. :lol:

John M.

Thanks for all the info.Fay-- as far as my sisters they are here and wide open.They have been busy putting together our family booth for this community's annual Relay for Life.They have all kinds of plans.Renting a big tent.Selling homeade ice cream and have a logo of I scream for a cure.They have already collected a lot of money.Since I am back I am sure that they will be back on here soon.They were also pretty upset about the recent deaths on here as I was.Praying for us all.TBone

Just to add, no swimming either. :cry: Also, they will probably give you a blood thinner to prevent a blood clot from the port. John takes a small dose of cumadin. If they don't give you one, ask about it. This is much better than the IV's.

Tbone,

Glad to see you back, don't know a thing about fishing, so your catch sounded great to me.

The cream John mentioned is Elma - it is an RX but really worth it. Earl can't feel anything when they use it. He got chemo there and now they put in the dye for contrast and take blood.

He gets it flushed every month if not being used.

Hope you get that leg pain under control.

Ginny

Hey TBone,

Glad you all had a good time.

I've had my port for almost four years. I never had cream for it. No one ever said no swimming .(Should I have asked?) Beats the heck out of getting needles and catheters into veins that are in bad shape and getting worse. I kind of figure if I have it out now, MURPHY will STRIKE. Besides, having it removed is yet ANOTHER ELECTIVE surgery, and if it's ELECTIVE, it isn't for me right now.

Good luck to the clan for your Relay. Sounds like a true clan project.

Hang tough, TBone, God's grace is with you, and miracles do happen. There are enough of us here who are amazed to be breathing, never mind functional ( LIKE ME ). Keeping you and yours in my prayers,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Yes, we're all around, but as TBone mentioned, we've been busy. Personally, between projects at my older daughter's elementary school and my younger daughter's preschool, I had WAY too many balls in the air last week. I think I do this to myself to keep my mind busy and OFF this cancer monster! And besides - I knew TBone was having a good time at the beach, so I was able to get some other stuff done.

I posted a long message earlier today under the General forum regarding our family's plans for the aforementioned Relay for Life event in our hometown. Y'all oughta just come on down and join us!!

Blessings,

TeeTaa

Guest Billie

Tbone,

Sounds like a fun vacation. Really glad you went and had such a great time with the family. I hope they can clear up the leg problem soon. Let us know how it goes.

Billie

TBone & Family, nice to hear from you. I'm glad you had a great vacation. Hope the leg pain gets under control real soon.

I know David had a port, and most of the kids with cancer that I know of have them, too -- Must be a "good thing." (Did I really say that?) Also, I've had the Emla cream, myself, for anothe procedure, and highly recommend it. Like Mr. Ry said, the first time I had the procedure done, no one had mentioned the possibility of numbing me and I "went through the roof" too. So the next time and from then on, I got Emla cream, and it was like a dream. Just have to remember to get the prescription and put it on an hour prior, so it works.

I'll be rooting for you at the Relay for Life -- Wish I could be there in person!

BeckyCW