Carol Burnett

Guest Jonathan

Guest Jonathan

Does anyone know why te hell Carol Burnett does not advocate and rally for lung cancer? Her daughter died very quickly from it!

Guest Estrea

The really horrible thing is that she has a blame the victim mentality...she said her daughter asked her if she would "forgive her for smoking." AND SHE IS NOT THE ONLY CELEBRITY/FAMILY MEMBER AFFECTED BY THIS DISEASE WHO WON'T DO ANYTHING FOR IT:

- George Harrison's wife

- Donna Karan's husband died of it

- Joel Siegel was diagnosed with Stage I

- Ted Kennedy's daughter

- Jason Robards died of LC

...the list goes on and on. In fact, most people don't want to acknowledge their family member even had it because of the stigma. It is worse than AIDS.

Reading about the lack of backing for lung cancer has me very upset. That people who had lost loved ones to this won't help is totally beyond me. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT AT ALL. on one site (i forget which one) there were celebrity spokespeople (Christie Turlington - father died of lc, S. Epatha Merkeson from Law and order, was another) but really very few and far between support us. I do remember the tv commercial that Yul Brenner made, pleading with people not to smoke, that he was dying from it - and he did! also i read on a web site an interview with a top cancer doctor and they asked him how many cigarettes do you have to smoke before you're at risk for lung cancer - the answer - ONE. Only ONE.well, over my short lifetime (turned 50 last sunday) i have smoked thousands and have dug my own grave. if the words of that dr. could be put on tv, and in every magazine that advertises cigarettes, and on every rock and roll CD produced, maybe another 15 year old wouldn't try a cigarette like i did. maybe if movie stars that boast about having rooms in their mansions redesigned to be humadors for their $200 cigars, then smoking wouldn't be glamorous (Mr. Schwarzenegger, Mr. Stalone, Mr. Willis, you listening?) Smoking one cigar is the equivalent of smoking 4 cigarettes. Mr. Perelman, did he even answer the letters sent to him? In an earlier posting, i gave my opinion about why tobacco products are still sold to the public. I still stand by that opinion; they deliberately hooked me. they doomed me right from the start. what is the purpose of stopping? someone tell me. i'm gonna die anyway :cry:

It is hard to understand the "You Asked for it" Attitude of the majority. I tell about my father-in-law and the 1st thing asked is "HOW LONG DID HE SMOKE"

We all know that a % of people with Lung Cancer did not smoke at all, however for the ones that did or do it is irritating.

Extreme sports atheletes

-that jump off mountains/cliffs

-race car drivers that crash into the wall and

-Sky Divers

-and so on

all were warned of the dangers of what they are doing and chose to do it

and the public mourns each of them when they pass away, but smoking, not in your life.

i just want to smack people when that question arises but hold back and give them the same lecture each time about stats etc.

is BUFU (Guest User) serious??? I hope not i am hoping it was a joke.. eh if so I am sure one day will maybe find out that it is NOT just a smokers disease...

but hey i mean it takes a real winner to log on to a board for lung cancer and try to harass people....hey buddy i think you should maybe look into the meaning of my name....cause it is a witch! :D

I know our guest "BUFU (Guest User)" is ignorant. I hope he stays with us and gets educated. :roll: Here we are trying our hardest to survive, and people tell us we tried to kill ourselves. That does not make sense. Because it is well known that polutents particularly smoke causes lung cancer, he thinks we all smoked, not true. He thinks by his statement that smoking is the only polutent that causes lung cancer, not true. Many of us were led to believe that if we quit smoking, even years ago, that we were not at risk for lung cancer, not true. :roll: If we ever smoked, that is history. We are fighting for our lives and don't need to have to spend our energy defending ourselves from that type of attitude. If he stays , he'll find we are great people, neighbors, friends, relatives, teacher, nurses, priests, ministers, doctors, bankers, moms, dads, sisters, brothers, daughters,sons, good people.

MY MOMS CANCER WAS FROM ASBESTOS NOT SMOKING. geez I guess I should damn her to hell for going to work all those years in that building that was insulated with asbestos. DAMN her for trying to make a living and put food on out table and keep a roof over our heads. Yeah she did deserve lung cancer dufus, i mean BUFU (Guest User). Maybe I should just go home and shoot her huh.

• 4 weeks later...

Shelliemac you do have a way with words girl!! Bravo!!!

Believe me had I known 30yrs ago that at age 50 I would be here I would have changed my ways. Yes, I want to see my grandchildren grow up. Yes, I want to grow old with my husband. I want to retire and enjoy what I have worked for all these years. But back then the only warning was for pregnant women and then well like so many I just couldn't see the forest for the trees. I am not a bad person. I smoked. That is not the only bad choice I even made in life. So I will keep on keeping on and hope God is on my side and I have the grace to finish my life in style with his help.

Joanie,

The reason we should stop smoking is simple. We stand a better chance of long term survivorship if we stop. If we continue to smoke it impacts how we respond to treatment, and even determines what treatments will be made available to us. You don't deserve this... none of us do. Best Wishes, Fay A.

Guest DaveG

Folks:

I'm feeling great. I'm high right now, as I don't get my next chemo until Tuesday, June 17.

I have gone through and I have read all the comments, now it's my turn. I'll warn you, I'm pulling out all the stops, as this is one issue I am very, very sensitive about.

As most of you are aware, Estrea sent a mass email requesting help in getting local chapters of LCSC established throughout the US. I back Estrea 1000%, not 100%, 1000%. This is exactly how the Breast Cancer movement got started - small groups throughout the US, then combined into a national movement that has grown by 10,000's and is now the strongest cancer movement in the US. MY DREAM IS TO EXCEED THE NUMBER AFFILIATED WITH BREAST CANCER.

We CAN do this, as we have more people diagnosed each year with lung cancer than those with breast cancer. We are short on survivors, but I believe we can talk louder than they can. We have much more at stake. We are losing far too many, each year, to lung cancer, and this has to STOP :!::!::!::!:

Today, was the meeting of the Lung Cancer Support Group, affiliated with the University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, where Dr. Schiller is located. I am going to quote Dr. Joan Schiller, in what she told me just two weeks ago:

"We have to get the word out about lung cancer. We have gone far too long and the death rate has to stop. We need groups, actively pursuing lung cancer awareness and research, throughout the entire country. We must take a stand and it must start NOW :!::!::!: "

Opportunity is knocking at our door. We cannot wait any longer. The time is now :!::!::!:

What does it take? Meet with the social workers at your local hospital, cancer center, or State University Medical Center. Tell them what you want to do - tell them, don't sugar coat it. Make it well known that the time is now. Talk to your local newspaper, get a public service announcement with a contact phone number, and that you are interested in forming a group for Lung Cancer.

As I look over the membership list, we now have represeantation from almost all of the Continental 48 States. Look over the membership list and send a private message, or email to others within your state, Don't be shy about this, because now is not the time to be shy. THIS CAN BE DONE

None of us deserved lung cancer. None of us deserved having a family member, or friend, with lung cancer. None of us deserved losing a family member, or friend, to lung cancer. It doesn't matter whether we smoked or didn't smoke - that is no longer the issue. The issue is: LUNG CANCER IS THE NUMBER ONE HEALTH ISSUE IN THE UNITED STATES TODAY AND THIS HAS TO STOP :!::!::!:

And it has to stop NOW :!::!: Not tomorrow, not next week, not next month, not next year, but TODAY :!::!::!:

That's the end of where I stand on this issue. My stance will not change.

I have no idea why Dave, but your post made me cry..I keep thinking about doing something..I am not very aggressive and just dont know where or how to start..I get overwhelmed with this whole thing, but I really do want to help I think I just need a shove...

Guest SusanIs99

When my mom was dx'ed in '97, all they kept harping on was DID she smoke, DID she come in contact with second hand smoke? She quit smoking about 15 years earlier at that point and had minimal contact with second-hand smoke. The attitude was- you asked for it. That sucks. Rickey said it so well- others who do more dangerous things are mourned when something happens to them, but smokers, well, forget it. I have always disliked doctors with their holier-than-thou attitude, now I hate them.

And yes, I smoke, about 2 packs a WEEK max and I don't intend to stop.