"cancer wasting' weight loss

Lee-Anne

Hello,

My father continues to lose weight no matter what he eats. The nurse and the doctor...we don't have an onc because Dad isn't taking chemo, say that this is normal, just part of the cancer process, without investigating or offering solutions. High calorie drinks don't help...they are actually mostly sugar anyway. Has anyone else been through this? He has gone from 204 to 164 in 5 months and continues to lose muscle mass as well as weight. He has no energy at all and feels frail. I would like to talk to anyone else who knows about this.

Thanks

Some people here have suggested body builder drinks, like weight gain 1000. They have around 1000 calories per drink.

My mom drank it for a while, not sure of the exact brand but it didn't have the bad aftertaste like some of the protien drinks do.

These drinks dont have much sugar and are fortified with vitamins and minerals

I don't know if this will help you but; My husband went from 240lbs. down to 170lbs. in a very short period of time. His onc. put him on megace which drastically increased his appetite and now he is back up to 194lbs. I would ask my doctor about this medicine.

My sister was also put on an "appetite enhancement" drug - she couldn't stop eating! She actually ate an entire pie one day!

Seriously, the weight loss has to be addressed. Although I know it's a classic sign of cancer progression - the body can't fight if it's suffering from malnutrition.

My weight gain suggestion would be giving him some "Prosure". This is made by the ensure folks...but is specifically for cancer patients who are dealing with weight loss. A small can gives a pretty large amount of calories...many carbs and proteins. (the good stuff!) My husband had lost 30# during the first few months post-diagnosis. He became very focused on gaining the weight back. He suggests using whole milk only...you can then fortify the milk with powdered milk. He also suggests making milkshakes using the prosure, fortified milk, ice cream and fruit. A tasty treat with major calories.

Here is the website you can order the Prosure from:

www.prosure.com

Ask your radiation nurse for samples....I believe it comes in banana and vanilla.

Hi Lee-Anne

When my mom was diagnosed and before she started treatment I know she was quickly losing weight even though she was still eating. We were told that it was the cancer taking up all the nutrients & such in what she was eating. She's very petite to begin with so she really couldn't afford to lose much more. We found that once she started chemo she was able to put some weight back on & hold her own. She only weighs about 107 lbs but she's always been like that. We started her on one of those weight lifting proteins drinks, (Mass 2000 or something like that) and each day she makes up a batch and adds some ensure, ice cream etc., and drinks about 3-4 glasses everyday. Like I said she keeping the weight on so it seems to be working. Hope this helps you.

Guest N LUND

Go to your library and get the book Beating Cancer With Nutrition by Patrick Quillin. He has a chapter in his book that deals with fighting malnutrition and fighting the wasting from cancer by telling you the exact things to eat. Please read this part of his book. He explains the best way to keep your body's weight up through fighting cancer and during chemo, so your body will still have the strength it needs to fight the cancer.

Hello Lee Anne,I have been battling severe weight loss as well since my diagnosis.The biggest thing is my appetite.I dont have one now it seems and the teaste of some foods and smells are nauseating to be quite honest.I found the answer to my problem right here.Katie metioned Megace and that is what i asked my Dr. for.Wow just as Katie said i have never felt like eating like this in my life even when i was healthy.The stuff really works great for me.I would reccomend anyone who is having these problems to give it a try.

Greg

HI

when first DX I was on a losing streak! Put on a hight fat diet.

Had no apertite!!!

But soon as I had my first chemo treatment the pain in stomach area stoped apertite came back! I stopped the hig fat intake!!!!!

Now my Question is HOW TO STOP GAING WEIGHT?!!!!!!!!!

I try to watach what I am eating!! But want to eat most of the time!!!

I have gained 32 lb in3 mos.

My Dr. isn't concerned about the weight gain But I am LOL!

((((( hugs to all )))))

Estelle

Guest nutribabe

hi- there's a new product from novartis you can order online through the folks at walgreens. it's called "benecalorie"- in 1 ounce there's 330 calories- 7 gr protein and rest is heart healthy monounsaturated fat- you can mix in 1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup whole milk and that' can total 640 calories. it can be mixed as a shake with ice cream- people don't know it's even in there- and it's not like taking a "supplement". the prosure is good because an ingredient is in it that can actually help suppress the wt loss mode cancer can cause. good luck.