A tribute to the WONDERFUL Katie

Andrea

I am feeling punchy so I may ramble :) But I just feel a real need to post this and after reading Katie's post in the Grieving section, right now sounded about the right time. Here is what Katie said:

I hope we make a difference. I hope those of us left behind make a difference so that no more of our friends will have to die.

Katie, YOU have made such a difference on SO MANY levels. I hope you know how much we all love you and admire you.

On a personal level, and this is just me, one of over a thousand of your followers----Katie you inspired me just as you have SO many. I look at you and I see a pretty blonde girl (1 year younger than me, so you are a baby), with a dedicated husband, with two kids, with a full time job, and yet you have time for ALL OF US. You pick us up when we are down and you pay attention to ALL OF US. You have 1050 members. That is a lot of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you do it? I am sooo addicted to this board that I come home and have to check in first thing. Brian said I am obsessed and I agreed, I need to see how everyone is. We agreed it is ok as long as I stop crying each time I get good or bad news ;)

On an advocacy level--You are inspiring all of us to get involved. I look at you and I am like wow, how does she do it all and it inspires me to try and do stuff. If it were not for you, I personally would not have thought to get as involved, nor would I have ever thought I had the time and energy. Because of you, and this website, I am the lung cancer booth at Relay for Life. I want to help people here. My team will raise at least $1,000 for the American Cancer Society, hopefully more, which leads to more funds for a cure. And you do realize that so many here are doing Relay for Life too, right? Again, you inspire us. At the same time of the walk, I will pass out flyers from YOUR creation, this website.

And again, this is just me. Now you multiply me by all the others you inspired and all the others who are handing out flyers about this website and getting people involved and you suddenly have like a cult following!!!!!!!! I am serious when I say that within the next two years I expect to see you and Rick on 20./20 or Dateline.

All of this is because of YOU!!!!!! I searched long and hard in Nov 2003. This was the only home I found for lung cancer. There were no choices. Everything I do and how I think in my life has changed because of this website. YOU inspired me. So thank you!

I've had a lousy day today and have just been lurking tonight, not intending to post, feeling sorry for myself I guess, and just wanting to keep feeling sorry for myself, but I had to come out of hiding just to tell you that us newer folks to this site are at a definite disadvantage. All this time, I thought the tall, handsome man in the picture was "Tiny". All tall men are called Tiny right? Well, then I read what Katie said to "Tiny". . . . .

((TINY)) where have you been? off galavanting around the world with your handsome husband? Good to see your posts again! Hope you are doing well.

Geesh! Cut that out you guys. Girls get girl names and boys get boy names. Isn't that in the Bible someplace? :lol: Now I'm going to slink back into my little pity party. Good night, all!

Love and hugs to everybody,

Peggy

Well Peggy,

I guess I need to thank you! You just ZAPPED me out of my sadness with your comment about TINY!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

As you can see by looking at our Tiny, the name FITS???!!! Exspecially next to her handsome HUSBAND! Aren't they a gorgous tiny, and towering couple??? ((((love you TINY)))) not really making fun of you! Well, sorta!!

Thanks again Peggy for the pick me up! I was really sitting here crying.

You're welcome! I sat here and laughed when I realized that Tiny was the "she" in the picture. He needs to be called Tiny and she can be Tinyette! LOL!!! You know the old saying - never AssUMe anything - it just makes an *ss [out of] U [and] Me. NOW IT MEAN IT - GOOD NIGHT!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Katie,

You give a lot of yourself to all of us,

you are there with a shoulder when we need it the most,

you have so many ideas to get the word all over about

lung cancer.

You gave me what I needed to keep on going,

Thank you Katie,

J.C.

Andrea,

That was so kind of you. Yes, Katie and Rick you are so appreciated and such an inspiration. Thank you from the heart immensly (sp?). Many prayers for you and your beautiful family. Rick & Katie, can we see some more pictures of the children? I am sure they are getting so big. Rick, can you please post? Thank you...

Blessings, affection and huge hugs,

Karen

Good morning! I just wanted to add my thank you. Katie and Rick, thank you so much for this site. It really gives all of us have a "place", and we need it. Thank you.

Tiny: Your husband IS handsome, and you are beautiful inside and out, and so is everyone on this site.

My prayers today are for all of you,

Peggy

I have been feeling sorry for myself as well.. Ive been an emotional wreck and miss my dad..When I read your post yesterday Katie, I was too involved in my self to reach out, I couldnt let this one get by though..You have so made a difference, this website and the whole cancer journey has changed my heart forever, and it is because of you and Rick... I am sorry I wasnt there for you yesterday..XO

Katie,

Sorry I didn't send you a "Kick Me Up" with your grieving post - I try not to hang out there too much, ya know? I figure with all that's going on, everyone needs some time to grieve so I wasn't going to give you a fanny-kickin' for wallowin'. Right now, I think we all need time to roll with it...

As I've told you many times before, the site is a wonderful "place" surrounding a horrible journey. Never, in a million years, would I choose this journey, but as I've said before, I could never hope for better traveling companions than everyone here.

The numbers are kind of skewed as some of the members listed are sadly, no longer posting members. I refrain from saying "active" as they are still in everyone's memory and therefore still "active". Some folks that have registered have never posted but their presence is still felt and support can be gleaned by observing the strength and battles of others.

This website is like traveling the journey in a 1950s era red Cadillac convertible (I like the pink one, but it's too "Mary Kay" for the board - I think we're more a "red" group, screw that "invisible" stuff) - bad scans being wind-blown hair and bad scans/news being bugs in the teeth, but still a comfortable ride compared to the alternatives. GREAT shock absorbers here, and a real class act... Tune that radio to the oldies station and ease on down the road in something made prior to the "unibody" - I think it was called STEEL...

I am sorry you were experiencing a down day and hope the baby is feeling better. I can tell you from a few years of it that Single Mom-dom is NOT easy (not impossible, better than some alternatives and sometimes even "fun", but not easy).

One of the best parts is your "Momminess" on the Board. You allow things to play out before stepping in to remind folks to play nice. It's nice to be able to drop in a moment of perspective in a heated string....

Take care of you and yours!

Becky

Katie and Rick, this site is such a blessing...at the very least, there is camraderie and care...and I think it's not too far out to say you save some lives, even if it's only by some people being encouraged to seek a second opinion, or to get to the dr. NOW when symptoms get weird.

And the personal cost, emotionally, is plain to see. It takes a lot of strength to put so much of yourself into a family who will lose members :cry::cry: . Yet you stay to make sure all who come here will have love, comfort, knowledge and power.

Thank you seems so inadequate. But thank you, anyway.

I want to add MY thanks for all the hard work and dedication Katie and Rick have put in to make this site the "Home" it is. The fact that you have built this as a tribute to Katies Father says so much as to what type of people you are and the fact that you stuck with it after his passing just prove that you are 2 kind, caring, loving people.

You have always had a kind word for those that need it and even when your lives have been crazy you are there for others.

My prayers and best wishes are with you today and always.

God Bless,

MO

Rick & Katie,

This site is a tribute to Jesse. He is so deeply missed and will always be in our hearts. He fought the good fight and is now watching down over all of us and is so proud of what his family has given to all of us. He is saying, I love them so and I am so proud. There is so much admiration for Jesse and all that he did through out his life. He is a true hero. It shows through his beautiful daughter and son n' law. Thank you for all that you do for us. You are always in my prayers...

Blessing, affection and hugs,

Karen

This site is a tribute to Jesse, but it is also our lighthouse. As I heard Lance Armstrong quoted to say, "we are all at sea..." and what a blessing to be tossing about in the cold, dark and fright and find this light leading to hope, compassion, knowledge and support of people who reach out.

And for that I am so grateful to Katie and Rick and each of you.

Prayers always,

Margaret

In my amusement over Peggy's post regarding our Tiny, I totally forgot to say what I really wanted to say about our Katie and Rickey. :oops::roll:

FEEL THE LOVE (((((((KATIE & RICKEY)))))))

Where would so many of us be without YOU TWO???? Much LOVE, RESPECT, SUPPORT to you BOTH! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, VERY VERY MUCH!!!

Thank YOU Andera for bringing this to light!

You are SO LOVED and APPRECIATED!!!!!