How do you know if you have a cold?

Guest Phyllis

Guest Phyllis

This may sound kind of stupid, but I am not sure when I develop a stuffy nose, sneezing, runny nose and clear mucous producing cough is that a cold or is that related somehow to the growth of a tumor.

I am on my third round of carbo/taxol. With the first round my lungs dried up totally and felt great. With the second round my lungs felt a little tired, but the cough and stuff went away. I had the third round last Tues. still with the cough being pretty much gone. Today though I woke up with some facial edema, nose stuffy, and a cough. I know tumors can produce mucous. My docs in the past said that my tumors did not have anything to do with a cough. My ENT said it might be allergies, but the allergy medicine didn't really do anything.

I am a little paranoid because the other tumors seem to be shrinking after the two rounds of carbo/taxol except for my big 2.9 tumor in my right upper lobe. My one oncologist had said that I may have a resistance to chemo by now, but I have seen other people on here that have had as much chemo as me. I had Cisplatin, Xeloda, and CPT-11. Thanks for any advice. My blood count is a little low so I am susceptible to infections and stuff.

First thing, call the Dr and see what he / she says. Second, you are in Indiana and I am sure it is about the same as MO right now with EVERYTHING blooming. The oak pollen is so thick here you have to clean it off the windshield to see where you are going and the walnut pollen has just started. Chances are good it IS a cold or allergy but check with DR. to be sure! I had to try 4 allergy meds before I found one that worked for me.

God Bless,

MO

Phyllis

There is not such thing as a STUPID question, especially when it comes to cancer. Most likely it is allergies. It's springtime and everyone seems to be sneezing and coughing. If it doesn't get better then definately push your doc for some help.

Best of luck

Phyllis,

My advice (and I do this often enough to feel like a hypochondriac) is to call your doctor. Explain the symptoms and reiterate that you are currently going through chemo to jog their memory... Your doctor can decide if it's something you need to be seen for or if it's just allergies - and since your current allergy regimen didn't work, the doctor can prescribe something new....

I always check out anything "different" with my doctor even if it's something that would have been normal pre-diagnosis.

Also wondering if the bunch of us that now call with common ailments would be classified as HYPERchondriacs....hmmm...

Take care, and keep the Kleenex with you!

Becky

I have a friend who is a colon cancer survivor. Her nose runs chronically now for 3 years, and she claims the chemo is the cause of it. For a couple years after my chemo I had runny mucous membranes.

Just talk to your doctor, and don't panic.

It's hard not to be a hyper-chondriac (love that word) when one's health is 'fragile', but apply common sense liberally, and communicate with your doctor. You're part of a team!

XOXOX

MaryAnn

PS the sneezing kind of gives it away as likely an allergy or cold, but call anyway.

Guest Phyllis

You guys are great. Thank you for the responses. I did call my doctor and he swears it is allergies so I guess I will relax. I think I am about to turn 50 and am starting to fall apart. I have gone through a lot of kleenexes. Thank God for allergy medicine samples.