For Us All

gail

Bear with me here . . .

Tom died this weekend...dropped over dead at home, age 48, with his wife and kids there. 3 boys. All redheads. He coached soccer with my husband for many years, so it was those every weekend with the family . . .

The viewing is tomorrow and I know it will be packed. My husband, who is not a viewing person, is very firm about going. I may use an ativan. I know it is important to go, for Debbie and the boys.

His death made me think (duh) about my/our cancers. I am grateful that I've had these years. I was just telling Bob that these years have had their benefits . . we are much nicer to each other, and more joyous each day.

Thank you for letting me share.

gail

Gail,

I am so very sorry to hear that you have lost a dear friend. I remember when my sister-in-law took a turn for the worse (one of Mark's younger sisters - he's one of nine kids) I told Mark that knowing you were dying must be a sort of blessing, like God is giving you time to make amends and "finish" what you had been working on in life....of course, some things (like children) are never really "finished", but peace can be made with many for THEIR sake as well as our own. My big push after diagnosis and acceptance was to get a will on file - sure had no idea I might die some day (pretty stupid, huh?).

Again, my condolences on your loss. Loss of any kind is hard, loss of a close friend is a real bite in the butt.

Take care,

Becky

Gail, am so sorry for you and your friend's family. It is like we say on here all the time. No one knows when their day is whether we are sick or not. Only God knows that day. So we must live each day to the fullest and that is what Buddy and I tried to do since July 30, 2002, the first day of diagnoses. Any day, any time it can happen but we cannot dwell on that. We must learn to take our days here on earth one day at a time and be happy with that day.

Thank you everyone----

One the way to the viewing I popped an ativan. I don't seem to do these things well anymore--once I found myself making notes for my own viewing, so this time I decided the anti anxiety was called for. And it helped, because I was able to focus on Debbie and the boys.

It just brought back we could be gone, any one of us, any time. At least the cancer has taught us to kick back, stop and smell those roses.

thanks again

gail

Dear Gail,

Just saw your post and I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. My prayers are with your friend Debbie and her boys. Life can be so short - we really do need to "stop and smell the roses". I have to keep reminding myself.

Love and Hugs,

Nancy B

Gail,

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

I do understand what you mean about being given a gift in the midst of this cancer nightmare. Keith has told me a number of times that the one good thing that has come of his getting this disease is that we are able to appreciate each moment together and we never take our love of granted. We are closer and more grateful for one another and for all the gifts God has given us. I know that most of the time I feel devastated and cheated by this turn of fate, but there are moments of clarity where I remember that none of us are guaranteed tomorrow and we have been allowed to see the other side of the looking glass in that we have had a wake up call to life.

(((((Gail))))) Please let Debbie know that we are praying for her and her boys that God eases their pain and brings them peace.

Carleen