anyone had this occure?

Fay

My Mom is almost 8 weeks post chemo/radiation. Her next CT is in about 8 weeks. My parents went down to Arizona for a while. On Weds, after eating out, she started feeling yucky. Thought she had ate too much. She had night sweats and just felt bad. The next two days was much the same. She is clammy, her esophagus is bothering her again when she swallows pills. (She had radiation esophagitis which seemed to be better) and she has a heavy feeling on her chest (not sharp pain), the same side as tumor. No fever though. No difficulty in breathing. My dad is taking her to see a doc down there this afternoon. I'm hoping it is just a flu bug or from something she ate, but she is not feeling nauseated, just sweaty.

Any one have any ideas?

Fay:

I'm not sure whether your mother had surgery or not, I can't remember. When I had both surgeries, I experienced night sweats for a period of time following the surgeries. I have heard that some on chemo may experience that same thing. I asked my doctor about it, and was reminded that I had just undergone major surgeyr and that the body was healing. Over time the night sweats have ceased. Of course, whenever there is concern, talk to your doctor.

Hi Fay,

As for the night sweats, be it day or night, it is NOT uncommon for chemo to cause this. Chemo causes havoc on our hormones and some times it takes several weeks before night sweats or hotflashes start up. Of course this will depend on our mothers age as well. I was 43 when I completed my treatments, and holy cow about 8 weeks after chemo I had such intense hotflashes I couldn't stand them. Never had them in my life before chemo. So Chemo can and DOES cause these things to happen as well. As for the Esophaghitis, that one I don't know what it could be. Although they say the Radiation does continue to work in our bodies for up to 6 months after treatments. So, it could be radiation related. None the less, I am glad to hear your dad is taking her in. Keep us posted!

Best of luck to you All,

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

The doctor seemed to think it might be pneumonia. They did a CXR, but the doc wants me to send her last film down for comparison, I guess he found it difficult to read. He has put her on a couple meds. Hopefully there will be improvement in the next few days. I can relate to how those of you that are far from your loved ones feel, it is much harder to be involved by distance.

Best wishes to all,

fay

After two days on the antibiotics, my mom thought she was maybe feeling a bit better. Last night she began having severe pain in the shoulder and back. My dad took her into emerg, and they did a cardiac work up on her, but that wasn't the problem. EKG, and labs came back fine, and nitro didn't help. They gave her morphine 5mgx2 which seemed to help. CXR didn't show anything. She went home with the pain killers. The ER doc. wasn't quite sure what it could be. Maybe from the radiation? Maybe from laying on a not too good mattress for too long. Bone mets weren't mentioned to my dad, but I'm praying that it isn't that. It sure is hard being so far away. My dad is going to try and talk her into coming home (to Canada). Please keep us in your prayers.

Thanks,

fay