My First Prayer Request

stand4hope

I hope it's ok to make a prayer request for someone other than an LC patient.

My dad, whom I love with my whole heart, has had severe lung disease (COPD: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) for years. I have been looking after him for the past five years, since my mom died, getting his groceries, prescriptions, cleaning his house, washing his hair, etc. He hasn't been helpless, but just not able to do anything strenuous. For about the last four months of 2003 and in Jan. his disease was getting a lot worse. He was given several rounds of steroid dose paks, which didn't help much and he couldn't walk more than 10-15 feet without stopping to rest. On Jan. 30 he fell, broke several ribs, then got pneumonia, endocarditis, VRE and other things and is still in the hospital. All of the "new things" (ribs, pneumonia, etc.) have all cleared up, however, the lung disease has not gotten better - it's worse. He's been on a ventilator on a trach now for about two months and they have tried every possible way to try to wean him off, but his oxygen level drops dangerously low with almost every attempt, and the doctor told me they have just about done all they could. Tomorrow morning I have to go tell him that there isn't much else they can do and he is going to have to go to a skilled nursing facility in a nursing home. There are only two in Indiana that take patients on ventilators and feeding tubes. One is 50 miles away and the other is 150. He has tried so hard and wants to go home so bad, but it just isn't going to happen. Could you please add him to your prayer lists, and also pray for me to have strength and God's power to present this to him in a positive way. He's a very happy, positive man (age 76), but he just wants to go home. The doctor would probably tell him for me, but I want him to hear it from me. I know I can do it, and I know I will do, but my heart is breaking for him. I need help and prayers to get through this. Thank you all.

Love,

Peggy

Peggy

It is definitely ok for you to ask for prayers for your father. This board is not only about LC issues, but all the things going on in the lives of our LC family.

Whatever you need we are here for you.

I am so very sorry your father has been suffering so much from this COPD. I remember being there when my mother told my grandmother that she could not return home and I rememer how hard it was. The desire to be where you are surrounded by love and the things in your life that are a comfort and full of fond memories is strong and there is much grief in being kept from that.

I will surely pray for you and for your sweet father. I pray that you find the right word and the strength to do this with gentle compassion and love. That your words be received softly and with the intent and sincerity you surely feel.

I also pray that your father find growing strength and health so that his visit to a nursing facility be a temporary visit. May he see home soon and God restore his breath and vitality.

All my love and prayers to you and your family

Carleen

Peggy,

I am so sorry that you and your Dad have to go through this. You have an awful lot on your plate right now. My prayers are going out for you and your Dad. I am sure your Dad will understand that you are doing what is absolutely best for him - you have been a very caring daughter.

Take care of you too.

Love and hugs,

Nancy

Peggy,

My heart is aching for you right now. It sounds as if your Dad's mind is fine which makes it even more difficult. This distance is just going to be an added burden to you too.

This stress, Dad, husband and your leg are way too much. Make sure you take care of yourself.

Ginny

Peggy,

Sometimes you have to make a choice, and the choice has to be between 2 or 3 things, none of which you want to do, You just had to make that choice, you did the best you could and no one can fault you. Prayers going up for you, your Dad, your son and 'Tony'.

Blessings

Betty

Thank you all for your prayers (Yes, Don, I am QUITE a character :lol: ).

Today went very well. Dad took it just fine. I got myself all worked up over nothing - well, now that I think about it, I'm sure it only went well because of the prayers. I sent an email to all of our family earlier in the evening (last night) asking for prayers and nobody saw it, I guess, because nobody responded, so I posted on here and prayed that at least one person would pray with me before I went to bed. BINGO - Carleen to the rescue. I sent her a PM, thanked her, and told her, "Now I can go to bed." And, VOILA, today went very well. THANK YOU, GOD!!!! I visited the facility and I know that my dad will love it. I was incredibly impressed with the people. They clearly had an enthusiasm for their work and their patients. Plus, I talked to several other ventilator residents and they highly recommended it, said the people were WONDERFUL and the food was even great. Go figure. I thought this was going to be a horrible day and look what happened.

About your comments about everything that's going on in my life. It's true I do have a full plate. There's more I haven't even shared - our son is also giving us fits, but that's another story. I honestly can't explain how I handle it - I just do. I don't get depressed or upset, I just do what has to be done. I do feel overwhelmed at times (especially since I have a dirty house - I HATE THAT!, and I get the bills paid a few days late because of a shortage of time - I HATE THAT, TOO!), and I do get tired sometimes, but my attitude stays intact. I'm a pretty optimistic, cheerful person and can only credit that to my Lord, because there is nothing else particularly unique about me. I'm just one of the folks out there that has to work to make a living, is overweight and underpaid! :lol::lol::lol:

God has blessed me with really great coping skills, but he overdosed me on emotion. I know a lot of you are like that, too. Every time I read a sad post on here, I am overwhelmed with emotion. I cry when I watch Touched by an Angel, when a bird flies into our patio door (although right now it's so dirty with dog nose prints and dust, that hasn't happened for a while :lol::lol: ), when I watch the News and parents are looking for their missing child, etc., etc.

Well, anyway, this is way too long. I haven't been on the board all day, so I have lots to read and catch up on, a sink full of dirty dishes and a bath to take. I want to thank you all again so very, very much for your thoughts and prayers. Although I don't know you, ((((((I love you)))))) all with all my heart.

God bless you,

Peggy

Peggy,

I see I am so late in posting and even though I didnt see your post when you asked for prayers .. you had mine as you do every night. You are an inspiration to all of us. You just always seem to know the right thing to say so I am sure you knew exactly how to approach your Dad and did it with grace and style and yesssssssssss emotion!! I am a person that God also gave an abundance of emotion and sometimes I wish I wasent like that, other times I know that my emotion shows all that know me that my heart is pure and full of love.

I admire you Peggy. I wish and pray for the best for your Dad, your Hubby, your Son and for you my friend. God Bless you all.