Tarceva ???

S. Jane

My Dad heard about this on TV this morning. Apparently the third phase has proven it extends survival of SCLC! Don't know anymore about it - anyone familiar? Anyone know the company that manufactures it? When a drug has completed the third phase, what does this mean?

Thanks

This information is on CNBC TODAY. Joe Kiernan will be talking about this all day long he said. So if you want to look at CNBC (OSI Pharmaceuticals working in conjunction with Genentech are working on this drug. My Mom called me about this, so I guess I'll turn on the TV. This drug can be used in conjunction with chemo, and increases the rate of survival.

I'm really out of my league on this one.....Hope I'm not giving overly optimistic information to anyone. Guess my parents were pretty interested when they saw this on the news. With the thought that maybe Dad's chemo didn't work as well as hoped, they are searching for something to give some hope.

Guest Phyllis

Hi, I can't help you too much on this topic, but my oncologist is a clinical trial doctor. He did suggest Tarceva to me, but he said because the Iressa had not worked for me Tarceva would not either. Otherwise, we would probably have combined the Tarceva with carboplatin/taxol for me. Phase III drugs are ones that are in the final stage prior to getting FDA approval for release to the public. I don't know how long that process takes. lol

Well, I turned on that TV and was a bit perturbed that when Dad saw this, Joe Kiernan had referred to the drug as something for SCLC, when another reporter read about it, learned it is more for NON SMALL CELL. Bad reporting there.....They are comparing this to Iressa and Taxotere. So good news there are other things out there for NSCLC! Guess I'll take John's information and do some research on what he knows about drugs for SCLC. Thanks all. Poor Dad, they were so excited, kind of like the answer to their prayers, and I could shed a few tears because this is an additional disappointment (albeit brief). Guess we are all tense because of Wednesday's doctor appointment. My apologies for passing bad information for SCLC, but it IS GOOD info for NSCLC. I think I'll wait a bit next time.