Calling a Meeting- Pancoast Tumor survivors

Donna G

We have not gathered in so long! Please update us on how things have been going. We all miss Judy B.

Rita, Laurene Relyag, Tracy, Rocco, Kelly for her dad, Keith, Rita Bubb, Grammy bear ,Gary, mhutch1366 Please tell us how we are doing?

Pancoast tumors are squamous or adenocarcinoma tumors located in the superior sulcus or apex or the lung cause symptom of shoulder pain, weakness and other problems because they press on nerves , blood vessels, and the pleura.

Hi Donna,

Please forgive my ignorance, and if you wouldn't mind educating me, does a Pancoast Tumor simply refer to the LOCATION of the tumor, or is it it's own "sub-category" of lung cancer -- i.e. does it have it's own set of (irrelevent) statistics?

Pancoast tumors are named after Dr. Pancoast. He decribed the "syndrome" or problems that occur when a tumor is in the apex of the lung. This tumor accounts for less than 5 % of lung cancer tumors ( not common place to have a tumor) I have read that minimum stageing is IIB if you have a tumor in this area. Stats are depressing as usual. 5 yr survival of IIB is 47%, IIIA 14%, IIIB 16%. THE GREAT NEWS IS I passed 6 yrs since diagnosis last December. I vote all club members do the same! Donna G

PS Fay if you would like to join the club , I for one would be honored. We need a good fighter like you.

By the way Mary Ann , did I tell you my phone buddy and life line 6 yrs ago had a Pancoast tumor? He is now a 17 yr survivor!!!!!!!!!!!. He said he went to a chiropractor for months for the pain he had in his shoulder and chest. Of course he finally decided that was not the answer, went to the Dr. and found out about the Pancoast tumor. It had grown into several ribs. He had chemo, radiation surgery , removal of lobe of lung, the ribs etc. He never mentioned a gortex graft, but he did say it slowed his back swing and improved his golf game. May we all meet on a golf course in 17 yrs. Donna G

Quite a few have not checked in for the meeting. Tracy , we have not heard from you since 2/6 , Keith not since 9/14, Grammy Bear/Gary since 9/22, Rita Bubb, Rocco, where are you all, how are you doing, I am beginning to get worried. Donna G

Well, my mother is on her way to the six year mark. though it has only been about 2 months since they removed her Pancoast tumor. One thing we have noticed, her left eye droops now. I wonder if this is nerve damage? Also, she is complaining alot about the numbness on her back. Is this usually permanent? Every day with this there are jsut more and more questions.

The droop on the eye is common and known as Horner's syndrome, it is diagnostic of a chest tumor, but mine didn't appear until after the surgery.

I still have numbness almost four years later, but everyone is different. I think a lot depends on how much tissue was sacrificed in removing the tumor.

Congratulate your mother!!. Much of the numbness and eye droops get better. I only notice the droops with fatigue.

Prayers,

XOXOX

MaryAnn