New to this nightmare

Debbie

Im so scared i dont know what to do my husband has been told he has sclc and it has spead all over at less 3 places on his liver the Dr says maybe 2 to four weeks without treament he has finely agree to try them and has had too setting of cemo he has all ready had to have almost 20 units of blood or platelets so far and it has only been 5 weeks all he does is sleep he has lost over 15 pounds even tho he is still eating fairly well he is have pain tho not as much mostly in his legs and ribs if the cemo is helping should the pain get better how long dose it take :(

Deb

Debbie,

Is your husband bleeding someplace? To get 20 units of blood in 5 weeks is quite a bit. I have had several transfusions and usually get 2 units which holds me for a good 10 days to 2 weeks right now. I would be sure to have the Dr. check in to that if they haven't already. As far as a time line, we are all different. No one can say how long we have (or don't have). If he is now in chemo are they doing CT Scans to see if it is working? Where is his pain? Are they giving him something for the pain?

Prayers and best wishes being sent your way.

God Bles,

MO

Hi, Deb, and welcome. The pain will subside if it is caused by the cancer and the chemo is working. Should ask the onc for pain medication. Also, sometimes radiation is used in the area of pain to lessen pain. Sorry your husband and you have to go through this. We all know the road here. Don

Hi Debbie,

Like the others, I'm sorry you are having to go through this, but I'm glad you found this wonderful group of friends we call "family". You are going to love the the support you will get from these folks as much as I have. We are all here for each other whether we are crying or laughing, up or down, or anything inbetween. Oh, you'll also find a lot of humor, which really helps a lot!

God bless you,

Peggy

Hi Debbie,

I am so sorry about your Dear Hubby. I am here as you can see because my brother has stage 4 lung cancer. I am also here because I found a wonderful, caring "FAMILY" of people that will be there for you through the good, bad and the ugly. Please know that we ALL care!! I have learned so much through this board and the other forums and I am sure you will too. I was told that I needed to get a grip ( not by members here) when my brother was diagnoised but found I wasent able to as I had no idea what to do with all the sadness. I noticed that I was feeling like the whole world had changed and nothing would ever be the same again. I cried endlessly. I ended up having to go to my DR. for medication for depression and it DID help me get that grip. Having gotten that grip I was able to function again and to be able to help my brother, talk to my other family members etc and felt I had a new strength. I am not suggesting that you need or will need medication but I am saying never be to proud to know when something has hit you like a ton of bricks and you cant move them nor do you care to.

As for your husbands transfusions I agree that seems like so many in such a short time. ASK, ASK, ASK questions of your husbands oncologist so that you know and understand all there is to know. Keep coming here for support as this wonderful family are all here for you!! God bless you and your family.

Hi Debbie

Welcome to the forum, and sorry you have had to join. I am sorry for what you and your husband are going through. Like everyone else I also think that you should try to find out why your husband is needing so much tranfusing, especially if it started before the chemotherapy (which to me implies that the chemo is not the causal agent).

I am hoping your husband responds well to the chemo and am thinking of you both right now.

Jana

xxxxx

Hi Debbie,

Welcome.

I am sorry that you and your husband have to go through this.

May God give you strength.

Ask your doctors to explain what you don't understand, like WHY so much blood -- where is it going? and Why doesn't the sodium level stay up? and What can be done about his pain?

Keep us posted, we care...

XOXOX

MaryAnn

So sorry to hear about all your trials. I hope you can find some answers and the support you need here on this board. Low sodium can knock you flat, make you sleep all day and drain every last drop of energy from you. From experience it is a tough imbalance. Hope they can help regulate his level, as well as get his some positive results with the chemo. Glad you are here.

Hi Debbie,

I am so sorry you are going through this. When my husband was diagnosed in February, I was so stunned that I could not even begin to tell you exactly what details the doctor told me. My doctor gave me his pager number so either my husband or I could call anytime. At the beginning, I know I repeated questions, so don't hesitate to call and ask more questions to your doctor. As the chemo gets ahold of the cancer, your husband will feel better. My husband spent the first two months after the diagnosis in the hospital due to the severity of his blood clots. It is almost one month later, and he is now working full time from home and feeling much better. So hang in there and my prayers are sent your way.

Welcome Debbie,

I am so that you and your husband are going through this nightmare. I remember when my husband was first diagnosed I felt like I had been battered and beatened. I had severe anxiety and panic, fear, and such incredible sadness.

It is a lot to deal with, and there are not a lot of sources out there that give hope. Doctors are often times too negative and statistics are outdated and irrelavant and way too grim. Then I found this site, and met people who are beating this monster. There are survivors here who have been kicking LC A$$ for 26 years, 9 years, 5 years and many more. No doctor can tell how much time we have, only God knows that.

The one thing I had to learn early on is that doctors work for us, and we have the right to get our questions answered, be treated with respect, and be treated aggressively with hope and the intention for cure. Any doctor not willing to do that needs to be fired. Also get other opinions and advice. There are many doctors out there with different training and different experiences. It is sometimes wise to use more than one resource and more than one brain.

I agree with everyone here, that 20 units of blood does seem like a lot in such a short period of time. Ask the doctor to explain it to you, and do not let up until you are satisfied that they have exhausted all resources and testing to stop the cause of the blood loss and are not just treating the symptoms.

Also, the pain your husband is experiencing... Well, if the pain existed prior to receiving chemo, it should lessen as the cancer decreases. The positive thing is that SCLC reacts very very well to chemo. However, another thing to know is that if the pain did not start until after starting chemo, there are some chemo combinations that are hard on the patient's bone marrow and can be the cause of leg and joint pain. Carboplatin is one of those that I know of. While my husband was on it, he complained of pain in his spine, tailbone, legs and ribs. A few weeks after stopping chemo it went away.

I will keep you both in my prayers

Carleen