Chick is in REMISSION!

Went to my Dad's doctor's appointment received the good news that all was clear! I have to admit, we three sat quietly and somberly, and probably didn't give the response that the doctor had expected - he even had to repeat remission - complete remission! After what the PET scan technician had told my Dad, we had assumed that there was still visible cancer in his lung, but it turned out to be just a bit of fluid and nothing to worry about! Then we went on to discuss PCI. I initially started on the board to find out all I could about PCI because it is a major decision. I have to thank all of you who had ever posted anything about it, because I did search upon search and read all I could, and forwarded this to my Dad. After much consideration, he had decided against PCI. You can imagine our shock when the doctor recommended that my Dad get PCI! WHAT?! During initial meetings, the doctor indicated (my father believed) that he was against PCI. The second opinion we received, the doctor was FOR PCI. My Dad thoroughly trusts his doctor, and now, he is deciding he WILL do PCI. Dad flip/flopped his opinion within a 20 minute span! It must be a heady burden for a doctor to have that much influence. This will be happening within 4-6 weeks (hopefully to be over before Dad travels to the WWII Memorial dedication in Washington D.C.). I have passed on so much of your information that you all have posted, and well wishes to my Dad and me, so I'll be doing the same for all who read this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Chick is really happy to "know" of others in his situation.

Jane

Jane, that is GREAT news! I told you I thought he sounded alot like Dave with his diagnoses, treatment, etc. Dave was cancer free after his chemo, too. we decided to go for the PCI and really don't regret it. His doctors never flip flopped, they said at the beginning he would be getting it if he did well with his treatments. The only issue was that he responded well to the chemo and lung radiation, which of course he did. So we didn't question it too much.

I will tell you that the PCI AND the steroids (decadron) he had to take because of brain swelling from the PCI, WACKED him out big time for several months. Just did weird things to him, short term memory problems, short temper, etc. but that is all just about gone and he's all better now. Of course he is 39 and your Dad is probably older. Just keep that in mind and remember that in most cases it all goes away, just a matter of patience. We decided that those little problems were much better than the alternative (cancer cells sneaking into his brain!).

If he gets headaches, or a bad headache, after starting the PCI, that would be the brain swelling - let the radiologist know right away and they'll put him on decadron to relieve it.

I'm so glad you went to that appt. and are so involved with your Dad's treatment. It really does make a difference.

God Bless,

Karen c.

Thanks for all your responses. I sent them to my Dad "Chick". Please read in the SCLC section his reaction. Dad enjoyed thinking about doing the Happy Chick Dance. One interesting thing my friend has shared with my father is a newsletter that focuses on after you've received some treatment, what might go on in your life. Fears, hopes, living life as a survivor, expectations (My friend felt tired for one year after her breast cancer, but felt like that shouldn't be...) It is called "Heal" and we haven't received the first issue yet, but if you all are interested, I will pass on information when we receive it. We are all so new to this, I don't know what is out there for when the appointments are done, and you have to wait a few months before the next test, coping with so much uncertainty - especially with this horrible disease.

Jane