Why is he so tired?

Hi all,

I don't know what to do. Rob started gemzar and navelbine chemo a couple of weeks ago, it was right after finishing radiation (15 days) on his rib. He got really down, and no energy at all. The second time for chemo his WBC went down just below the borderline to where they won't give him the chemo. They just gave him a half dose and he seemed to start feeling a little better. Then the next day or two Rob noticed that his arm was all red and hard and swollen. Back to the Dr. and they said it must be cellulitus from the chemo leaking in his vein, or phlebitus (Spelled wrong?) So they said his WBC was up enough for a few antibotics. Its better now. Then last Friday, I took him in to see the Dr again. His WBC was really low, I think she said down to 4500 (?) enough to cancel the chemo. I thought since he didn't get the chemo that he would start feeling better this week. He's not. He seems to be getting weaker and all he is doing is lying on the couch and sleeping. I can hardly get him to eat anything either. He fell asleep the other night before dinner, and then woke up to come and eat. He sat at the table, and said he felt cold. Then all of a sudden, he got up and ran to the sink and threw up for about 2 min. straight. This is the first time since he was diagnosed that he did this. This was really strange, what does it mean? It it because of the WBC being so low? He also tells me that is is really weak, and he feels like he's got a weight on his chest. I know that with more tumors now in both lungs, its probably growing more since he can't do the chemo. From what I've been reading, the gemzar is really wicked stuff. I don't know if he should really continue to do this chemo. What kind of quality of life is he living here? We won't know for another month after the CT scan if this stuff is even working. He also needs to consider getting a port for the chemo because all of his veins are going flat. Its so hard to watch my husband go through all this!

Dear God, Please show us the way we should go with this horrible disease. I don't want him to suffer, but I don't want him to give up either!

Any advice would be helpful here. Thanks,

Tess

Hi Tess,

I can't answer any of the chemo questions because I haven't had chemo yet.I did just have a port put in and had no problem doing that.It was not painful or stressful.I did suffer from severe fatique for almost a month after radiation treatments.I had 15 treatments to the brain and 18 to the chest.For a full month after the last treatment I had no appetite and no energy at all.That can be the cause of some of his problems.I never had nausea though.I am someone will be along soon with answers about chemo.In the meantime I continue to pray for us all.And remember to take care of yourself in this process.It takes a whole lot out of you too.TBone

My heart is with you.

All I can offer is prayers and this thought. . .

I had chemo with my second breast cancer. I did not have a port, because I had "good" veins. And I had them for two chemos, and by the 4th they could barely find a vein.

I would have a port in a heartbeat.

gail

Tess,

You didn't mention if they gave him anything to boost his blood counts like Procrit, Leukine, or Nuepugine (sp)? These will help bring up his red and white counts after chemo. Being tired is common and usually improves later.

When John got his second chemo he had a vein leak and it was terrible. They had to give him about 12 shots around the site to neutralize the chemo, it was extremely painful. He had a port put in and was glad he did.

Gemzar was the chemo that gave John the most shrinkage. I hope this proves true for Rob also. Check into the shots for his blood counts and I think you'll see an improvement. Hang in there Tess.

Rochelle

Tess,

Gemzar was the only chemo that I was sick by the end of the day after my treatment. I would be weak and lots of fatiuge for about three days. While I recieved the Gemzar I had to give myself daily injections of Leukine and weekly injection of Procrit. Talk to your onc about these injections. I never thought I could give myself injections but, it was not bad if I used insulin needles. They are really fine needles that do not hurt much. I gave myself these injections under the skin on my inner thigh. I hope this helps. John

Tess,

In December of 2003 I started on Iressa. Three weeks later my breathing had deteriorated so much that I was at risk for having to be put on a ventilator. At that time I started radiation to shrink tumor masses which weere compressing the main bronchi to all 3 lobes of my right lung. After 15 daily treatments I started back on chemo. I was never so sick before, ever.

My point is that the nasty effects of radiation take a long time to go away, and when you start chemo and add those side effects you can easily get to a horrible level of cumulative side effects. In my case I declined further chemo because I felt the treatments were killing me. It took me about 4-6 weeks to begin to feel as if I might survive. In my case the Dr's didn't seem to place any importance on how I was feeling, they only cared about their area of treatment, (ie.rad. dr. only cares about radiation and med. dr. only cares about chemo, etc.).

It's likely your husband has simply reached tilt with the accumulated toxicities of the radiation and chemo added together. I know I did. In my case I went on heavy doses of anti-oxidants to help my body recover (my idea, not the dr's), and it seemed to help some. I'm still on them.

I had Neulasta and Procrit because my blood counts were so low but I can't say they helped me to feel any better. I just don't know.

One of the many things I hate about this disease is the way it keeps forcing us to choose between undesireable options....

Regarding the port: I went 18 months without one thinking "I'm almost done with chemo". Finally I gave in and got one. It makes life easier and I recommend it.

I hope Rob feels better very soon, Dave S

Hi Tess,

My husband is on Gemzar too and has not only gotten the blood bosters such as Procrit but also has had transfussions ranging from every week to every two weeks. Yes, he is tired---but he is still working from home everyday. So, he still has energy to work and have somewhat of a routine. I agree with the others----give the doc a call.