Chemo question

TBone

Hi everybody,

I had my 7th radiation treatment today and (knock on wood) I haven't had any leg pain since yesterday.I hope it stays away this time.I get my last radiation treatment on Friday.On Monday I start on Taxotere.One treatment a week for 7 or 8 weeks.This is my first chemo.Has anyone else started on Taxotere by itself?I see a lot of posts where it is combined with something else.I lost 40 lbs on radiation alone.Maybe they are afraid of that.I just haven't noticed anyone starting with just Taxotere.Any input would be appreciated.Praying for us all.TBone

I had Taxotere weekly, but mixed in w/ Carboplatin every 3rd week. However, if I am not mistaken, Ray is taking Taxotere by itself right now.

It's supposed to be a good drug -- with or without a combo!

Glad to hear the leg pain is gone!

Heather

Hi T Bone,

I was on Carbo/Taxol, last year I did not have any trouble with the chemo. I did get alittle tired on the third day, but I never go sick. I actually gained about 30 pounds. I was on for three weeks and then off for a week. My platelet count did really get low. The chemo did put me into menopause. I told the nurses and Docs , that God had a weird sense of humor. It also gave me something like arhritis. Just about every joint in my boby aches, from my feet, knees, hips,hands and elbows. But I do feel better, than I did before my chemo and radiation. I hope you do well.

TBone,

I hope you do really well on Taxotere.

Remember that statistics published in 1999 are from data gathered in 1997 about people who were treated from 1994-1996.

You are not a statistic. You are our friend, part of our family.

I hope the hip pain stays gone.

Prayers for us all,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Taxotere alone was Johns 2nd chemo. Prior to the taxotere he had carbo/taxol and his 3rd line chemo was gemzar. Wishing you all the best T. Make sure you drink lots of water, take some with you to the infusion center it will help a lot.

Hi T- I dont really have any answers, but I can tell you from my Dad's expierence that chemo didn't give him anywhere near the problems that radiation has. The radiation was a hundred times worse on him then the chemo.... I know everyone responds differently, but I hope that chemo is a breeze compared to the radiation for you too... The best of luck..

Jamie

Hey T-Bone,

Tomorrow I go for my 3rd cycle of Taxotere. I am scheduled for 6 rounds altogether. I also take it alone without any other chemo. I have it done 1 week and then I have 3 weeks off. I started on Gemzar and Cisplatin but it was not working so hence, the Taxotere.

I am having no problems with it. I get very fatigued 3 days after the infusiion for about 3 or 4 days. Other than that, nothing. They will give you Dexamethasone to take for a few days and probably Kytril for the naseau. I am not taking anything else.

I wish you the best of luck and I am very sure you will do well! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Ray A. is also taking Taxotere by itself.

Take care, T-Bone! My prayers and thoughts are with you.

CathyR :D

TBone, my husband took Taxotere but had a bad reaction and they had to stop it. I was sorry, too, because it's my understanding it is one the best first-line chemos out there for non small cell lung cancer, along with Taxol. He got decadron and nausea medicine in his iv prior to getting the Taxotere, but he did also get Carboplatin at the same time. They tried benadryl two weeks in a row in his iv to overcome the reaction, but it didn't work. He was severely fatigued, but got the Taxotere/Carbo at the same time as his lung radiation. Whamee - that was a hard hit! I haven't heard anyone else on here say they had a bad reaction and it appears that most tolerate it quite well except for fatigue. I will be praying for you, and SOOOOOOO GLAD YOU'VE HAD NO PAIN FOR 24 HOURS. YIPPEE!!

God bless you,

Peggy

Hi T Bone,

My brother will start taxo alone tomorrow. He was on carbo and gemzar prior to this and had great results but it stopped working for him.His CEA (tumor marker has doubled now from 8 to 19!!) That is why they have changed his chemo to taxo. He was given a medication to take the day before , the day of and the day after his chemo. It is called dexamethasone. What I was told from his nurse was that taxo can cause allergic reactions and this medication should help that so it does not happen. I wish you and He the best on this chemo. I have heard it is a really good one.

I am also glad that your leg pain is gone again and I pray it stays gone.

God Bless You

Jane

Tbone, I was so glad to read that your pain is better. You deserve a good break. My prayers are that the taxotere works wonders and that you have a great response with no reaction. I too pray for all of us each day.

Nina

TBone,

So glad to hear some good news from your neck of the woods---Lord knows you're due!

Geoff's mom was on Carbo/Taxol concurrent with her chest radiation, she stopped for the WBR, and starts it again tomorrow. So, I'm afraid I don't have much to add to the comments above rearding Taxotere.

Just wanted you to know that you are in our thoughts.

Melinda