what does "no change" really mean

shelliemacs

my father went to the dcotor yesturday just to see where exactly the progression of the diesease was since he isn't doing anymore treatment.

the doctor did scans about a month ago and yesturday only did x-rays of his chest area.

he said there was nothing different on the x-rays that wasn't there on the scans last month.

does this mean the cancer is the same, or can they even tell by x-rays anymore. i looked at the xrays and saw white and black, thats it. i could not tell what was what except for ribs.

are x-rays good enough or should i be insisting on more. but then again whats the point when no treatment is being done.

I do not think x-rays are good enough to say much. CT or PET scans are the best. I do not know why but my Doctors only order CTs every three months and PETs once a year. It may because insurance will not cover CTs but every three months. That is only a guess on my part. Rochelle would call it a "John fact". That is something I think up with out anything to back it up.

CTs are better but I have never heard of any one getting a CT every month. The other question is stable good or no change good, YES . I was told , I had NSCLC, that my tumor without treatment typically doubled every 3 months. No growth, stable , no change all sound better than that! Best wishes . Donna G

Well my situation is a little different. I was diagnosed in May of 2002, but did not start treatment until Dec of 2002. But still had CT scans once a month or so until things changed. If it was me I would want a CT scan done. I would not feel comfortable with just an X-Ray. Never had a PET scan. Of course everyone's disease and treatments are different. There is a protocol as to how often one gets a CT scan. I just graduated to the 3-month club. Worth asking the doctor why only an X-Ray. Be pro-active. Also below is a link that might help you. Hope this helps. Peace take care and God Bless.

Rich

http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/7_48.htm (Cancer Facts / Followup Care: Questions and Answers)

My scans are scheduled the same as Bruce's (luvmydog2) - and I've never had a PET scan.

I wouldn't be quick to say that a chest x-ray is useless, that's how my (less than 1") tumor was originally seen. May have been caught earlier on a CT scan, but I really had no reason for one...the x-ray that caught the "cloud" was to rule out TB when I was ill...ruled in pneumonia and when the pneumonia was gone, it brought into play an "Oh, sh*t!"

Take care, Shelly!

Becky

Mine was dx'd with an xray also. I get a CT scan every 3 months and an xray each month. They can tell from one month to the next if there is any change as they will compare them on a screen (at least mine does). I guess I would look at it as being stable unless the Dr. says otherwise.

God Bless,

MO

Mine was seen on X-ray, which led to CT which led to PET. I know the PET is very expensive and about a 2 hour test. I don't think my insurance would let them do one routinely without very good reason.

I think a lot depends on history of a patient--if they know they are looking at a chest x-ray of someone who has had cancer, they take a much, much closer look and investigate further.

My x-ray report said--"because of this patient's history, this should be thorougly investigated to rule out a malignancy." I am comfortable with x-ray as follow-up because my surgeon reads them and knows what he's looking at.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all: I am new to this but I will try......I was diagnosed in March of 03, had the right upper lobe removed with 26 lymph nodes..had Chemo, and 36 treatments of radiation..One week after the start of radiation, I developed lymphodemia of the right breast, 6 months now, and still have the same pain. The Pet Scan done on 4/04 has shown a cloud over the thorax, saying it is an inflammation from radiation..I am taking Prednisone for treatment..oxygen levels are good...I am not sure if anyone has had this happen to them, please let me know......

The doctors say that if its not an inflammation it could be a re=occurance, but insisit upon waiting for 2 months for another scan...

Would love any in put.......I am very tired a lot........

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Shelly, CT scans give more details than an x-ray. For instance, tumors can be caught on an x-ray as mine was. However, on the x-ray the tumor looked to be 10cm. On the CT, they found it was 8.5 cm.

And to get more complicated when they did the spinal thorax recently, they said the mass was now 5.7 cm. The onc explained since they were looking through the back, it was not as clear as a frontal thorax. That night, thanks to ER, I had a frontal thorax CT scan which was (supposedly) accurate in saying the mass was 5.2cm. (In 12 hrs., it couldn't have gone to 5.2cm. When you get down to tenths of centimeters, they can be misjudged due to a number of factors)

From what I can gather, the xray would indicate a major change in size. His doc is probably spacing CT scans far enough apart to avoid cumulative damage but close enough to watch the disease. If he had noted anything unusual, he would probably have ordered a CT. I would say it sounds as though the disease is showing no progression.

I worked with clinical biochemical diagnostic analysis for years and there were always mistakes. The high tech imaging scans I have had, show me that they fail. They reported small lumps on my adrenal glands but completely ignored a large tumor in my armpit. The PET scan was said to be negative despite a positive CT scan in less than 5 weeks. They are not going to admit to a failed test if it cost them money. The technical difficulties with theses tests, their high cost and the lack of accountability, assures a high fail rate. There is no alternative and very little one can do to get better results. The medical community runs the system for their benefit. You can buy a Pizza on Sunday night but you can’t get chemo on a weekend. MDs run medicine for MDs

Dan

I had x-rays every year for many years as part of annual check ups.When the xray finally said I had a problem it was to late,that lung got taken out.When the CT scan caught cancer in my remaining lung it was early enough to get treatment and hopefully live much longer and better quality of life.In my book CTs are much better than xrays.Also every time cancer was detected on CT it didnt show up on xray.I think they only will do them every 3 months tho.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)
The medical community runs the system for their benefit. You can buy a Pizza on Sunday night but you can?t get chemo on a weekend. MDs run medicine for MDs

Dan

I love it. Absolutely true as in

"we must get started IMMEDIATELY to save you. But, oh wait, tomorrow's a holiday, then the weekend........Oh well, a few days won't really make a difference."

:roll:

Cat