Need Your Opinions

Nancy B

Hi Everybody,

My surgeon called this morning - the upshot of the conference where he presented my case is to remove this "thing" and then biopsy it. There is no way to biopsy without a thoracotomy. I am having a PET scan on Friday to make sure I don't have cancer somewhere else that has met to the lung. He said the nodule will not show up on the scan as it is so close to the heart and the heart shows up "hot" - it will be obscured.

He also said we could just do another scan in a month to see if there is any change. That is so scary - if it is cancer I want it out NOW! What would you guys do? He said to have the PET and then think about it. My last tumor was in there for several years and was very slow growing. I had a chest x-ray in 1997 and it had grown from 1 cm to about 4 cm but they didn't compare with the last x-ray so they said "no change". Two years later it was 6 cm. I have these x-rays in my possession now. I just don't know what to do. I would appreciate all opinions. I am so glad you guys are here.

Oh, my son won the race and they signed the Plaza Hotel as a sponsor. He did the quarter mile in 6.07 seconds, 242 miles per hour. I am so proud of him.

Thanks again for your in-put.

Love and hugs,

Nancy

Nancy,

I am sorry you have to worry about all this again.

Have the PET to make sure this is the only thing going on....

Then you have to figure out what else it might be.

Is it worth it to wait and see? or just have the sucker OUT?

Whatever you decide, we're with you.

Good luck. Prayers...

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Nancy,

My non-professional opinion? Get it out. The thoracic surgeon who gave me my diagnosis said that time was of the essence (not exactly "right now", but "da*n soon"). I don't understand the hesitation...and the idea to let it GROW another month?? HUH?

An odd thought I have is what if it is a different kind of cancer? It hasn't been biopsied to tell...but I'll bet it IS possible, and that if it were a different form, it may grow faster than the previous one did...

Just sounds really, really odd to me. Lots to chew on (but I don't think I'd chew THAT long)...

Ever thought of a second opinion, and maybe a third?

Take care,

Becky

Nancy,

My advice--get that thing out of there.

My surgeon said until there is a tissue sample, there is no way of concluding cancer, but on the other side of the coin, there is also no way to rule it out. He wouldn't do a biopsy because of the pain, potential side effects, and the high possibilities of a false negative, which would be devastating.

After the PET, if surgery is still a go, I'd do it if I were you. We both know thoracotamies are no fun and recovery is not easy, but then you will know it's gone.

I hope everything works out for you...

Nancy--

I am NO doctor (and new to this scary LC world)--but I can tell you that if Geoff's mom had a surgical option she would be RUNNING to take it.

She was dx'd at stage IV--so we don't think we'll ever see that side of the fence.

It's a different cancer, but---I know my mom had NO DOUBTS with her 2nd cancer--she said "bilateral mastecemy ASAP, please!". It was no fun, mind you--but boy is she happy she had it. She is now NED and sleeps a whole lot better.

I just wouldn't want to see you regret anything later...

I know this is a tough decision--surgery is no cake walk. We are here to support you no matter what you decide.

Melinda

GET IT OUT

GET IT OUT

GET IT OUTOUT

When my breast surgeon removed my first cancer she said it looked fine. 4 days later I was sitting in her office hearing it wasn't. And needle biopsies have been known to miss. And I know people who died after surgeons said the breast lump was "nothing".

gail

Nancy,

If my docs had removed things completely in the first or even second operations I honestly believe that there wouldn't have been need of a third. And I don't think I would be dealing with multiple tumors on both the left and right sides of my mediastinum right now.

So I hope you will choose to have the thing removed. I am glad your doc is going the removal intact route, instead of the fine needle aspiration biopsy...there is a very real risk of seeding of malignant cells along the needle tract in FNAB. Best to get that thing out in one piece and without disturbing the tumor on a cellular level.

Tell S. congrats on winning the race.

Nancy,

If I can just add my 2 cents...

I don't know what you should do. It reminds me of when my nodule was first found.. I had an xray, a Cat Scan and a Pet Scan and it still couldn't be determined if my nodule was cancer because it was so small 1.1 cm. It was also in a place that couldn't be biopsied. My doctor suggested I have another Cat done in 2 or 3 months which I did and the nodule had grown.

Sometimes when the moon is full and the night is quiet I wonder what having the cancer in me an additional almost 5 months may have done. Guess if anything, I will find that out in the future.

If the upshoot of his conference with the other doctors was to remove it, then go for it Nancy. You've had cancer before..and if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..it most likely is a duck. Waiting won't make it anything else. I guess I do know what I think you should do after all.. get it out... but that's easy for me to say! :roll:

I wish for the best in whatever you decide....

Nancy,

Would it be a another lobectomy if positive, and would that compromise your breathing? If you just remove the nodule, what are the possibilities ol it coming back? I read in one member's profile ( Lisa, I believe) that she had 8 nodules removed and they all grew back. That is the thing about RFA in the lung too, it could grow back. In my case, a thoracotomy would be to confirm whether or not it is cancer. I asked my onc would it make a difference as far as treatment, and he said "no." Surgery entails a lot of pain and risks. If it were just one nodule, then your chances for a complete recovery are better though. I have numerous, and in both lungs. All of them are less than 1cm. I chose no chem at this time, as I am hopeful something bett comes along. So for now, since they are slow growing, I am waiting.

Cheryl

Nancy

I do not know what you should do, but perhaps get another opinion

unfortunately, I have nodules that also light up, next time they are gone--(actually they seem to move to a new spot) -this has happened many times, including my lymph nodes enlarging to over 2cms I had a medianstocopy done all negative---so with my record of scans, I would wait the month --

But for you--have you always had good scans with no changes? -how big is it now? would 1 month make it spread to an enormous size? have you received a second opinion from another surgeon/onc? Do they also say it is very unusual at stage 1B to have it appear 4 years later?

I know , not much help , but I would definitely get a second opinion before getting the operation done---

best wishes

eileen

Hi Nancy,

Just my two cents. I would go for having it removed to find out exactly what it is. Even after my surgeon pulled out 3 nodules and was poking around he told me after I woke up it was not cancer. But the biopsy ruled it was. I would not take anything for granted. Hope this helps. Peace, take care and God Bless.

Rich

Thank you everybody for all your replies. The surgeon said to have the PET scan (tomorrow morning) and then to think about what I want to do. It is very unlikely that this is a met from my previous cancer (it has been four years). It could be a new primary or a met from somewhere else or it could be nothing. I also have many basal cell skin cancers on my face and upper chest due to radiation therapy for acne when I was a teenager and he said that it is very rare but a basal cell can metastisize. It has been 3 weeks since my last scan - I think I will request another one next week. That makes a month. I just don't want to wait any longer.

He said the surgery can be alittle tricky as what is left of my left lung has now adhered to my chest wall and that will all have to be peeled off to get to the nodule. The conference docs also recommended only taking the nodule and some healthy tissue around it so they can leave some lung.

I feel like I am in such a fog. Should have PET results mid next week. Thank you all for your support and input. I find the support and technical info I get from this board to be very valuable.

Hugs and prayers to all of you.

Nancy