An India Company introduced Iressa's generic version

junelusd

All,

The ad said "Indian market..."

This is the first time that any pharma company is launching the generic version of Geftinib in Indian market. Geftinib is a selective epidermal growth factor receptor, Natco said.

The company has pegged the price of Geftinat at Rs 325 per tablet of 250 mg, which is 1/10th of the cost of the international brand presently available in the market. The said drug was invented and patent application was filed prior to 1995.

Even at 1/10 the cost, it isn't cheap.

Stuff like this is why the US FDA has been accused of being in bed with the pharmaceutical companies... although the FDA does have stringent MFG regulations, and has no way of knowing how irregular a facility beyond their oversight might be.

Darn... anyone going to India with a big suitcase anytime soon??

Prayers, always,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

While I can't speak for THIS drug I will tell you I JUST noticed that the generic "Claritin" (Loratadine 10mg) that I take daily is made in India. This is made for "Best Choice Health Care". It is carried in most grocery stores here as the generic for Claratin and is about 1/2 the price. They must have some rules in place for distrubution in the USA???

It would be nice since Iressa is my next step, lol.

God Bless,

MO

Mo,

I believe they can do that with Claritin because it is now OTC -- Over the Counter.

Don't think Iressa will hit that status anytime soon.

But wow!! Meds that should cost 3000 costing 300... BIG difference.

I hope the cost of ALL the chemos can come down.

XOXOX

MaryAnn